Dullest characters

So for you guys who is the most unilateral, uninteresting and at some points boring characters in the whole series? The person doesn't need have been always dull but could have became dull overtime. For me it's Cersei. Her unwillingness to change and behave like a freaking human being with feelings made the AFFC even more unbearble to read. Her character became this unilateral and boring character who refused to grow as a person. With the same old excuse "I'm doing for my children" jesus christ, just remembering that make me feel sick. So, what about you guys? Who makes your reading more unpleasant?

40 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

So for you guys who is the most unilateral, uninteresting and at some points boring characters in the whole series? The person doesn't need have been always dull but could have became dull overtime. For me it's Cersei. Her unwillingness to change and behave like a freaking human being with feelings made the AFFC even more unbearble to read. Her character became this unilateral and boring character who refused to grow as a person. With the same old excuse "I'm doing for my children" jesus christ, just remembering that make me feel sick. So, what about you guys? Who makes your reading more unpleasant?

I'm the opposite, I love Cersei's chapters, but I get why she'd be uninteresting to others. I don't read her as evil, but I also don't read her as very intelligent or capable either. For some reason her extreme prejudices/dislikes towards people (i.e., Tyrells, Sansa, Tyrion, Bronn, etc.) on top of her less-than-cunning gambits are basically the comic relief of the books for me. Her plan to kill Bronn backfiring makes me laugh to tears everytime! Not to mention how her motivations (the "I'm doing this for my children") and her actions often are contradictory to one another, and she doesn't even realize it. But I get it, she's definitely not for everyone.

But, to answer the topic... I'll say that, in my case, it's not so much that the character themselves are dull but rather the arc they are in. I'm currently rereading the series and I'm going carefully and slowly, making notes along the way. I'm almost done with ACoK, so I'll speak about my opinion up to this point.

1. I honestly find Bran's chapters to be the dullest. And I don't really recall them getting any better from here on out. I look forward to the chapter where the Reed's relay the story about the Tourney at Harrenhal, but, other than that, just not a whole lot happens. The warging is cool, but not really all that interesting to me. I really like Bran's character, but it usually feels like more interesting things are happening in other places of the world that I'd rather be focusing on.
  2. I suspected I would want to skim Daenerys' chapters as not a whole lot of interesting things happen in Qarth either (foreshadowing boring Slaver's Bay), BUT, I've been enjoying them. I think as far as worldbuilding goes, Qarthian culture is by far the most conceivable of his eastern inventions... Which is kind of funny to say because they have a lot of over-the-top fantasy qualities. I've done a lot of cross-cultural psych studies and for some reason Qarth adds up to me. I don't buy the Ghiscari culture in ADwD so I'm soaking up Qarth while I can.
  3. Sansa... Sansa, Sansa, Sansa. I like Sansa as a character quite a bit (I know many, many people don't). I don't dislike her chapters in the first two books, but this time around I find myself wishing I could see some of the other events from her eyes than the ones we're given. For example, right before the peasant riot begins, Joffrey is about to cut down the woman holding up her dead baby. Sansa whispers something to him and he instead is placated into tossing her a silver stag. What on earth could she have said to him to make him listen?

37 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

Jon Snow is the dullest and most uninteresting character to me.  What I did to him was a mercy killing.

11 minutes ago, cgrav said:

Well Dustin Hoffman's character in "Rain Man" didn't do a bit of development, either, and he got an Oscar for it.

You play someone with a mental illness*, you get an Oscar. 

* While the Academy is partial to mental illnesses, they'll also settle for other fashionable diseases such as AIDS or ALS. And I guess cancer's always a favorite, though I'm told it's less so now than in previous years as it's seen as more of a Lifetime thing and therefore a less prestigious disease compared to, say, Alzheimer's. 

FAegon.  Bloody boring.

I can't believe so many of you think he has an important part to play.

He is the symptom of GRRM's boredom with writing the conclusion of this saga.

Despite his purple eyes, he is completely inconsequential.

Arianne and her bad pussay posse. (No really, I know we haven't heard of the HBO show in this forum, but they get way to much hate for messing up Dorne. Unfortunately they got the essence of these dumb characters right) I hear there are two Arianne WoW chapters out, which might include all kinds of interesting information (I care about the Griffs!) but I just cannot make myself read them. Why does it have to be two? Gods, the torture. I should get over this at some point.

I'm never happy to see Dany's name on top of a chapter. Some chapters might be a nice surprise, but I guess she is the dullest of the main characters to me. I don't care about Jorah either, definitely not about his romantic feelings. The only interesting thing about him is that he is a Mormont.

5 minutes ago, ftheking said:

I'm never happy to see Dany's name on top of a chapter. Some chapters might be a nice surprise, but I guess she is the dullest of the main characters to me. I don't care about Jorah either, definitely not about his romantic feelings. The only interesting thing about him is that he is a Mormont.

:rofl:

Renowned Dany hater it is known confirmed.

I have this weird supposition that Dany represents some woman who rejected poor GRRM leaving him irretrievably wounded -- that's why so many of us are picking up on the malignant projection -- but he just can't bring himself to exorcise the ex-girlfriend...

Come on GRRM -- You can do it!  Just -- Do -- It.

14 minutes ago, ftheking said:

Arianne and her bad pussay posse. (No really, I know we haven't heard of the HBO show in this forum, but they get way to much hate for messing up Dorne. Unfortunately they got the essence of these dumb characters right) I hear there are two Arianne WoW chapters out, which might include all kinds of interesting information (I care about the Griffs!) but I just cannot make myself read them. Why does it have to be two? Gods, the torture. I should get over this at some point.

What has always seemed weird to me is how Daenerys even has chapters. For all the major players for the throne we have someone else peering on from the side at them.

• Stannis has Davos, Jon, and Mel
  • Robb & Renly had Catelyn
  • Joffrey had Tyrion and Sansa
  • Mance had Jon
  • Young Griff/Aegon has Connington and Tyrion

I have no doubt others have pointed this out. As far as patterns go, it would almost seem like Jorah would be the POV, but I guess, in the end, Daenerys has the more interesting perspective overall. At least Selmy and Quentyn come along and give us a break.

3 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

:rofl:

Renowned Dany hater it is known confirmed.

I have this weird supposition that Dany represents some woman who rejected poor GRRM leaving him irretrievably wounded -- that's why so many of us are picking up on the malignant projection -- but he just can't bring himself to exorcise the ex-girlfriend...

Come on GRRM -- You can do it!  Just -- Do -- It.

Oh wow, lol. I wouldn't go that far, but I think what bothers me the most is how she always gives me the vibe of either male fanservice or author's pet (or a mary sue by a certain definition). Fanservicey because I'm always having to read about her boobs (i.e., baring one in a dress, sweat dripping down them), lesbian sex with Irri, or a scene where she decides to walk around naked for whatever reason. Author's pet because she's the beautiful, exotic dragon princess/queen (i.e., a Tolkien elf) that always seems to win and survives everything because of her ridiculous plot armor.

18 minutes ago, ftheking said:

They really don't. Those two chapters are legit terrible and killed a big chunk of my hype for Winds. 

5 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

They really don't. Those two chapters are legit terrible and killed a big chunk of my hype for Winds. 

Yeah, no mention of Arianne's magic nipples. I mean, wth?

I find it hard to judge the chapters he releases because we don't know what happens in other peoples chapters before and after it. I've been noticing in my reread that he's pretty masterful in manipulating the tension with how he orders them. Arianne's chapters are mostly just traveling and her thoughts, which could be a nice break from battle/action scenes. She's the new Bran, basically. :P

26 minutes ago, Traverys said:

Oh wow, lol. I wouldn't go that far, but I think what bothers me the most is how she always gives me the vibe of either male fanservice or author's pet (or a mary sue by a certain definition). Fanservicey because I'm always having to read about her boobs (i.e., baring one in a dress, sweat dripping down them), lesbian sex with Irri, or a scene where she decides to walk around naked for whatever reason. Author's pet because she's the beautiful, exotic dragon princess/queen (i.e., a Tolkien elf) that always seems to win and survives everything because of her ridiculous plot armor.

Ha ha, yes.  Don't doubt yourself.  Disabuse yourself of these projections foisted upon you by the author.  We are not the haters.  I am confident in time that he shall exorcise his tedious sexy tormentor.  When the backlash finally comes, it shall not be pretty.

5 hours ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

I think it is interesting with a story of diverse characters and reading about how they think good or bad. I wouldn't want 50 Ned Starks in the story.

Daenerys' chapters can be rather dull. She is so far away from everything that's going on in Westeros and it annoys me to read multiple chapters with different characters experiencing the same war, but in different ways because of circumstances, and then to all of a sudden go to a completely different character with a completely different pot and problems.

The Dorne chapters are also dull. Not nearly as dull as the show, but still rather dull.

I am going to agree with those who say Daenerys and the Dorne chapters, especially Hotah.

I'm no Dany hater and I don't dislike all her chapters -- just the Slaver's Bay ones. I'm dying to see what happens in her saga, overall. While I get that the purpose of that huge stopover in Mereen was to show that she was learning how to rule instead of just conquer because dragons and to give those dragons time to get really big and fearsome. I also understand that the stopover was the result of IRL, GRRM's having to work out the Mereenese knot. IMO, the chapters drag a bit, after the first time reading the books, I find myself doing a fast skim of those chapters more often than not.

As for Dorne, I'm guessing that Hotah is actually going to do something important eventually. It's just that the extreme time gap in the books makes him a big WTF kind of a POV character at the moment.

Archived