Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheRevanchist

Star Wars Novels/Graphical Novels 2

8 posts in this topic

Considering that the other thread is closed, and I want to talk about Thrawn book.

Found it decent read, but nowhere near as good as the original trilogy, which is my favorite sci-fi saga after Hyperion. Still, interesting to see the development of Thrawn from a nobody to Grand Admiral.

From whom him and the Chiss were feeling threatened that Thrawn needed the help of the Empire? Was Zahn hinting at something like Yuuzhan Vong? Also, were the Chiss a really important and large group in the Galaxy? Always had the impression that they were some forgotten and irrelevant aliens in the middle of nowhere, but the book gave me the impression that they might actually be a strong and large Republic/Empire-like group. Or at least something comparable with Mandalorians but independent.

On Invalid Date at 4:24 PM, TheRevanchist said:

From whom him and the Chiss were feeling threatened that Thrawn needed the help of the Empire? Was Zahn hinting at something like Yuuzhan Vong? Also, were the Chiss a really important and large group in the Galaxy? Always had the impression that they were some forgotten and irrelevant aliens in the middle of nowhere, but the book gave me the impression that they might actually be a strong and large Republic/Empire-like group. Or at least something comparable with Mandalorians but independent.

I've always gotten the impression that the importance of the Chiss is largely determined by whether the book you're holding was written by Zahn or not. They're not nearly as relevant as the Mandalorians in the grand scheme of things, they do indeed live pretty much in the middle of the Unknown Regions; maybe Disney has big plans for them, but it's likely that this is just Zahn talking up his own creations, which he did all the time in his post-Thrawn Trilogy SW books.

Ha, well, Mandolore's importance depends on what author you're reading, too. :P

Posted (edited)

Man, the Screaming Citadel one-shot was good.

Luke and Aphra vs. Vampires!

Edited by C.T. Phipps

Aftermath: Empire's End heavily implies that Palpatine doted on Thrawn because of his knowledge of the unknown reaches, was there any further information on that in the Thrawn novel?  Feel free to use spoiler tags if you want.  I haven't decided if I want to read the book or not.  (Too many things in the book queue at the moment)

Posted (edited)

On 5/10/2017 at 10:23 PM, Spaßvogel said:

Aftermath: Empire's End heavily implies that Palpatine doted on Thrawn because of his knowledge of the unknown reaches, was there any further information on that in the Thrawn novel?  Feel free to use spoiler tags if you want.  I haven't decided if I want to read the book or not.  (Too many things in the book queue at the moment)

It states that Thrawn gave Palpatine all of his information on the Unknown Regions BUT for the location of the Chiss and their culture. It's kind of a weird idea that Palpatine wouldn't demand that.

Then again, Palpatine "rewards" Thrawn by just putting him in the Imperial Academy as a Lieutenant getting a refresher course.

It's not exactly his weight in Corusca stones.

Here's my review of the book: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2017/05/star-wars-thrawn-by-timothy-zahn-review.html

Edited by C.T. Phipps

On Invalid Date at 0:46 AM, Darth Richard II said:

Ha, well, Mandolore's importance depends on what author you're reading, too. :P

In the old EU, very true, even if I'm a Traviss fan ;) But between Clone Wars and Rebels they've been treated pretty evenhandedly for the past few years.