Dullest characters

12 hours ago, khal drogon said:

I agree on the Dunk tales. It's nothing like ASOIAF to read. So I stopped reading after few pages. Maybe I have to give it another try. Maybe it gets better. 

DE1 is ok and maintains that tone throughout.  DE2 doesn't get interesting until the last half.  DE3 is really good. 

Dunk is dull intellectually but I wouldn't call him boring. 

59 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

I cannot understand, Jesus, how anyone can enjoy reading Sansa.  There is something for everyone.  I guess.

Because the part of the story I enjoy the most is the Stark/Lannister interaction. She is, in my mind, the most important Stark, as far as that backdrop goes. Bran and Jon will end up being responsible for more stuff than her, but not as it pertains to those two houses. She is the lynchpin in that story line, imho, and so I want to watch her get the short straws, so that when she finally draws the long straw, it will be so incredibly rewarding. I'll be heartbroken if she dies an inglorious death.

3 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

DE1 is ok and maintains that tone throughout.  DE2 doesn't get interesting until the last half.  DE3 is really good. 

I loved DE :( . I actually made a RPG character based on DE. A brute and a wise youngester as companion.

On 5/10/2017 at 3:17 PM, khal drogon said:

Jon Snow has to be the correct answer. Dullest in the series. Only interesting because what his parentage would mean.

The consensus seems to be this.  Jon is the dullest  of the point of view characters.  I never liked Jon and his chapters were hard to enjoy.  You might find my article on pivotal characters interesting.

If my theory comes true we won't have to complain about reading any more Jon chapters.  Bowen is right,  he killed Jon out of mercy.  To us. 

22 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Thanks. I have read only good things about D&E and I like Targs. So will give another try. Whatever I have read about Dunk he seems a likable guy. 

11 hours ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

The consensus seems to be this.  Jon is the dullest  of the point of view characters.  I never liked Jon and his chapters were hard to enjoy.  You might find my article on pivotal characters interesting.

If my theory comes true we won't have to complain about reading any more Jon chapters.  Bowen is right,  he killed Jon out of mercy.  To us. 

So far Jon has failed to impress me. But if he stays away from the trajectory of becoming ASOIAF's Aragorn I may actually like him. His fandom doesn't make me any dearer to him. Hopefully there is a twist in the story. Martin has always said he liked writing grey characters and death changes people. Would like to see what shade of grey he is

#1 on the list for me would be Dany.  Maybe she gets the short end by being placed in a setting I couldn't care less about with a mostly forgettable cast of characters, but the truth is, I just don't find Dany herself interesting or likeable,  either.

A close second would be virtually everything about the Martells and Greyjoys, excluding Theon.  By the time they become important in the story,  I find that I just don't care.   

Brienne

Samwell

Quentyn

Catelyn is also not that interesting to me. I never fully understood why she inspires so much debate. Her chapters range from decent to good. But she is a dull character imo and I hate being inside her mind.

13 hours ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

LOL that's some heavily biased reading. About 10 times more people name Dany.

Dany overcomes abuse from brother. Dany is sold into marriage with a barbarian and turns the tables. Dany eats a horses heart. Dany saves women from rape. Dany is a target for assassination.

Dany walks into a fire and hatches dragon eggs and then suckles them. Dany is the head of a people wandering in the wilderness. Dany braves nasty wizards, and escapes. Dany liberates slaves. Dany tricks her way into different cities.

Dany has devoted followers and enemies. Dany nearly quotes Elizabeth l. Dany experiences exotic cultures has a hot, warrior boyfriend, but gives him up to attempt a peace. Dany decides to lock up her dangerous pets. Dany runs towards her renegade flaming dragon pet with a whip to save people, and flys it. 

Dany doesn't have a penis, therefore Dany is dull.

On 5/9/2017 at 0:04 PM, Ser Loras The Gay said:

The dullness of these characters don't come from theirs acompplishments but rather from theirs personallities and actions. They change the story a whole lot and have cool ass stories behind them, but that doesn't mean they can be just boring as human beings. And Jon is never described as one of the best swordmen he's not even in the top 100.

I think he is thinking of the show when ramsey says some say jon snow is the best swordsman in the north. In the books he is good but far from the best. I disagree and think he is one of the best and most entretaining characters but it's one of those things that two people can have completly different opionions and neither is wrong.

3 hours ago, snow is the man said:

and a lot more then that think of other characters like sansa.

Sansa and Jon are the dullest to me.  And that goes even if you change the meaning of dull to dimwitted.  Dimwit or boring, my answer is still the same.  Sansa and Jon. 

21 hours ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

I hope your theory is proven and we get no more of Jon from this point forward.  What an awesome books 6 and 7 we will have.  Make somebody else provide the POV of the north.  I vote for Tormund.  I do not care for him but he will be better than Jon.  Give the POV of the Vale to Sweet Robin instead of Sansa.

On 5/10/2017 at 0:11 AM, Ser Loras The Gay said:

But she sure is taking freaking long to do it.

One would say its making sense since she has to start and gain everything from scratch and not handed to her 

On 5/10/2017 at 0:21 AM, Ser Loras The Gay said:

Exactly, if we assume that the important part of the plot is Westeros she haven't done much to changes how things work there. Aegon (wheter he is fake or not) have done more in one book that she in 5 books.

What have YG done in one book that dany didn't do in 5 books ..

Its a pretty stupid thing to Do.to compare these two when YG didn't even do anything other than following Varys illyrio and joncon plans .

The story as GRRM said about the coming of age of 5 or 6 characters and dany is one of them ..

Please do list the things how  YG have done that is impacted westeros..

As far as boring character goes Sam , sansa, areo ,davos

3 hours ago, Drogonthedread said:

One would say its making sense since she has to start and gain everything from scratch and not handed to her 

What have YG done in one book that dany didn't do in 5 books ..

Its a pretty stupid thing to Do.to compare these two when YG didn't even do anything other than following Varys illyrio and joncon plans .

The story as GRRM said about the coming of age of 5 or 6 characters and dany is one of them ..

Please do list the things how  YG have done that is impacted westeros..

As far as boring character goes Sam , sansa, areo ,davos

I say Dany's actions and what happens in her plot have direct and indirect effect on Westeros.  What she does affects what's happening there more than what Arya, Cersei, Jaime, Brienne, Davos, Lady Stoneheart, and Sansa does.  Much more than what Robb has because he's just a tiny footnote in recent history whose damage will soon be forgotten.  The citadel, Varys, Illyrio, and Dorne are all planning their moves based on what they anticipate Dany doing.  She can affect the game of thrones in King's Landing from half the world away and influence the actions of even the ironheads on the other side of Westeros.  

7 hours ago, Drogonthedread said:

Meereen was not necessary to her. By any means. She simply needed boats and meereen was not the first place to look for it. She already had the mercenaries and the Insulied. She could have simply taken some boats and sailed to Westeros.

Archived