HBO confirms on working on four potential spinoffs of GOT

Dragonsbone

New interview is out at EW.com with HBO's head of programming about the prequel. Upshot?

1. There will be only one prequel, and they're developing multiple spinoff treatments so that they can pick the best one.

2. D&D will not be involved at all and the EP credit was only to put their names on the prequel out of respect (and it sounds like even the EP credit for D&D is no longer happening, since they don't want their names associated with the product).

3. It sounds as if there are varying levels of collaboration between GRRM and the four (five?) spinoff writers, but in every case, GRRM will be reading the scripts and giving his opinion.

4. Spinoff may be a limited series. Apparently "everything is on the table."

On Invalid Date at 10:33 PM, The Dragon has three heads said:

Despite him asserting to the contrary many, many times?

He would be sick of not being finished, yes, but that's art. It takes as long as it takes.  He would be sick of the shows overwhelming divergence and spoiling of his ending.  He would be sick of being hassled about winds.  He would be sick of being told he'll never finish.

For me I'll just be happy if winds makes it out, anything after that is a bonus.

And maybe he's just sick of these characters and truly wants to move on to something he enjoys.  Do you actually though expect him to come out and say it?  As for me I'm okay with where it stands, nothing that I have seen from the advanced chapters of book 6 makes me want to read it.

On 3.6.2017 at 7:41 PM, Byfort of Corfe said:

And maybe he's just sick of these characters and truly wants to move on to something he enjoys.  Do you actually though expect him to come out and say it?  As for me I'm okay with where it stands, nothing that I have seen from the advanced chapters of book 6 makes me want to read it.

What? You are not dying to see what Alayne, Ariane, Damphair and Barristan are up to? :P

I think he's sick of the characters as well, which is why he wants to work on other projects.

But come on, with exciting characters like Quentyn and the Damphair, how can he not be enthralled to write more! :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, SuperMario said:

I know that. I was just making a joke that some of the characters he introduced in the last 2 books were not interesting.

Of course if you believe Preston Jacobs, Quentyn is still alive.  I actually like Damphair, and Quentyn's chapters weren't bad. Arriane's chapters were the worst for me. 

14 hours ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

Of course if you believe Preston Jacobs, Quentyn is still alive.  I actually like Damphair, and Quentyn's chapters weren't bad. Arriane's chapters were the worst for me. 

Yeah, I've seen PJ's videos on that and other theories as well, but I personally do not feel he is alive. If he is then TWOW will be even more bloated. I don't mind Damphair's chapters, but I don't really care for him as a character.

Hilarious to see D&D lovers bashing GRRM's books. That's like attacking Serj Taknian while adoring Miley Cyrus: doesn't sound too credible, to say the least.

Personally, I'm not overly interested in Arriane and her story and I think ASOIAF could do without her POV. But even her chapters are pure joy compared to the mess D&D create with their arguably most "complex" (actually, confusing and illogical) character, which is Cersei, whose story in the show is totally absurd and whose character in the show never made much sense, not even in the first season (dear god, that ridiculous scene in which she supposedly comforts Cat in episode 2 was truly insufferable).

Not to mention Dany in the show. I thought she's finally done with inspirational speeches, after every other episode in season six ended with one of those. But no, judging by the trailer for new season, she has more in her. What a character development, right? LOL!

Show Cersei might be the best thing D&D have done. I think it's widely recognized that they did a great job with that character. Like many, I prefer show Cersei to crazy book Cersei.  Nothing is perfect, but so what?  But show haters are going to hate, even outside of their protected hate thread.

Dany giving firey speeches is true to her character. That's who she is.  It will all come back to bite her in the end. She's not going to sit the Iron Throne. She won't even survive, I predict. 

2 hours ago, SuperMario said:

Yeah, I've seen PJ's videos on that and other theories as well, but I personally do not feel he is alive. If he is then TWOW will be even more bloated. I don't mind Damphair's chapters, but I don't really care for him as a character.

Yeah, Damphair as a character might not be very interesting, but his chapters give good insight into the culture of the Iron Islands, which to me is more interesting than Dorne.  Damphair will probably be kept alive to be a POV window into Euron's story. I don't think Euron will get POV chapters, as GRRM doesn't like to give us too much insight into the most mysterious and conniving characters. 

2 hours ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

Show Cersei might be the best thing D&D have done. I think it's widely recognized that they did a great job with that character. Like many, I prefer show Cersei to crazy book Cersei.  Nothing is perfect, but so what?  But show haters are going to hate, even outside of their protected hate thread.

Dany giving firey speeches is true to her character. That's who she is.  It will all come back to bite her in the end. She's not going to sit the Iron Throne. She won't even survive, I predict. 

I disagree. I cannot stand show Cersei. Lena is a good actress, but I don't like the direction they took Cersei. Book Cersei is crazy, but you understand why. And at least she is funny. Book Cersei's treatment by the High Sparrow was valid and you understood it. Show Cersei did the same things to earn that treatment, yet because of D&D's love of the character, they made you feel sorry for her. The High Sparrow and his followers were made out to be these evil people. And now show Cersei blows up half the city and just inherits the throne and no one says a word? Pretty stupid if you ask me.

But that's the last I'll say on it as we are getting off the original thread's topic.

1 hour ago, SuperMario said:

I disagree. I cannot stand show Cersei. Lena is a good actress, but I don't like the direction they took Cersei. Book Cersei is crazy, but you understand why. And at least she is funny. Book Cersei's treatment by the High Sparrow was valid and you understood it. Show Cersei did the same things to earn that treatment, yet because of D&D's love of the character, they made you feel sorry for her. The High Sparrow and his followers were made out to be these evil people. And now show Cersei blows up half the city and just inherits the throne and no one says a word? Pretty stupid if you ask me.

But that's the last I'll say on it as we are getting off the original thread's topic.

Well, I guess there's not much more to say about the original thread topic since there is no new information about the next GoT show. We can only speculate.

I hope it's set in the age of heroes or during the time of the original long night.  We need some magic elements.  I don't want to see a Targaryen-centric show.  They kind of bore me. 

On Invalid Date at 9:07 PM, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

Well, I guess there's not much more to say about the original thread topic since there is no new information about the next GoT show. We can only speculate.

I hope it's set in the age of heroes or during the time of the original long night.  We need some magic elements.  I don't want to see a Targaryen-centric show.  They kind of bore me. 

Long night would be too much fantasy-centric already, IMHO and therefore unlikely. As would be anything predominantly valyrian..

I too would love to see something on Robert's rebellion, specifically the Battle of the Trident.  After reading the books, the fight between Robert and Rhaegar is probably the most anticipated 1-on-1 fight for me.  But I wouldn't mind seeing backstories such as the Mad King's reign, the Dance of the Dragons,  the Blackfyre Rebellion, etc...

Archived