Winterfell questions

6 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

7 hours ago, Prof. Cecily said:

One thing I've noticed about Winterfill is that it's the only castle  with glass gardens.

What would you say it means that the glass gardens were smashed, disrupting the water circulation in the walls, before Bran our latest blue rose stolen by some 'singers' made his getaway from Winterfell?

Did smashing the glass gardens disrupt the water circulation in the walls? 

I must reread the passages about that, @ravenous reader.

And the pertinent passages from Dune and the invasion of Arakeen.

As always, you've given me food for thought as taken an idle observation of mine and given it new dimensions.

I'd associated the breakdown of WF's water heating as related to Syrio Forel's comments to Arya:

"Just so. Now we will begin the dance. Remember, child, this is not the iron dance of Westeros we are learning, the knight's dance, hacking and hammering, no. This is the bravo's dance, the water dance, swift and sudden. All men are made of water, do you know this? When you pierce them, the water leaks out and they die." He took a step backward, raised his own wooden blade. "Now you will try to strike me."

A Game of Thrones - Arya II

However, walls can be repaired, glass replaced.

Speaking of glass, those glass gardens must have been most costly to install.

@Prof. CecilyI've been trying to pin down a vague feeling I had about the Starks and Bran and the set-up, and yes, 'Dune'.  The blue-lipped sorcerers of tHotU reminded me of the Navigators. Should we find giant wyrms in the southern deserts, I won't even blink.  

That's book I read as an adventure, and then re-read to catch all the political and economic manoeuvrings.  I enjoy devious plots more than outright warfare.

2 minutes ago, SeaWitch said:

@Prof. CecilyI've been trying to pin down a vague feeling I had about the Starks and Bran and the set-up, and yes, 'Dune'.  The blue-lipped sorcerers of tHotU reminded me of the Navigators. Should we find giant wyrms in the southern deserts, I won't even blink.  

That's book I read as an adventure, and then re-read to catch all the political and economic manoeuvrings.  I enjoy devious plots more than outright warfare.

Me, too!

I'm glad I'm not the only who finds these hat-tips to 'Dune'

I had some vague ideas about rubies, only to learn this morning that there were extensive and well thought-out essays and discussions on rubies here dating from 2014.

I daresay we'll find the same for 'Dune'.

If not here than on Reddit.

And I must catch a bus and think about water circulation in WF's walls and the frozen water of the Wall.

Archived