HBO confirms on working on four potential spinoffs of GOT

Dragonsbone

29 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

Sorry, I didn't realize that I didn't qualify under the category of "anyone."

You don't. I was making a general statement addressing the sentiments I had observed on several fan sites. I have no interest in the ramblings of R&R escapees like yourself. 

Please explain where you get this gibberish from. I gave my thoughts to a comment I read on a public forum. I was speaking for myself, not anyone else. And I never once said or implied that others couldn't watch and enjoy the show if they wanted to, or any of the other bs you're spouting. If you're going to make these false accusations and try to put words in my mouth, then show me the quote where I said any of this.

You told me why you couldn't be bothered to watch a hypothetical spin off. I said good for you and carried on with my day. Apparently, my response wasn't satisfactory for you, so you continued to instigate a disagreement. 

And yes, you do not seem to handle positive things about the show well. I see your posts everywhere in the TV section; bitching about this change or that. If a poster god forbid says something positive or neutral about the show, you insist on challenging and antagonizing them. We've all seen it. In this case, literally all it took was me saying something slightly optimistic about a spinoff that may or may not even happen to get you all triggered. 

Again, where do you get this garbage from? I think you have every right to share your opinions. The reason for my statement was because you obviously can't handle what comes with doing so. "If" was the key word in my comment. IF you can't handle the responses that come with sharing your opinion, and telling others what they should do, then yes, you shouldn't do so. I could care less if you heed my advice or not, I only state this in your best interest.

Did I tell you what to do? Was I bossing you around and demanding you do anything? No. I casually said I think we should give the spinoffs a fair shot before deciding they should never happen. If I was addressing you, I would have tagged you. 

And please, how pretensious most one be to claim any of the bullshit they post is in someone else's "best interest"? It appears you seem to think yourself quite clever, which is fine, but don't bother trying to impart your wisdom on me or anyone else, because you just make yourself look more arrogant than you already do quite frequently. 

Force it? I have every right to post my opinion. IF you're to insecure in your own belief that the show is good, and are only looking for agreeable views, and bias confirmation, then maybe you should just stick to PMs and only discuss the show with fanboys such as yourself. 

Ahhh calling me a fanboy, the true sign of defeat. I can't handle criticism, so I should just go away. A boring argument that we've all heard before. A bad argument, too. 

If you are going to rant and rave, as you yourself said you will, confine it to the threads marked rant and rave. We don't need your self admitted hatred infecting every conversation, and I personally don't need your smart ass replies on things I say that are not related to you.

since we are sharing wisdom in each other's best interest, apparently, I would advise you to find some hobbies that don't aggravate you as much as watching Game of Thrones does, and maybe even make a friend or two. Take care. 

43 minutes ago, dsug said:

I said good for you and carried on with my day.

No, you made a smart ass remark, which I returned in kind.

I'm not going to bother responding to the rest of your post, as it's just a bunch of false accusations and bs.

And I see you edited out your lie that I don't frequent the book forum, as anyone could check my profile and see that your full of shit. The vast majority of my posts are in the book forum. Nice try though.

24 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

No, you made a smart ass remark, which I returned in kind.

I'm not going to bother responding to the rest of your post, as it's just a bunch of false accusations and bs.

And I see you edited out your lie that I'm don't frequent the book forum, as anyone could check my profile and see that your full of shit. The vast majority of my posts are in the book forum. Nice try though.

Nahhh I made a casual remark about giving a potential spinoff a fair shot, because no matter what happens with it, it doesn't really matter. You quoted me with a long rant about why you won't. I said good 4 u, because I had no response to what you said. But you continued to instigate. 

And yes, I edited out that remark because I realized it was untrue, as I was thinking of another poster. So I guess you can relish in that "victory" if you like, because it's the only one you've gotten today. Again, take care. 

In other news, I think a Conquest or a dance prequel is almost a sure thing. I don't think they'll do anything in Essos, as that is just too much of a detour from the core show. Maybe a flashback to the Doom or something, but I don't think anyone's interested in a series set in Essos. I'm still recovering from the Slavers Bay and Braavos storylines lol. 

D&D have already said multiple times that they wouldn't be involved with the writing for these spinoffs in any shape of form. so i don't even get whey anyone's worrying that they'll ruin it. if this spinoff ends up sucking, it won't be their fault. 

22 minutes ago, Tifani said:

D&D have already said multiple times that they wouldn't be involved with the writing for these spinoffs in any shape of form. so i don't even get whey anyone's worrying that they'll ruin it. if this spinoff ends up sucking, it won't be their fault. 

Pretty much. 

I thought it was common knowledge that D&D are burned out and are looking forward to washing their hands of the show and moving on to other projects. Why would they then come back and interfere with a spinoff? The EP credits for D&D on the spinoff will likely mean as much in terms of actual input to the show as GRRM's co-exec producer credit on GOT has meant in the last few seasons: nothing.

11 minutes ago, Newstar said:

Pretty much. 

I thought it was common knowledge that D&D are burned out and are looking forward to washing their hands of the show and moving on to other projects. Why would they then come back and interfere with a spinoff? The EP credits for D&D on the spinoff will likely mean as much in terms of actual input to the show as GRRM's co-exec producer credit on GOT has meant in the last few seasons: nothing.

seriously. it seems like some people here are just looking for any reason to whine, moan and complain. how exhausting. 

53 minutes ago, Tifani said:

Exactly. DD have made it pretty well known that they are so over Game of Thrones, so if they're credited as EPs, it'll probably be a vanity title rather than some serious position. 

7 hours ago, dsug said:

Nahhh I made a casual remark about giving a potential spinoff a fair shot, because no matter what happens with it, it doesn't really matter. You quoted me with a long rant about why you won't. I said good 4 u, because I had no response to what you said. But you continued to instigate. 

Again, no. You made a smart ass remark about how much the d's appreciate my leniency. Therefore I made similar remark back to you. You then went on to spew a bunch of bs accusations and presume to tell me what I think in a very condescending and insulting manner.

Nothing in my original post, or any of my posts, in any way, would support the accusations you were making. Obviously, as you just admitted, you had me confused with another poster, and attacked me based on the comments made by someone else.

And yes, I edited out that remark because I realized it was untrue, as I was thinking of another poster.

Well if that's the case, and you don't want falsehoods in your comments, you have a lot more editing to do.

So I guess you can relish in that "victory" if you like, because it's the only one you've gotten today. Again, take care. 

Yeah, despite what you want to presume about me, there is no relishing. Do you think this is some ever so important competition or something, that there are score cards, and a victor? Please, I don't need to claim, or strive for some petty victory over some random guy on the internet.

If it makes you feel better, go ahead and claim a victory in this asinine, and pointless conversation we just had, it's naught to me.

1 hour ago, Newstar said:

I agree, much like GRRM's vanity co-exec producer credit on GOT.

Yes, yes, yes. If they'd had their druthers, they'd already be finished work on GOT, since they wanted seven seasons and not eight.

I kind of hope the GRRM-helmed spinoff, if one of his treatments is chosen for a series, crashes and burns, so all those who whined about how GOT would have been 500 times better with GRRM running things instead of D&D will STFU.

Yes I have to admit, I would get quite a bit of enjoyment from that lol. But I'm a team player lol, so I'd rather it to succeed. If GRRM wrote a series about the Dance of the Dragons (fans self) I would swoon. As long as it's good. If it sucks then I'd LOL. 

And yeah, D&D aren't like reinventing the wheel with their writing or anything. They're solid Hollywood dudes. They're not writing the most sophisticated thing on the planet, but I think calling it "abysmal drivel" is also a bit of a stretch. The scripts are serviceable. I think we will look more fondly on it once we're a little further removed in a few years, and the show hating counterculture thing fucks off. 

2 hours ago, dsug said:

Take care. 

The idea of an RR series doesn't really excite me anymore. We've already seen the biggest mysterious thing about the Rebellion, which is what happened in the Tower of Joy. And logistically, I don't wanna see a million recast actors and people imitating the older versions of the characters. 

Id rather see a fresh cast, able to build their own characters, rather than just do a Mark Addy or Sean Bean impresssion for x amount of episodes. Which is way the Conquest or the Dance is a lot more appealing to me, personally. I'd rather get to know Aegon or Rhaenyra. 

I still think every obvious idea for spin-off sounds boring. Conquest has extremely straightforward plot and quite a little room for characters. Dance ends with (presumbly) more sympathetic side totally losing and was always written pretty much just for the fans of fake history. HBO acts logically, but I just still can´t see what interesting would come out of this.    

1 hour ago, Rhodan said:

I still think every obvious idea for spin-off sounds boring. Conquest has extremely straightforward plot and quite a little room for characters. Dance ends with (presumbly) more sympathetic side totally losing and was always written pretty much just for the fans of fake history. HBO acts logically, but I just still can´t see what interesting would come out of this.    

To be fair, although I already stated that I too do not like any of those ideas in particular, all prequels that have ever been made from an ongoing saga are straight forward and have little room for characters. Examples: Star Wars, The Hobbit, Fantastic Beasts. That is just the nature of prequels. They have to end up at a known given point. The story is already known through the original saga. The prequels just blow this story for profit. And it does never end good. 

That is why I hope, that they will do something different. A complete new story. Not from the books or any other known material. 

And this is in general regarding the last posts here:

It is completely irational to complain about something that is not even made yet. If it is not good, so what? Do not watch it. If it is good then great. I did not liked the last two books of ASOIAF of GRRM a bit. I think that the show did a way better job than GRRM from this particular source material. So what? I still hope the next book (if ever finished) will be just as good as the first three books. If it (in my opinion) still sucks, I still will be excited about ADOS.

Someone stated this famous quote "GRRM is not your bitch". Gues what, D&D are not your bitches either. You have the right to complain if you don't like something. But you do not have a reason to complain about something yet non existent. 

This is all entertainment. Nothing more. GRRM is not the best writer in history. His books have no deep implications to the human nature nor does they solve our problems. D&D are not the best producers in history. The show is purely entertainment. Nothing more. Just relax and enjoy what both parties offer to you. If you don't: do not read or watch it. Enjoy life. Do not let hate lead you through life. Read something else. Watch something else. What a waste of your life is it, to come to a forum and constantly complain about fiction? 

15 minutes ago, Dragonsbone said:

To be fair, although I already stated that I too do not like any of those ideas in particular, all prequels that have ever been made from an ongoing saga are straight forward and have little room for characters. Examples: Star Wars, The Hobbit, Fantastic Beasts. That is just the nature of prequels. They have to end up at a known given point. The story is already known through the original saga. The prequels just blow this story for profit. And it does never end good. 

That is why I hope, that they will do something different. A complete new story. Not from the books or any other known material. 

And this is in general regarding the last posts here:

It is completely irational to complain about something that is not even made yet. If it is not good, so what? Do not watch it. If it is good then great. I did not liked the last two books of ASOIAF of GRRM a bit. I think that the show did a way better job than GRRM from this particular source material. So what? I still hope the next book (if ever finished) will be just as good as the first three books. If it (in my opinion) still sucks, I still will be excited about ADOS.

Someone stated this famous quote "GRRM is not your bitch". Gues what, D&D are not your bitches either. You have the right to complain if you don't like something. But you do not have a reason to complain about something yet non existent. 

This is all entertainment. Nothing more. GRRM is not the best writer in history. His books have no deep implications to the human nature nor does they solve our problems. D&D are not the best producers in history. The show is purely entertainment. Nothing more. Just relax and enjoy what both parties offer to you. If you don't: do not read or watch it. Enjoy life. Do not let hate lead you through life. Read something else. Watch something else. What a waste of your life is it, to come to a forum and constantly complain about fiction? 

Obviously, Hobbit is "prequel" only in the movieverse and Fantastic beasts is one only in indirect sense, but essentially I am also against this kind of storytelling.

I guess the rest wasn´t directed at me...    

1 hour ago, Rhodan said:

Obviously, Hobbit is "prequel" only in the movieverse and Fantastic beasts is one only in indirect sense, but essentially I am also against this kind of storytelling.

I guess the rest wasn´t directed at me...    

Yes of course. I am only speaking about movies. Not books. 

And you are right. The rest was not directed to you :D

9 hours ago, The Dragon has three heads said:

You did watch the last two seasons...right? 

Up to then it was salvageable, now it's a bit of a train wreck we all watch on in horror as the books get spoiled.

However I'm willing to give a new spin off a shot, hopefully others have learned from the mistakes of d and d. Hopefully.

The last two seasons have nothing to do with this spinoff. D&D aren't writing the spinoff. This is not a hard concept to grasp

17 hours ago, The Dragon has three heads said:

You did watch the last two seasons...right? 

Up to then it was salvageable, now it's a bit of a train wreck we all watch on in horror as the books get spoiled.

However I'm willing to give a new spin off a shot, hopefully others have learned from the mistakes of d and d. Hopefully.

If they'll still be part of the  new show (even as executive producers, after having previously denied any future involvement in other spinoffs) I don't think it's a safe bet to think others will have learnt of their mistakes. On the contrary. But who knows.

[mod] Knock off the personal comments about other users. If you have a problem with someone or think they have a problem with you, nobody else wants to have to skip over your bickering to read the damn thread. You have options - report, ignore, or private message. [/mod]

I quite like the Reynes of Castamere for a prequel miniseries. Seeing Tywin wipe a couple rebellious houses of the face of the earth would be glorious. 

They could fudge the timeline and have Joanna still be alive, so we could finally meet the most elusive member of the Lannister family. Young Jaime and Cersei, too. 

What I am going to advice might be cliché on its own, but it could be worth a shot. While I don´t have any links, I think Martin himself was talking about future possible literary spin-off consisteng of Braavos stories. So, I think Free Cities  might be the best choice for setting of plot that wouldn´t have to be prequel. It´s exotic, yet it would still be somehow europanesque, it would be logical sequel to GOT with it´s Reneissance to Middle-Ages of Westeros and it would have a huge fantasy founding stone with it´s valyrian history. And it´s possibillity for totaly unknown characters and story.   

Archived