Dullest characters

7 hours ago, Drogonthedread said:

Dany's chapters from AGOT was released as separate novella titled " Blood of the Dragon " and it recieved Hugo award in 1997..

Her story alone can sell the books.  I can't say that for any other character.  

I actually loved her eastern story arc because it took me away from the dreary doldrums of the North and the aimless travels of Arya in the Riverlands.

Her eastern story arc was always meant to be significant.  The Dothraki are even more important to the story than the Wildlings.  I am sure the liberated former slaves will also have an important role to play.  

1 hour ago, Lifestream said:

Sometimes I found Jon's chapters at the Wall dull to read. I also found Sam boring when he acquired a POV, but it got way better when he left the Wall.

The only Jon chapter that I found even remotely interesting was his last when he got killed for treason.  Sam is quite the dull boy but he has some interesting interactions in Oldtown.

Dullest characters:

1. Jon
  2. Sansa
  3. Davos

1 hour ago, Targaryen Restoration said:

The only Jon chapter that I found even remotely interesting was his last when he got killed for treason.  Sam is quite the dull boy but he has some interesting interactions in Oldtown.

Dullest characters:

1. Jon
  2. Sansa
  3. Davos

While I won't agree with Sansa (except maybe that her chaptors got duller in AFFC in comparison to her previous ones), I mostly agree with you.

I liked Jon in AGOT, especially when he was a bit bratty and entitled after he went to the Wall, but he quickly shed those traits. Then in ACOK and ASOS, I preferred to read chapters of other characters'. And in ADWD he became easier to read (I thinks thanks to a lot of characters he gets to interact especially Melisandre). To me his stabbing was a natural progression for things. I think ever since he came back to the Wall after being away with the wildlings i was expecting people to turn on him.

Sam was so boring to read in ASOS. Like you though I found him getting more interesting especially as he reached Oldtown. He has a lot of potential and I think Aemon wanted him to meet up with Danny? Would be cool if at some point he goes on a journey to try and inform her or ask for her help.

On 5/9/2017 at 2:54 PM, Traverys said:

Exactly. She's let herself get distracted almost entirely from her purpose. For an entire book she makes no solid plans or advancements towards her conquest of Westeros. Her purpose since the end of book one (at the very latest) was to make her bid for the Iron Thron. Circumstances had prevented her in most instances...

1. She had to cross the Red Waste to survive? Understandable.
  2. She found refuge in Qarth and spent her time recouping and petitioning for aid/arms/gold? Smart move. Ambitious.
  3. She gives up on Qarth (for good reason) and is convinced by Jorah to at least window shop the unsullied on the way to Pentos? Not a bad idea, let's check em out. Clever Jorah!
  4. She gets  her unsullied army and... does not sail to Westeros? ...Wait, what?
  5. She conquers the three cities of Slaver's Bay one by one to liberate slaves? Mmmmk...
  6. She conquers Meereen and installs herself as queen? ...huh?
  7. She marries a noble from Meereen? What's happening here...
  8. She... /SkipsChapter.

Lmfao this is a great summary

9 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Lmfao this is a great summary

I was pretty proud of it at the time. :D

On 5/16/2017 at 1:16 PM, Widowmaker 811 said:

That would be because her chapters don't intersect with other POV characters until ADwD. Her story is self-contained. They could be their own little novella on the side. I would say Eddard's story sold the first book. A neo-noir detective story where the mystery is solved by the detective dies before justice can be served.

I discussed in another thread that a spin-off series of (satirical) novellas about the (mis)adventures of Baelor the Blessed would probably sell. Imagine a deadpan snarker (Stannis-esque) as his Hand and it basically sells itself.  :lmao:

I find pretty much all Free Folk dull except for Tormund. Har! I've just read a huge chunk of A Storm of Swords and I've had to put up with the flood of "you know nothin', Jon Snow" and "I'm a free woman." As Tywin might say: a woman that has to say she's free is not true free woman. Har!

7 hours ago, Traverys said:

I was pretty proud of it at the time. :D

That would be because her chapters don't intersect with other POV characters until ADwD. Her story is self-contained. They could be their own little novella on the side. I would say Eddard's story sold the first book. A neo-noir detective story where the mystery is solved by the detective dies before justice can be served.

I discussed in another thread that a spin-off series of (satirical) novellas about the (mis)adventures of Baelor the Blessed would probably sell. Imagine a deadpan snarker (Stannis-esque) as his Hand and it basically sells itself.  :lmao:

I find pretty much all Free Folk dull except for Tormund. Har! I've just read a huge chunk of A Storm of Swords and I've had to put up with the flood of "you know nothin', Jon Snow" and "I'm a free woman." As Tywin might say: a woman that has to say she's free is not true free woman. Har!

Its because Dany as a character and her story arc is interesting enough to read on their own.  No other character in the books is that interesting nor does anyone have a complete arc on their own.  

You wouldn't be able to give Jon's chapters away.  People with perfectly good vision would rather read War and Peace in braille than read an isolated Jon, Sansa, and Bran chapter.  

2 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Its because Dany as a character and her story arc is interesting enough to read on their own.  No other character in the books is that interesting nor does anyone have a complete arc on their own.  

You wouldn't be able to give Jon's chapters away.  People with perfectly good vision would rather read War and Peace in braille than read an isolated Jon, Sansa, and Bran chapter.  

Is interesting enough to you*

It's dangerous territory to presume to speak for everyone. Daenerys is a divisive character, to put it mildly. You can see evidence of that throughout this thread.

I personally couldn't read a book focused on her without rolling my eyes so much they fall out. All the "male gaze" already embedded in her chapters is beyond gratuitous. 

I found Stannis and Davos boring. Sometimes early on I felt bored reading Catelyn's chapters. I just wanted her to hurry up and go home to her kids and not make endless trips and rash decisions. Not sure what she meant to do for arresting Tyrion at the inn then dragged him (not literally) all the way to her sister's place in the mountains. Then she hung around her son and went off a few more times. Her youngest kids Bran and Rickon were still at Winterfell and her two daughters were in vulnerable positions. Not once did Catelyn think of them or go back there to get her daughters. All Catelyn thought about was herself.

On 5/10/2017 at 3:27 PM, khal drogon said:

Those are generally Jon Snow fans who are afraid Dany would steal his limelight. Generally they say they find Dany boring or dull but it seems they are so obsessed with her that they can't stop talking about her. It's quite ironic.

Dany seems to bring passion in both likes and dislikes, creates more debates and the opposite of dull. When you have more threads dedicated to debate her actions as opposed to a character where most of the threads dedicated to him are about how his parentage would make him X it really says.

My favorite character is jon snow but I still love dany. Personally I don't see how this is true. One is at the wall and the other is across the sea on another contitent.

1 hour ago, snow is the man said:

My favorite character is jon snow but I still love dany. Personally I don't see how this is true. One is at the wall and the other is across the sea on another contitent.

You cannot see it because it isn't true. It is just some people being obsessed with other people's opinions.

On 5/16/2017 at 2:16 PM, Widowmaker 811 said:

I want to buy Blood of the Dragon and Path of the Dragon even if I have to buy a hard back that had stories from other authors that I do not particularly care for.  I do not feel the same about any other character.  Daenerys Targaryen is a popular fictional character.

2 hours ago, snow is the man said:

Follow some comments on this forum you would get what I am talking about. Yet I am not generalising any fandom. Good for you if you love both.

On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 11:27 PM, Traverys said:

Is interesting enough to you*

It's dangerous territory to presume to speak for everyone. Daenerys is a divisive character, to put it mildly. You can see evidence of that throughout this thread.

I personally couldn't read a book focused on her without rolling my eyes so much they fall out. All the "male gaze" already embedded in her chapters is beyond gratuitous. 

Fo

Archived