Dullest characters

On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 11:27 PM, Traverys said:

Is interesting enough to you*

It's dangerous territory to presume to speak for everyone. Daenerys is a divisive character, to put it mildly. You can see evidence of that throughout this thread.

I personally couldn't read a book focused on her without rolling my eyes so much they fall out. All the "male gaze" already embedded in her chapters is beyond gratuitous. 

For a character you said you find dull you seem to spend an awful lot of time talking about her. Half of the posts in this thread will be yours about her. We get it you hate her. No point in trying to convince others of your opinions as you said she is a pretty divisive character. No one's going to change their opinions because you hate her. No one wants your condescension for not sharing the same taste as you. 

2 hours ago, khal drogon said:

For a character you said you find dull you seem to spend an awful lot of time talking about her. Half of the posts in this thread will be yours about her. We get it you hate her. No point in trying to convince others of your opinions as you said she is a pretty divisive character. No one's going to change their opinions because you hate her. No one wants your condescension for not sharing the same taste as you. 

You caught me. She's secretly my favorite character.

In all seriousness, I've dedicated plenty of other posts in this thread discussing other characters, both positive and negative. I guess those were not of interest to you. In the end, no one requires you to read or respond to any of them. Instead of criticizing me as a person you could spend the same amount of energy criticizing my arguments or simply just ignoring them. Opinions are exchanged in an opinion thread, whether they are to your taste or not.

For me, the dullest chapters tend to be those of the characters who are in Essos. The Wall is also a little boring.

The dullest character is probably Areo Hotah, but I like both his chapters.

So I suppose that for me, the dullness of a character depends on his or her situation. IMO Arya becomes rather boring once she goes to Braavos, Dany's chapters are most interesting when Barristan is talking to her about Westeros etc. 

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 7:47 AM, Traverys said:

You caught me. She's secretly my favorite char.acter.

In all seriousness, I've dedicated plenty of other posts in this thread discussing other characters, both positive and negative. I guess those were not of interest to you. In the end, no one requires you to read or respond to any of them. Instead of criticizing me as a person you could spend the same amount of energy criticizing my arguments or simply just ignoring them. Opinions are exchanged in an opinion thread, whether they are to your taste or not..

I would better ignore. All those arguments are already repeated a million times and boring to read now. I would rather discuss with someone who is interested in her character. Would be more meaningful.

On 16.5.2017 at 1:41 PM, Ser Loras The Gay said:

This sentence resumes everything I feel about Arya. She's just a little girl angry about everyone trying to kill everyone who caused her pain. How good a character like this can be?

Wait, are you asking how interesting the emotion anger, the experience of pain and the motivation vengeance is? More so, are you implying they are dull? Because really interesting charaters are feeling indifferent, vagually comfortable and passionate about ... cooking? I am seriously confused right now.

1 hour ago, ftheking said:

Wait, are you asking how interesting the emotion anger, the experience of pain and the motivation vengeance is? More so, are you implying they are dull? Because really interesting charaters are feeling indifferent, vagually comfortable and passionate about ... cooking? I am seriously confused right now.

unilateral characters are dull. That's how I feel. That's why I hate cersei and pre-nedstarkdeath Sansa. Or even Joffrey. And that's why I hate Arya as a chracter because she is driven only by her vengeance.

1 hour ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

unilateral characters are dull. That's how I feel. That's why I hate cersei and pre-nedstarkdeath Sansa. Or even Joffrey. And that's why I hate Arya as a chracter because she is driven only by her vengeance.

But she's not. She wants to find a pack and/or her pack, is really attatched to several different people who she wants to protect and just be with... Jon, all her family, Gendry, Hot Pie, even Jaquen etc. at this point, plus obviously her actual wolf. She wants to protect the innocent. She always wanted to learn and find adventure. The vengeance is simply the most interesting aspect of her, far from the only one.

You could pick out one aspect from anyone and call them uniliteral and often it would make more sense than with Arya. Tyrion just wants respect, lame. Jon just wants to save humankind, yawn. Dany of course wants to ruuuule. Brienne just wants to be the perfect knight and so on and so forth. Arya really wants vengeance and she's been a great character even before she had any desire or even reason for it.

Dany is actually one of the most complex characters in the entire story.  Yes she wants to rule but she also yearn for the simple life that she had in Braavos with Ser Willem Darry.  She "adopted" the slaves, fought to free them, and accepted the role of Mhysa.  She is the Mother of Dragons who fulfilled the Azor Ahai prophecy as well as a Khaleesi.  She speaks many languages fluently and well-traveled.  She is a woman with sexual desires but also a sense of her responsibility and her duties.  People who know what a good story is chose to give George an award for Dany's story.  So at the end of the day, yeah, her chapters can be looked upon as the best parts of A Song of Ice and Fire. 

Arya is pretty much a one-sided character up to now but that could change.  Jorah is another complex character.  He is right up there with Jaime.

Arya is a pretty interesting case for me. I think she is a great character but her storyline is meh. Till ASOS her story is just wandering around and "will ever she meet her family" is the only thing that kept her interesting. After Braavos I completely lost interest in her. I don't care for her story because I find Faceless men ridiculous. Now I don't even care for her.

Sansa is pretty much opposite she went from meh to mildly interesting because of the events that are happening in the Vale but not very much.

I find it strange that the Starks supposedly the protagonists of the story yet I find them really boring. The interesting Starks Ned and Cat are dead and Bran is underrated.

Varys is boring, sorry to say. He's had a rough childhood and yet he just seems to be a witness and has little to offer. I don't know if he'll ever progress and become a healer (imho he should give the traumatised Theon some therapy and advice on how to move on after getting mutilated).

I didn't like Stannis or his wife at all. 

11 hours ago, khal drogon said:

Arya is a pretty interesting case for me. I think she is a great character but her storyline is meh. Till ASOS her story is just wandering around and "will ever she meet her family" is the only thing that kept her interesting. After Braavos I completely lost interest in her. I don't care for her story because I find Faceless men ridiculous. Now I don't even care for her.

Sansa is pretty much opposite she went from meh to mildly interesting because of the events that are happening in the Vale but not very much.

I find it strange that the Starks supposedly the protagonists of the story yet I find them really boring. The interesting Starks Ned and Cat are dead and Bran is underrated.

They are not, as a whole, the protagonists of the story.  There are some good Starks and some bad Starks.  Just like any other family.  But yeah, they're a very boring family and I do not like Jon, Arya, Sansa, Bran, and Robb. 

• 2 weeks later...

Like many of you, Daenerys' chapters are excruciating for me, and I find Jon boring, even if he is likable. I don't dislike Arya, but I find her chapters extremely depressing and dreary. They also meander quite a bit, even in AGOT.

Dorne held some interest for me the first time I read the books, but I might end up skipping those chapters on a re-read. A lot of things about Dorne don't make much sense to me. For instance, how are they apparently these impenetrable badasses--immune to dragons, war, and disease--when they're so sparsely populated and politically divided? The North and Iron Islands have a lot working against them, but they also have this palpable sense of loyalty and lack of in-fighting, at least for most of their history (there's a lot of talk about Ironborn killing each other, but there's really no indication of rival houses trying to overthrow the Greyjoys. Even in AFFC, the rival kingsmoot claimants submitted to Euron after he was declared their king). With the exception of Ellaria, the Dornish women we meet are all strangely petty and immature for full-grown women, especially when compared to other noblewomen throughout the realm Not even just Asha (who, being the same age as Arianne, is on some level a foil for her, and vice versa, at least for the reader's sake) but also young girls such as Sansa and Margaery. A lot is made out of their empowerment compared to other women in Westeros, but there's a strange naivety as well. Maybe that was intentional, to show how the impervious Dornish really ain't all that impressive, but I found it annoying to read about. GRRM's a great writer, but I don't think Dorne was his strong suit.  

Characters largely composed of cliches. Sandsnakes take the cake. Found Brans chapters boring to the extent they focused on third eyes, dream messengers, other recycled mythic glop.

Joffrey seems dull, in an intellectually-lacking sort of way. His thought process often seems to go as this simplistic "I want to do X, so I'm going to do X" for instance, and that's it, with little to no thought about how his actions could impact his Kingly career, whether it's right or wrong, or musing as to his own motivations and what they could say about him, etc. I not referring to social apathy as much as him striking me as lacking general intellectual depth.

Archived