HBO confirms on working on four potential spinoffs of GOT

Dragonsbone

2 hours ago, Joy Hill said:

Well, it's official then. We are never ever getting ADOS.

Honestly, and without exagerating or being overly pesimistic: was there ever any realistic doubts about that? If we are lucky enough, he will finish winds in about 2020. ADOS was never an option. At least since he sold the rights to HBO. He has taken a different aproach, regarding his story. He will tell it through television. Side effect: he gains more money with this strategy and has more time for personal interests and personal life. Some don't like it, some don't blame him for this and some are just try to deny this to themself. It takes a lot, to become a literature giant who will last through history. If it was easy, everyone would be. With an unfinished series, he will be surely forgoten in some years and be nothing more than a sidenote in the literature history. But he never claimed to achieve more. He just wants to live his life, have fun and to be let in peace. Who are we to blame him for this? 

On 2017-5-5 at 6:00 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

This fucking sucks! :angry2: It already spells trash because we know damned well, based on the show that bores me to sleep already, that we won't come close to getting anything close to the real story.

If it was a different channel, because HBO is pretty one tracked tits and dragons, and definitely with NO D or D involved, then maybe.

Sometimes it is better to end on a high note.

Oh...but I don't understand it?! They said they would not be involved in anything GOT-related after the show finished? Is this for real?

Then I hope they aren't writers, at least

6 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Well, I think they did a good job until they outpaced the books. When they did, things didn't go well. Just look at the Dorne plot in Seasons 5 and 6, also would have liked to have seen more of the Blackfish.

I'd personally like to see Robert's Rebellion or Dunk and Egg as a show. To diverge into actors, I think they can still use the actors as Young Ned (Robert Aramayo), Lyanna (Aisling Franciosi) and Ser Gregor Clegane (Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson).

Yesa, I agree with that. But anyway, I'd prefer them not to be involved at all.

12 hours ago, Newstar said:

If it makes you feel any better, GRRM has retained a co-exec producer credit throughout the duration of the show, even though he hasn't contributed anything to the show for the last few years. Just because D&D are executive producers doesn't necessarily mean that they'll have any creative input. I think HBO's press statement even said that D&D are looking forward to a hard-earned break or however it was phrased.

No, it does not make me feel better because it is token title for GRRM because he signed away his leverage in exchange for dump trucks full of money.

25 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

They're executive producers. Whether they're actually involved or they're simply being given an honorary title is anyone's guess.

From wikipedia: "An executive producer (EP) enables the making of a commercial entertainment product. The EP may be concerned with managenet accounting or with associated legal issues (like copyrights or royalties).[1] An EP generally contributes to the film's budget and may or may not work on set [...] television, an executive producer often supervises the creative content as well as the financial aspects of a production." :D

So they are, just like GRRM is with Game of Thrones right now, the CEO's of the show, if you will. They are the managers. It is up to them, just as a CEO on a company, how much they do and how much they interfere in the show. They are on top of the hierarchy of the production. The bosses. Just like GRRM right now, a fact that strangely is often forgotten when discussed about GOT ;)

So what does that mea : everything and nothing. They could interfere everywhere, but they must not. 

7 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Well, I think they did a good job until they outpaced the books. When they did, things didn't go well. Just look at the Dorne plot in Seasons 5 and 6, also would have liked to have seen more of the Blackfish.

I'd personally like to see Robert's Rebellion or Dunk and Egg as a show. To diverge into actors, I think they can still use the actors as Young Ned (Robert Aramayo), Lyanna (Aisling Franciosi) and Ser Gregor Clegane (Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson).

Disagree, went off rails when the played favorites with characters, whitewashing some, defiling others.

3 hours ago, Dragonsbone said:

The bosses. Just like GRRM right now, a fact that strangely is often forgotten when discussed about GOT ;)

This can't be forgotten, because it's not true. GRRM is not the boss at all. He gives d$d suggestions, it's up to them whether or not they want to listen - which clearly they do not.

4 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Oh...but I don't understand it?! They said they would not be involved in anything GOT-related after the show finished? Is this for real?

Then I hope they aren't writers, at least

It's a nightmare, unfortunately. I'd really love to see some other producers/directors/other channel/ whoever take them helm of these stories instead. 

They will be named producers so they get paid, but won't have much involvement at all. The only reason they are named producers at all is so HBO can market this as "from the producers of Game of Thrones, comes...." in a trailer.

This happens all the time in TV shows, where people are given executive producer credit for being minimally involved in a show just so the show can be marketed as being associated with another hit show/hit movie.  Think how many TV shows have JJ Abrahms was an executive producer, where he literally has almost nothing to do the show at all.  (And if you didn't know, while he was directing and producing Star Wars and Star Trek movies, he had producer credit at the same time on about 10 different TV shows).

D&D will be producers but they will not be part of the creative team making these shows, and that's a very good thing.

6 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

It's a nightmare, unfortunately. I'd really love to see some other producers/directors/other channel/ whoever take them helm of these stories instead. 

It is. I hope I live long enough to see this stuff become a looong big movie. It can be done once the books are out.

10 hours ago, Darkstream said:

This can't be forgotten, because it's not true. GRRM is not the boss at all. He gives d$d suggestions, it's up to them whether or not they want to listen - which clearly they do not.

He chose not to be right from the beginning, I clearly stated that. But he is exec. producer nevertheless. He could have been, if he wanted to.

55 minutes ago, Dragonsbone said:

He chose not to be right from the beginning, I clearly stated that. But he is exec. producer nevertheless. He could have been, if he wanted to.

Yeah, before he signed over the rights to d&d, from that point on he couldn't have been the boss, even if he wanted to.

And you didn't clearly state that. What I responded to in your post was, and I quote, "The bosses. Just like GRRM right now..."

GRRM is not the boss right now, nor did he have the opportunity or authority to be the boss, since production of the show first started. That was the point of d$d buying the rights to tell his story; It made them the bosses of the show.

7 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

Yeah, from the moment he signed over the rights to d&d, from that point on he couldn't have been the boss, even if he wanted to.

And you didn't clearly state that. What I responded to in your post was, and I quote, "The bosses. Just like GRRM right now..."

GRRM is not the boss right now, nor did he have the opportunity or authority to be the boss, since production of the show first started. That was the point of d$d buying the rights to tell his story; It made them the bosses of the show.

Ok. I don't know exactly how a contract can dismiss the general rights of an exec. producer. I may be wrong about that, I admit. But actually, what I said was in general right. The exec. producer is the boss of a production. Whether GRRM is not the boss, because of some kind of special agreement in the contract, I don't know.

One can only hope those projects don't get off the ground. Or they end up being short nightmares that are quickly over.

Hopefully they will do stuff that nobody interests like Robert's Rebellion. They sure as hell should stay away from the Conquest, the Dance, or Dunk & Egg.

21 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

One can only hope those projects don't get off the ground. Or they end up being short nightmares that are quickly over.

Hopefully they will do stuff that nobody interests like Robert's Rebellion. They sure as hell should stay away from the Conquest, the Dance, or Dunk & Egg.

Speak for yourself sir. Some of us, would love all those ideas that you decline :P. Roberts rebellion is ok for me, but not something that I would totally freak out about. But there is also a huge fanbase for that. And I am not only speaking about the small audience that has read the books. I just hope that GRRM and HBO do not melk the cow until it is dead. 

2 minutes ago, Dragonsbone said:

Speak for yourself sir.

For who do you think I speak? The universe or Mother Church? I'm speaking for myself.

Archived