Was Myrcella meant to marry Willas Tyrell

devilish

Robert had flaws. He didn't understood finances or women. I don't blame Robert for what happened. Cersei is pure acid who ruined the Lannister's legacy (ie by convincing Jamie to become KG), went on to ruin the Baratheon dynasty (ie by cuckolding and then killing Robert) and will probably ruin Tommen's legacy too (arming the faith and making sure that the Tyrells and the Lannisters clash). Having said that, he should have known that sleeping around will not impress his lady irrespective if the lady in question is Cersei or Lyanna. 

However there's 1 thing that can't be placed into doubt. He certainly knew the importance of alliances. He couldn't have won the IT without it. Robert was the weakest of the 4 military leaders who lead the rebellion. Ned had the entirety of the North at his back and most of the Riverlands at his side. Same thing can be said about Arryn who had most of the Vale at his back and the Riverlands at his side. Similarly to Arryn, Hoster had to confront some dissidents including one of his top bannermen who decided to remain neutral (Walder). There again, his daughters marriages unified the North, the Riverlands and the Vale. In terms of men, Robert was weak. He brought no alliances to the mix and half of his bannermen rebelled against him. Despite everything, he was able to beat the odds against the mad king and convince his stronger (in terms of men) Lords to bend the knee.By the time Balon rebelled, Westeros answered in kind. 

Robert's decisions soon afterwards were top notch (in terms of diplomacy). He made sure Selmy recovered which brought a living legend at his side. He married Cersei which brought the Lannisters to the fold but resisted the urge to release Jamie from KG. That meant that Tywin would have no choice but to either handle CR to Tyrion or to one of Robert's sons. Stannis mess up in marrying some random girl whose family had equal claims to the Reach could have brought trouble to the crown. Robert mitigated that by giving Renly the Stormlands probably with strict instructions to become close to the Tyrells. That calmed a potential diplomatic mess up.

His idea to marry Joffrey to Sansa was yet another great idea. With Arryn dead, the Vale, the North and the Riverlands had no obligation to defend KL from a potential siege apart from the King's orders. With Jon dead and Hoster old, the task of leading the three regions would have gone to Ned, a man whose relationship with the crown got strained the day Robert refused to punish the kingslayer for his crimes. Sansa was Ned's daughter, Hoster's granddaughter and Robin's cousin. Having her in court and married to Joffrey would have automatically consolidated Robert's and Joffrey's rule over Westeros.

Which makes you wonder whom would the other two children marry?

- If Robert is aiming to CR's gold, then Tommen will not be his to give. Tywin would probably expect his heir to go to CR immediately, he would find him a bride to marry himself and he would expect Tommen to change his surname to Lannister.

Which leads us to Myrcella

As said, future queen Sansa is Ned's daughter, Hoster's grand daughter and Robin's cousin. If there's a war then they will be obliged to answer to Robert's call. The crown burnt bridges with the Greyjoys. Theoratically Robert could marry her off to Theon with the promise of the latter getting the iron islands. There again, Theon would probably not survive a week as LP after that. Dorne were still licking the wounds and as we know Arrianne is going to inherit Dorne which means any marriage between Myrcella and Trystane will be wasted. 

In my opinion she was meant to marry Willas. It makes sense. The Reach has the biggest army of all 7 regions. Its also the food basket of a big chunk of Westeros. 

What do you think?

I mean logically it makes sense. But I don't think Robert cared all that much about his dynasty. If someone tried to claim the throne from Robert, then I actually doubt he'd be all that bothered as long as it wasn't a Targaryen. His decision to marry Stannis to a Florent didn't seem to be politically minded at all; it was either a snub or a "Here's a girl of similar age and decent status, whatever". Giving Renly Storms End was also the same; either a snub to Stannis or a gift to him. Marrying Joffrey to Sansa was a decision not based on the alliances it would bring but more because Ned was his old friend. So, no I don't really think marrying Myrcella to Willas is something Robert would think of. I doubt he planned for the future of his dynasty at all.

I actually don't think it had been considered too greatly.  Even Tywin knew the political value of a princess, and he remembers how long Aerys waited to marry Rhaegar.  Of course, Aerys was desperately trying to conceive another daughter on his own for Rhaegar, and when that failed he sent Lord Steffon to Essos for a Valyrian bride, but still... Tywin held back offers for Cersei for a very long time, wanting to make Cersei and Rhaegar happen. 

Myrcella, prior to the WOT5K, wasn't too young to be engaged (by Westerosi standards), but I think she was too young by royal standards.  After all, before the war the Crown Prince was only recently engaged, and that was a matter of a few months.

By Twyin's own words, he was pleased with Tyrion using Myrcella to make the Dornish alliance.  If Myrcella had been engaged too young, during peacetime, that political capital would have been wasted.

I don't really know, I mean the Tyrells are rich but Renly is scheming to get Robert to dump Cersei for Margaery.  Of course that would have led to a huge break with the Lannisters but assuming that Jon Arryn was still alive releasing Jaime from his vows and maybe marrying Myrcella to Renly would smooth things over.  Tywin gets his heir back, he still has a marriage link (yes, I know that Myrcella is very young but marriage could and did wait years sometimes) or maybe Jaime could wind up marrying Sansa.  As for the Greyjoys I see little need to make a marriage bond but if you have to maybe you convince the Tullys to let them marry into Edmure's line.

1. The North is still pure Stark through Robb, Bran and Rickon.
  2. The Tyrell's are linked to the Baratheons.
  3. The Lannisters get their heir back and are either married into the Baratheons or the Starks.
  4. Robert could also try to get Ned to marry Arya into Dorne.

Through Robert and Ned's friendship the great houses are all tied together.

On 5/5/2017 at 2:15 PM, Adam Yozza said:

I mean logically it makes sense. But I don't think Robert cared all that much about his dynasty. If someone tried to claim the throne from Robert, then I actually doubt he'd be all that bothered as long as it wasn't a Targaryen. His decision to marry Stannis to a Florent didn't seem to be politically minded at all; it was either a snub or a "Here's a girl of similar age and decent status, whatever". Giving Renly Storms End was also the same; either a snub to Stannis or a gift to him. Marrying Joffrey to Sansa was a decision not based on the alliances it would bring but more because Ned was his old friend. So, no I don't really think marrying Myrcella to Willas is something Robert would think of. I doubt he planned for the future of his dynasty at all.

You narrated my thoughts on this perfectly. 

Before Tyrion, nobody mentions any matrimony plans concerning Myrcella. Not Bob (why on Earth wouldn't he tell Ned?). Not Cersei. Not anyone else, either. So, the most logical conclusion would be, she wasn't meant to marry anyone yet.

On 5.05.2017 at 9:15 PM, Adam Yozza said:

I mean logically it makes sense. But I don't think Robert cared all that much about his dynasty. If someone tried to claim the throne from Robert, then I actually doubt he'd be all that bothered as long as it wasn't a Targaryen. His decision to marry Stannis to a Florent didn't seem to be politically minded at all;

Who says it was Robert's decision in the first place?

To be quite honest had peace reigned in the realm, Robert lived and all was well with the Joffrey - Sansa match I think Myrcella would have been betrothed to Robert Arryn. Or Tyrstane Martell still. Robert makes the most sense as this way she goes to the heir to the vale and will be mother to the future Arryn line. But Trystane would be a good political move in order to tie Dorne more effectively to the Baratheon rule of the kingdom. Even though she would not get to be the wife of the heir it would still serve a solid political purpose.  

And politically Robert should have betrothed Joffrey to Margaery Tyrell not Sansa Stark as it again solidifies the dynasty. He could have betrothed Tommen and Arya to keep his ties with Ned and the North. With Sansa then wedding Willas.

33 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

Who else would have? I doubt it was Stannis' decision and only the King could have compelled him to agree to the match.

No idea, frankly. It could have been Stannis' own idea, or Jon Arryn's, or - I guess, physically possible - Bob's, or the Florents' themselves. If you say "not Stannis", then I say "why not, exactly?".

7 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Before Tyrion, nobody mentions any matrimony plans concerning Myrcella. Not Bob (why on Earth wouldn't he tell Ned?). Not Cersei. Not anyone else, either. So, the most logical conclusion would be, she wasn't meant to marry anyone yet.

Who says it was Robert's decision in the first place?

He made the decision without Cersei's consent.  Shit, he didn't even ask Ned.  Robert told Ned what's up and demanded acceptance.

"I have a son. You have a daughter. My Joff and your Sansa shall join our houses, as Lyanna and I might once have done.”
This offer did surprise him. “Sansa is only eleven.”
Robert waved an impatient hand. “Old enough for betrothal. The marriage can wait a few years.” The king smiled. “Now stand up and say yes, curse you.”
“Nothing would give me greater pleasure, Your Grace,” Ned answered

Of course Cersei objected to the match, but that's because she's retarded.  It's actually an excellent political match, and would have hypothetically joined houses Stark, Baratheon, and Lannister in a single generation.  Tywin never voiced displeasure with the match (that we're aware of), and even if he did, he would have kept his mouth shut.

5 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

I was talking about Stannis + Selyse. Which we don't know how happened.

Gotcha.

That one certainly smells of Jon Arryn.  Selyse was the first child of the deceased 2nd son of House Florent.  Stannis, being a second son, was merely the Brandon Stark of House Baratheon.  Given the history of wars between the Reach and Stormlords, I imagine it was an easy way to build a bridge. 

I know this thread is about marrying Myrcella to Willas, but I just want address the OP saying Robert was the weakest of the commanders, bringing no alliances. Robert was a strong military leader. He had alliances with the Vale and the North through being fostered in the Vale by Jon Arryn with Ned. He may not have brought as many men as those regions, but he definitely had their support.

Archived