HBO confirms on working on four potential spinoffs of GOT

Dragonsbone

22 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

They will do one at a time and that is if it resuns successful.

Yeah. And I would think by the time GoT wraps and a potential spin-off gets underway, the hype train will have definitely died down by then. So they will likely get one shot out of this. 

Fear the Walking Dead barely got off the ground as it caught the tail end of the zombie hype.

On 5/10/2017 at 0:32 PM, SuperMario said:

There is a good chance that some or all of these proposed projects will fizzle out before they make the small screen. Let's hope that's the case.

I was under the impression that they're developing four separate treatments and planning to pick the one that's most likely to succeed, not that we'll get four simultaneous GOT spinoffs. It may be that HBO concludes that none of the proposed four spinoff ideas are viable, and that that's the end of that. 

I think a lot of the crying over GRRM never finishing his books due to the spinoffs, D&D being EPs, etc. etc. is premature. There are a lot of steps between the development of a TV show and the airing of that show, and a lot of projects, even the ones with pilots ordered, never make it to TV.

Maybe fans should wait until there's an airing date set for the premiere of the spinoff (or spinoffs) before declaring that the world is ending.

To be fair: they did not say that they will do all four storys. They will develop four concepts, and then decide with wich one they are going. I guess, they will go with the least risky one at first and see how that goes. This could mean, that the Spinn-Off may be highly related to the GoT series. This would probably exclude Dunk and Egg, since it has no direct connection to GoT. Also it is not only from the narrative perspective very different from GoT, but also from the stilistic point of view. It is more of a buddy-movie than an epic fantasy show.

I am not saying that this is per se bad, just that I do not believe that HBO is going that way. Also I am pretty sure, that this show would flop on television. Even if there are some book fans who would love to see it, the general audience would be very low for this. They got used to drama, politics, dragons, diferent characters, war, murder and epicness (I don't know how else to describe it). They will expect that from the spinn-off. Dunk and Egg is more for the hardcore ASOIAF, but not for general audience. They will see the pilot and just be like "WTF"?. All the Easter-Eggs to ASOIAF will be only relevant to book fans. But just a reminder: The books do not matter.

How about The dance of the dragons: Well it surely could compete to a certain degree with GoT. But it would be way to expensive, if they would do it. It would be probably more expensive than GoT. And that would be too risky for HBO, since it is not sure, whether there will be an audience for it. Remeber: GoT was at the beginning not that expensive. It grew with the popularity. But who is to say, that the Spinn-Off can nearly reach the ratings of GoT?. So I highly doubt about Dance. Same arguement goes with the conquest. 

So whats left is Roberts Rebellion.I guess not the one we book fans are most excited about. There is a lot told in the show, and hell of a lot told in the books. Of course not everything, since some mysteries are yet to be revealed. But still. There is not much new. But, as far as tv goes: known characters, known background, not expensive, not very risky if it flops. So HBO might end doing exactly that. To be honest, this spinn-off does not excite me at all. Another origin story. Another prequel. Yay ... :(.

Call me crazy, call me delusional, but I think that GRRM and HBO will do none of theese. I think we will get a completely new story, that we have never heard before. Something only for the television. It might not even be in Westeros or Essos. It might be in another continent. Maybe we will explore what lies in the west of westeros. Maybe a continent between westeros and the sunset sea. A continent so far, that they also have never heard of westeros and have their own storys to tell.  As John Lennon said "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I am not the only one" :D.

Or...you know...Roberts Rebellion.

53 minutes ago, Newstar said:

I was under the impression that they're developing four separate treatments and planning to pick the one that's most likely to succeed, not that we'll get four simultaneous GOT spinoffs. It may be that HBO concludes that none of the proposed four spinoff ideas are viable, and that that's the end of that. 

I think a lot of the crying over GRRM never finishing his books due to the spinoffs, D&D being EPs, etc. etc. is premature. There are a lot of steps between the development of a TV show and the airing of that show, and a lot of projects, even the ones with pilots ordered, never make it to TV.

Maybe fans should wait until there's an airing date set for the premiere of the spinoff (or spinoffs) before declaring that the world is ending.

Yeah, I assumed they wouldn't move forward with some or all at the same time and that likely one would win out. I don't equate the spin-offs to not having the books ever get completed. The books are not going to get completed anyway, so the spin-offs aren't going to change that. I just don't want to see spin-offs because I can't stand the show at this point, and if D&D are attached (even if just EPs), I fear for the product.

idk why anyone wouldn't want these to happen. 

if they don't get made, oh well. if they do get made and no one watches them, oh well. if they do get made and they suck, oh well. 

but at least give them a shot before you decide that they should never exist. 

1 hour ago, dsug said:

idk why anyone wouldn't want these to happen. 

if they don't get made, oh well. if they do get made and no one watches them, oh well. if they do get made and they suck, oh well. 

Because this is the internet and everyone here is a movie critic :D

2 hours ago, dsug said:

I gave them [d$d] a shot after season four when the show was starting to take a down turn, figuring that they knew what they were doing and had a plan. I even gave them a shot after the travesty that was season five, figuring that the show couldn't get any worse, and that perhaps they could turn things around in season six and find a way to get things back on track. After the appalling drivel that was broadcast on my television screen in season six, posing as an adaption of ASOIAF, I am done giving them a shot. 

If d$d are associated in any way with the spin-offs, it would be an huge disservice to the source material, and I will not be giving them any more chances, that bridge has long since received the dracarys treatment.

49 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

I gave them [d$d] a shot after season four when the show was starting to take a down turn, figuring that they knew what they were doing and had a plan. I even gave them a shot after the travesty that was season five, figuring that the show couldn't get any worse, and that perhaps they could turn things around in season six and find a way to get things back on track. After the appalling drivel that was broadcast on my television screen in season six, posing as an adaption of ASOIAF, I am done giving them a shot. 

If d$d are associated in any way with the spin-offs, it would be an huge disservice to the source material, and I will not be giving them any more chances, that bridge has long since received the dracarys treatment.

good 4 u 

I'm sure they appreciate your leniency. 

19 minutes ago, dsug said:

good 4 u 

I'm sure they appreciate your leniency. 

As I'm sure they appreciate you pleading with their critics to give them another shot.

If you're going to make a comment stating that you don't understand something, it's quite unbefitting to make a snarky comment to someone who explains their reasoning to you.

1 hour ago, Darkstream said:

As I'm sure they appreciate you pleading with their critics to give them another shot.

If you're going to make a comment stating that you don't understand something, it's quite unbefitting to make a snarky comment to someone who explains their reasoning to you.

Too bad you didn't explain anything. You gave a rambling response about how generous you are to watch the show and how D&D don't deserve you or someting. Seems rather arrogant if you ask me. 

Besides, D&D aren't writing anything so your one man war against a couple of strangers won't matter with the spinoffs. 

1 hour ago, Darkstream said:

I have read your coment above and this is the most exagerated use of the term "reasoning" I have ever heard.

Also, you jut picked up one line of dsug and took it completely out of the original context to underline your hate about the show. You did not respond to the question at all. 

27 minutes ago, dsug said:

Too bad you didn't explain anything. You gave a rambling response about how generous you are to watch the show and how D&D don't deserve you or someting. Seems rather arrogant if you ask me. 

Besides, D&D aren't writing anything so your one man war against a couple of strangers won't matter with the spinoffs. 

25 minutes ago, Dragonsbone said:

I have read your coment above and this is the most exagerated use of the term "reasoning" I have ever heard.

Also, you jut picked up one line of dsug and took it completely out of the original context to underline your hate about the show. You did not respond to the question at all. 

Maybe you both should try reading my comment again before making asinine comments. I quite clearly - in response to a post saying that they should be given a shot - explained how I already gave them several shots to put out a product that I think is worthwhile, and they failed in doing so. That is why I don't feel like I am obligated to give them another chance, and don't want them involved in another adaption of a story that is very dear to me.

If you guys like the crap fest that d$d have produced, then fine, but don't go online telling other people that they have to give them another shot. I don't have to give the spin-offs a chance if I choose not to, and if you don't want to hear me ranting about my hatred of the show, then keep your suggestions to yourselves, and stay out of public discussion boards.

35 minutes ago, Dragonsbone said:

Also, you jut picked up one line of dsug and took it completely out of the original context to underline your hate about the show. 

Please do explain the context then. It seems to me he was saying to give the spin-offs a chance, which I explained why I won't. I'm sorry if the reasoning that I use to make decisions for myself are not up to your standards.

4 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

Maybe you both should try reading my comment again before making asinine comments. I quite clearly - in response to a post saying that they should be given a shot - explained how I already gave them several shots to put out a product that I think is worthwhile, and they failed in doing so. That is why I don't feel like I am obligated to give them another chance, and don't want them involved in another adaption of a story that is very dear to me.

If you guys like the crap fest that d$d have produced, then fine, but don't go online telling other people that they have to give them another shot. I don't have to give the spin-offs a chance if I choose not to, and if you don't want to hear me ranting about my hatred of the show, then keep your suggestions to yourselves, and stay out of public discussion boards.

The only asinine comment I saw was when you replied to a post that was neither a question nor directed at you, and, as I said, gave a bizzarre, rambling answer about how you think you have given the writers enough chances to impress you or something, because you, Darkstream, are clearly the only person who watches game of thrones and has an opinion on it, and D&D should focus on pleasing you, o mighty Darkstream, above all else. Apparently. 

Your sad and self admitted ranting about your hatred of a television program is strange in its own right. Your inability to handle fans of Game of Thrones on a Game of Thrones fan board is laughable. You telling me to keep my opinions to myself, when you, Darkstream, jumped on a post that had nothing to do with you and rambled about how you are so above something like Game of Thrones is truly hysterical. You advising me to stay out of public discussions, while simultaneously lashing out at an internet stranger over sharing their opinion in a public discussion because you don't like it absolutely fucking hilarious. 

Heres a tip for you. If you don't like the people associated with a television program, don't watch it, and don't force your hatred down the throats of its fans on a website dedicated to its fans. 

1 hour ago, dsug said:

The only asinine comment I saw was when you replied to a post that was neither a question nor directed at you,

Sorry, I didn't realize that I didn't qualify under the category of "anyone."

and, as I said, gave a bizzarre, rambling answer about how you think you have given the writers enough chances to impress you or something, because you, Darkstream, are clearly the only person who watches game of thrones and has an opinion on it, and D&D should focus on pleasing you, o mighty Darkstream, above all else. Apparently. 

Please explain where you get this gibberish from. I gave my thoughts to a comment I read on a public forum. I was speaking for myself, not anyone else. And I never once said or implied that others couldn't watch and enjoy the show if they wanted to, or any of the other bs you're spouting. If you're going to make these false accusations and try to put words in my mouth, then show me the quote where I said any of this.

Your sad and self admitted ranting about your hatred of a television program is strange in its own right. Your inability to handle fans of Game of Thrones on a Game of Thrones fan board is laughable. You telling me to keep my opinions to myself, when you, Darkstream, jumped on a post that had nothing to do with you and rambled about how you are so above something like Game of Thrones is truly hysterical. You advising me to stay out of public discussions, while simultaneously lashing out at an internet stranger over sharing their opinion in a public discussion because you don't like it absolutely fucking hilarious. 

Again, where do you get this garbage from? I think you have every right to share your opinions. The reason for my statement was because you obviously can't handle what comes with doing so. "If" was the key word in my comment. IF you can't handle the responses that come with sharing your opinion, and telling others what they should do, then yes, you shouldn't do so. I could care less if you heed my advice or not, I only state this in your best interest.

Heres a tip for you. If you don't like the people associated with a television program, don't watch it, and don't force your hatred down the throats of its fans on a website dedicated to its fans. 

Force it? I have every right to post my opinion. IF you're to insecure in your own belief that the show is good, and are only looking for agreeable views, and bias confirmation, then maybe you should just stick to PMs and only discuss the show with fanboys such as yourself. 

If you don't like the people associated with a television program, don't watch it,

You mean just like I stated were my intentions? Thanks for the enlightening tip!

Archived