HBO confirms on working on four potential spinoffs of GOT

Dragonsbone

1 hour ago, dsug said:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/536859.html

GRRM confirms all four scripts are prequels, and outright says there's probably a fifth one coming. He specifically says they are NOT doing Dunk & Egg or Robert's Rebellion. They might not even be confined to Westeros.

Interesting. I didnt think either of those were the way to go anyway.

Yes it could be cool to watch RR play out on screen because of how invested we are in several of the characters, but as GRRM said, it would be completely predictable and we would know all major plot points and outcomes before series even started.

Robert, Ned, Ser Barristan, Jaime, Cersei, Tywin, Hoster Tully, Blackfish, etc would all have to survive the series whole, so there would be no danger or real risk to those characters from the audience perspective.

Aerys, Rhaegar, Rickard, Brenton, Ser Arthur Dayne, Ser Gerold Hightower, etc would all have to die and we would know exactly how they die. 

As for Dunk & Egg its too far removed from Game of Thrones and would only probably have a small cult following rather than potential for massive mainstream hit.

Even apart from knowing the ending, my other issue with the idea for Robert's Rebellion as a series is that, considering that one of the biggest arguments for it is the ability to use characters the audience is already familiar with, most of them don't do much of anything (people always talk about casting a young Cersei, for instance, but Cersei does nothing at all in that story other than show up at the end and marry Robert; same with Catelyn, whose only role is marrying Ned; Lyanna, after disappearing, spends the entire war hidden away in a tower and then dies giving birth, something we've already seen dramatized on GOT).

53 minutes ago, Rhodan said:

Well, I haven´t been satisfied with Martin´s Not a Blog post like that in a long time :D.   

Actually I felt quite different. What I read was, that he broke his word when he stated that he won't be involved in any other project until winds is done. So bye, bye winds....

Yeah, I haven't been dissatisfied about a Not a Blog post like that in a long time. If you actually want to read TWOW, you shouldn't be happy. If you want to read spin-offs and watch spin-offs, then you should be happy as a clam.

10 hours ago, dsug said:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/536859.html

GRRM confirms all four scripts are prequels, and outright says there's probably a fifth one coming. He specifically says they are NOT doing Dunk & Egg or Robert's Rebellion. They might not even be confined to Westeros.

Interesting. I guess HBO must have passed on Dunk & Egg, since that was the TV treatment GRRM seemed to be excited about when asked about it in the past.

Who's this fifth author? He says it's a "great guy," someone who knows almost as much about Westeros as Elio and Linda. Any guesses? BryndenBFish, maybe?

GRRM's post also seems to clarify that these are five separate ideas, as opposed to two or more writers competing to write about the same thing.

Someone on the ASOIAF Reddit guessed that the fifth writer is Bryan Cogman. GRRM has praised Cogman's knowledge of Westeros in the past. Also, GRRM has also indicated that the spinoff writers have been meeting with him, and Cogman tweeted not long ago about meeting with GRRM. Cogman seems like a good guess. 

13 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

Two of the settings are super obvious imo, Dance and Conquest.

Yeah. Dance would be my pick if I had to choose  one. It would be the closest of the two to GOT.

I believe the Blackfyre Rbellion is also a good possibility.

2 hours ago, Newstar said:

Interesting. I guess HBO must have passed on Dunk & Egg, since that was the TV treatment GRRM seemed to be excited about when asked about it in the past.

Who's this fifth author? He says it's a "great guy," someone who knows almost as much about Westeros as Elio and Linda. Any guesses? BryndenBFish, maybe?

Preston Jacobs is my guess :D. Imagine the feedback...

47 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

Two of the settings are super obvious imo, Dance and Conquest.

The Conquest would not be a particularly interesting setting for a drama.  The Targaryens curbstomp everybody, other than the Dornish, and Dorne is super unpopular with TV audiences.

I think the Dance would make a great series (and, if HBO is looking to continue a show as long as possible, it could extend into the tumultuous regency period that GRRM has apparently put a ton of thought into), but the question there would be budget.  The show has to carefully ration how much we see of the dragons (often just Drogon), whereas the Dance would need to have tons of them.

3 hours ago, dsug said:

So what are we thinking here, people? The Conquest? The Dance? What else?

My personal guess is that the two ideas that George submitted (one was approved, the other not) are the potential novels that he mentioned in this 2005 interview: a novel on Aegon the Unworthy, and the other a murder mystery set in the Free Cities.

I honestly think that the Dance and the Conquest are unlikely. Game of Thrones, which is a consolidated and successful product, can only afford a single major battle per season. Filming any of those conflicts would imply costs that it's unlikely that a brand new series can cover.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect a Game of Thrones 2 in terms of themes and structure. Instead, I's more likely that we'll get side stories with conflicts that are not central to the Westerosi realm. Things such as the voyages of the young Sea Snake around the world, the adventures of Ser Jeffory Norcross of the Kingsguard, or a love story between a Bracken and a Blackwood.

46 minutes ago, Dragonsbone said:

Preston Jacobs is my guess :D. Imagine the feedback...

LOL. I posted after my initial post that Cogman is a good guess for a few reasons. Cogman still being involved with GOT is a good reason to keep his name secret.

Assuming it is Cogman, I'd be very interested if Cogman's treatment is nixed and one of the writers not previously involved with GOT gets to helm the spinoff. 

29 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

The Conquest would not be a particularly interesting setting for a drama.  The Targaryens curbstomp everybody, other than the Dornish, and Dorne is super unpopular with TV audiences.

I think the Dance would make a great series (and, if HBO is looking to continue a show as long as possible, it could extend into the tumultuous regency period that GRRM has apparently put a ton of thought into), but the question there would be budget.  The show has to carefully ration how much we see of the dragons (often just Drogon), whereas the Dance would need to have tons of them.

I think it has then exact same issue that RR, has but it has them dragons. Also has what I think is the big selling point of dance as well as the former, which RR doesn't: great female roles and flexibility.

Those are the only two settings I really see as viable towards a mass market aside from preconquest, which I'm certain is another setting. not enough people are going to care about Braavos and such lol, fall of Valyria would be cool though

1 hour ago, Ingelheim said:

Yeah. Dance would be my pick if I had to choose  one. It would be the closest of the two to GOT.

I believe the Blackfyre Rbellion is also a good possibility.

I don't think it would involve a Blackfyre Rebellion. George said it would not involve any characters currently involved in the show or anything with D&E. And D&E focused on the 2nd Blackfyre Rebellion.

And since the show has never mentioned the Blackfyre Rebellions, I don't think the spin-offs would tackle that time period. Of course, I could be wrong as they have 5 scripts.

3 hours ago, Newstar said:

Who's this fifth author? He says it's a "great guy," someone who knows almost as much about Westeros as Elio and Linda. Any guesses?

Werthead speculates at his Wertzone that it could be Daniel Abraham, a long-time good friend of George who also writes the ASoIaF comic books and has recent TV experience from The Expanse. I thinks it's a very good guess.

1 minute ago, The hairy bear said:

Werthead speculates at his Wertzone that it could be Daniel Abraham, a long-time good friend of George who also writes the ASoIaF comic books and has recent TV experience from The Expanse. I thinks it's a very good guess.

That is a good guess. I was wondering if the spec about it being Cogman might be correct, since GRRM talked about meeting with the spinoff writers, and Cogman tweeted about meeting with GRRM recently. Abraham would also make sense.

Archived