Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Clegane'sPup

Mysterious footprints

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Studying Medieval Castles and strongholds shows that very few didn't have a "secret" way in and out.  It kept the King/Lord from being trapped by a siege.  It also allows for the occasional small force to show up behind the siege lines to spread whatever havoc they can.  I would be very surprised if GRRM wouldn't have "built" one of these into Winterfell.

BTW I'm curious about the Moat.  I don't remember reading that it was flooded, maybe I missed it.  But very few castle moats were flooded.  More properly they were known as mottes, which were generally the ditches dug to provide an earthen foundation for the castle or fortification. 

Edited by Byfort of Corfe

I doubt Bran knew about a secret entrance to the crypts. Otherwise they would have just used that to make their exit after the castle was torched rather than have Hodor nearly break his back opening the door.

It was a classic deception: leave a trail to water, then double back over your own scent. Once in the castle, your scent it all over the place, so they wouldn't track you to the crypts unless they had reason to suspect that is where you were.