Dullest characters

1 minute ago, David Selig said:

Maybe for you that's the case, but that's hardly universal. Personally I couldn't care less if a character positively advance the plot or affects changes within the world, that's not how I judge them.

It's not the main plot line so far. The main plot is the battle for the Iron Throne and both of them has had almost nothing to do with it. But more importantly, being involved in the main plotline doesn't make a character interesting by itself. Libraries are chokc full of deadly boring main characters who advance the plot of their books.

I'm sorry did you just say that Dany has nothing to do with battling for the Iron Throne?  Her entire purpose behind her campaign is reclaiming the Iron Throne from those she views as usurpers.

4 minutes ago, spauldo17 said:

I'm sorry did you just say that Dany has nothing to do with battling for the Iron Throne?  Her entire purpose behind her campaign is reclaiming the Iron Throne from those she views as usurpers.

But she sure is taking freaking long to do it.

8 minutes ago, spauldo17 said:

I said "almost nothing" and "so far" , which is obviously true. We are 5 books in of a 7 books series and she has barely affected the main plot.

2 minutes ago, David Selig said:

I said "almost nothing" and "so far" , which is obviously true. We are 5 books in of a 7 books series and she has barely affected the main plot.

Exactly, if we assume that the important part of the plot is Westeros she haven't done much to changes how things work there. Aegon (wheter he is fake or not) have done more in one book that she in 5 books.

22 minutes ago, spauldo17 said:

Exactly. She's let herself get distracted almost entirely from her purpose. For an entire book she makes no solid plans or advancements towards her conquest of Westeros. Her purpose since the end of book one (at the very latest) was to make her bid for the Iron Thron. Circumstances had prevented her in most instances...

1. She had to cross the Red Waste to survive? Understandable.
  2. She found refuge in Qarth and spent her time recouping and petitioning for aid/arms/gold? Smart move. Ambitious.
  3. She gives up on Qarth (for good reason) and is convinced by Jorah to at least window shop the unsullied on the way to Pentos? Not a bad idea, let's check em out. Clever Jorah!
  4. She gets  her unsullied army and... does not sail to Westeros? ...Wait, what?
  5. She conquers the three cities of Slaver's Bay one by one to liberate slaves? Mmmmk...
  6. She conquers Meereen and installs herself as queen? ...huh?
  7. She marries a noble from Meereen? What's happening here...
  8. She... /SkipsChapter.

15 hours ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

So for you guys who is the most unilateral, uninteresting and at some points boring characters in the whole series? The person doesn't need have been always dull but could have became dull overtime. For me it's Cersei. Her unwillingness to change and behave like a freaking human being with feelings made the AFFC even more unbearble to read. Her character became this unilateral and boring character who refused to grow as a person. With the same old excuse "I'm doing for my children" jesus christ, just remembering that make me feel sick. So, what about you guys? Who makes your reading more unpleasant?

The Starks are dull as a family.  Even their colors are dull.  Jon and Sansa are the dullest.  Arya has some color to her after the river land chapters and that made the only Stark that isn't overly dull.  Catelyn has some excitement to her but she's a Tully.  Dullest is a tough choice between Sansa and Jon.   I'm picking Jon as the dullest of the dull.

9 minutes ago, Traverys said:

Exactly. She's let herself get distracted almost entirely from her purpose. For an entire book she makes no solid plans or advancements towards her conquest of Westeros. Her purpose since the end of book one (at the very latest) was to make her bid for the Iron Thron. Circumstances had prevented her in most instances...

1. She had to cross the Red Waste to survive? Understandable.
  2. She found refuge in Qarth and spent her time recouping and petitioning for aid/arms/gold? Smart move. Ambitious.
  3. She gives up on Qarth (for good reason) and is convinced by Jorah to at least window shop the unsullied on the way to Pentos? Not a bad idea, let's check em out. Clever Jorah!
  4. She gets  her unsullied army and... does not sail to Westeros? ...Wait, what?
  5. She conquers the three cities of Slaver's Bay one by one to liberate slaves? Mmmmk...
  6. She conquers Meereen and installs herself as queen? ...huh?
  7. She marries a noble from Meereen? What's happening here...
  8. She... /SkipsChapter.

Well played man hahahaha. I find Aegon more likeble than her at this point. He at least is in Westeros conquering stuff that matters, she is trapped somewhere near meereen about to get her ass raped by a bunch of dootraki.

41 minutes ago, HaeSuse said:

But what do you expect from a pre-teen --> teen girl in her situation.

Well, I keep comparing Sansa with what Arya is doing. A mere child of 8-10...

38 minutes ago, winter daughter said:

She saved Dantos.

Not really. If the Hound hadn't stepped in and confirmed Sansa's off the cuff excuse, she'd have backtracked same as she did with her father, brother and whole family (they're traitors! they're all traitors!!) and given up Dontos to Joff's tender mercies. The Hound's remark stopped Joffers in his tracks and gave Sansa an opening to make other suggestions - and she never noticed. She just assumed that she had lucked onto some well-known adage, rather than recognizing that the man had lied to save her skin. Sandor never gets any credit.

The most interesting parts of Sansa's chapters are her interactions with Sandor Clegane. Otherwise, as has been noted, it's all "poor little me!" and "I love Joffrey! Just L O O O O O V E  him! and all my family are traitors - TRAITORS!" That, and being bathed, combed, styled, dressed, and fed by hordes of servants. And snobbery towards the "lower classes."

12 minutes ago, Sea Dragon said:

Daenerys is the story. Everyone compared to her is dull.

what? And why is she not in the center of the story for about 5 books????????? Even if she has dragons and they are the key to kill the others, SHE STILL NEEDS TO GO TO WESTEROS GOD DAMNIT

3 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

what? And why is she not in the center of the story for about 5 books????????? Even if she has dragons and they are the key to kill the others, SHE STILL NEEDS TO GO TO WESTEROS GOD DAMNIT

She IS the center of the story for all of the books. Even when she is not in a book, people talk about her and make plans for her. Don't worry, she will get to Westeros to melt the Others.

34 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

Exactly, if we assume that the important part of the plot is Westeros she haven't done much to changes how things work there. Aegon (wheter he is fake or not) have done more in one book that she in 5 books.

Dany has provided an extremely important service to the plot and that was to stall, stall, stall while sitting in Mereen, looking pretty and ordering her servants around, so that all the other characters like Tyrion, etc. could converge there. :D

Just now, Sea Dragon said:

She IS the center of the story for all of the books. Even when she is not in a book, people talk about her and make plans for her. Don't worry, she will get to Westeros to melt the Others.

Erhm... Yeah, but people talk a lot about Cersei, Joffrey, Tyrion, Jon, LF, Varys, Aegon, Euron, Asha, Bran, Starks, Tyrells, Lannisters, Tullys. So....................... what's the argument again?

1 minute ago, weirwoodface said:

Dany has provided an extremely important service to the plot and that was to stall, stall, stall while sitting in Mereen, looking pretty and ordering her servants around, so that all the other characters like Tyrion, etc. could converge there. :D

This is more Martin's fault than anything. He wanted too many characters to converge at Meereen. Tyrion, Victarion and possibly Arya. And he wanted to a lot of characters to be doing things while she was in Meereen like, Tyrion getting lost and end up meeting aegon, Euron gaining control of the Pyke, Cersei getting mad, Aegon taking control of a castle in the reach, Bran getting to BR and Jon getting murdered. All those things happened while she was at Meereen and would've happened (or at least not the way it happened) if she was going from getting the unsullied army to Westeros. Martin made a big knot for himself writing that way. But he now have all pieces together to make her finally getting out Meereen.

Everything  is happening is in preparation for her to arrive. We are being set up for a big reveal of many houses and people being very loyal to her. Daenerys training over in Essos will be handy when she is ready to reconquer nad rule.

6 minutes ago, Sea Dragon said:

Everything  is happening is in preparation for her to arrive. We are being set up for a big reveal of many houses and people being very loyal to her. Daenerys training over in Essos will be handy when she is ready to reconquer nad rule.

I don't know if everything was a preparation for her. Varys didn't kill Kevan because he knew Dany was going to Westeros. Euron didn't send Victarion to Dany so he could aid her to get to Westeros. Bran didn't go to BR to aid Dany's conquering. The Tyrells didn't help the Lannisters to help Dany conquer Westeros, etc etc etc.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Except when she blabbed to Dontos about the Tyrell marriage.....and thus ended up under LF control and wanted for murder.

She made a mistake, every one does. and for now she is under his control but she also has a chance to learn politics and manipulation from the best. 

1 hour ago, Traverys said:

I'm sure confidence also plays into it. She's been emotionally and physically beaten down. Battered people don't just wake up one day and feel like they are in control and able to be free from being a victim.

I agree. For two years she was called stupid by almost everyone. but now thanks to her new situation she is becoming more confident. We can see it clearly in her sample chapter.

33 minutes ago, zandru said:

Not really. If the Hound hadn't stepped in and confirmed Sansa's off the cuff excuse, she'd have backtracked same as she did with her father, brother and whole family (they're traitors! they're all traitors!!) and given up Dontos to Joff's tender mercies. The Hound's remark stopped Joffers in his tracks and gave Sansa an opening to make other suggestions - and she never noticed. She just assumed that she had lucked onto some well-known adage, rather than recognizing that the man had lied to save her skin. Sandor never gets any credit.

Of course I give him credit for helping her, but the lie was not his idea. and she could stop after Sandor's interruption but she didn't. she tried one more time to save Dantos and she succeeded.

33 minutes ago, zandru said:

The most interesting parts of Sansa's chapters are her interactions with Sandor Clegane. Otherwise, as has been noted, it's all "poor little me!" and "I love Joffrey! Just L O O O O O V E  him! and all my family are traitors - TRAITORS!" That, and being bathed, combed, styled, dressed, and fed by hordes of servants. And snobbery towards the "lower classes."

She stopped loving Joffery the moment he killed her father and it happened in the first book.

Sansa stared at him, seeing him for the first time. He was wearing a padded crimson doublet patterned with lions and a cloth-of-gold cape with a high collar that framed his face. She wondered how she could ever have thought him handsome. His lips were as soft and red as the worms you found after a rain, and his eyes were vain and cruel. "I hate you," she whispered.

And she has stopped being snobbish along time ago.

Why are you ignoring her growth? she has changed a lot since the first book.

Archived