Your Favorite Youtube Channel on ASOIAF

Rosetta Stone

GoT academy is great, as they bring a lot of connection to real history and they are never boring by stating the bloody obvious as a lot of the other channels. 

I am surprised that Preston seems to polarise people here, as crackpottery is such a big part of this forum. :P

He is amazingly articulate in explaining even the most complex and far fetched theories - respect just for that. I really like him. 

Talk about articulate.  Give Order of the Greenhand a chance.  The more I watch their videos the more I like them.  The latest dealing with Bran will make you think and reconsider what you believe about that boy's future.

Pete Peppers is very good if your main interest is the show. 

I've been seeing the Order of the Green Hand pop up a lot and when I saw it on my sidebar, I decided to give it a go. Unfortunately, the title that caught my eye was 'Why Catelyn is the Worst Person in the World'. I disagree, but decided to hear them out. I even started the second of their 'Why Cat Sucks' series and I couldn't take anymore. I tried another of their videos and didn't like that either. I sampled several and they were much the same.

I got the feeling that they didn't actually believe what they were saying, but were just looking for views. Just my impression, but they are definitely not for me. PJ is not for me either, but I can see where he is coming from and his knowledge of previous Martin works is deep. I respect that. OotGH just seems like they want to drive views via controversial opinions and theories. Take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Secrets of the Citadel

Videos are well researched, interesting and edited well. To top it all off she has the most incredible voice for narration that adds an element of joy to her vids. I was looking to see which I'd recommend to start off with but really, pick any.

She is comparitively new to the game but generally posts a new vid daily. Currently Cliffnoting the books which I love cuz the procrastination-lazy DNA in my family runs strong in me. Wouldn't get through the books I'm ashamed to say.

Also want to give a shout-out to Smokescreen.

Video doesn't cut it. I need to read to be convinced. Quotes from the source material rather than just intuitions. If they can't write a simple (operative word), parsimonious argument to convince me, then that speaks for itself. Music, flashy graphics, and misleading screenshots from the show are just tricks.

• 2 weeks later...

History of Westeros, Radio Westeros and Elia & Linda's channel.

HoW in my view does the best job of drawing attention to themes, connections, foreshadowing, analysis and potentiality of what's been written, filmed and recorded and what's to come.  They do a fantastic job of presenting as many angles as possible while not expressly pushing their opinions.  They frame the intricacies of the story and everything within it that adds depth and framework etc. and allow you to form your own opinion, but being as aware as possible of the possibilities that yet exist for many if the mysteries yet unraveled.

It's going to be quite fun to see in retrospect who(m) is right about all their predictions... and who isn't.   I prefer the HoW approach, be like Varys & know all the angles.

I was never a fan of Rawrist but I have more respect for her now because she had the guts to at least mention Jon's poor decisions and treasons during her "Is Jon a Hero?" video.  Nobody has had the guts to even mention Snowflake's criminal deeds until Rawrist mentioned them.  But the video went downhill from when she glossed it over and moved on quickly away from that very important topic that should be discussed when the character of Jon is being discussed.  I take my hat off to the lady for acknowledging that a lot of the readers don't like Snowflake.  Nobody has had the guts to say that on their channels until Rawrist.  I became a subscriber.

On 5/11/2017 at 2:08 PM, Gertrude said:

I've been seeing the Order of the Green Hand pop up a lot and when I saw it on my sidebar, I decided to give it a go. Unfortunately, the title that caught my eye was 'Why Catelyn is the Worst Person in the World'. I disagree, but decided to hear them out. I even started the second of their 'Why Cat Sucks' series and I couldn't take anymore. I tried another of their videos and didn't like that either. I sampled several and they were much the same.

I got the feeling that they didn't actually believe what they were saying, but were just looking for views. Just my impression, but they are definitely not for me. PJ is not for me either, but I can see where he is coming from and his knowledge of previous Martin works is deep. I respect that. OotGH just seems like they want to drive views via controversial opinions and theories. Take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Everything Cat did was a complete disaster.  She may have been the worst character in the entire ASOIAF series.  

If she only went North to call the banners as Ned had instructed and not kidnapped Tyrion things would've went a lot differently. 

I prefer the channels geared towards the actual novels rather than the tv show.  I'm one who believe the novels and the show will come to different endings.  I'm afraid to even think about the direction that the show will conclude on.  I like Preston J, Ideas of Ice and Fire, Smokescreen, Enchantment of Eternity, and Order of the Green Hand for the time being until someone actually forgets about the show and just discuss the books.  Preston, Chris, Enchantment of Eternity, and Order of the Green Hand bring needed maturity to the discussion and that is like a breath of fresh air because Youtube is full of the tech savvy but immature population. 

1 hour ago, Ahl of the House Cutler said:

Everything Cat did was a complete disaster.  She may have been the worst character in the entire ASOIAF series.  

If she only went North to call the banners as Ned had instructed and not kidnapped Tyrion things would've went a lot differently. 

I get that people disagree on this and it's polarizing. What I especially disliked about this series of video was that they went out of their way to find malicious motives in every single word she uttered and every action she took. Like I said, I didn't think it was honest and it seemed to me they were just looking for views instead of discussing ideas.

Archived