Mance and the Pied Piper

Mance reminds me of this story for some reason.  GM is a well-read guy and I am sure he's familiar with this story.  So what is Mance hoping to find in the crypts?  A magic harp that can lead the White Walkers to do his bidding?  Could it be that he intends to use this device to ransom off the children of the lords and ladies after he puts them under his spell?  

There is nothing to support this idea other than wishful thinking on my part but what if the White Walkers are angry because somebody broke a deal.  Like the Pied Piper in the story who got rid of the rats and the town refused to pay.  The Starks made a devil's bargain.  They acquired the talent to skin change and it gave them the advantage over the lords of the Dreadfort.  The Starks agreed to pay with regular blood offerings in the form of children left in the snow.  The family had to keep it a secret because it would break the king's rule.  Ned being the second son forgot about this when his dad failed to tell him all that he needed to know.

Here's a link to some extracurricular material for those so inclined.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/disturbing-true-story-pied-piper-hamelin-001969

http://www.indiana.edu/~librcsd/etext/piper/text.html

24 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Mance reminds me of this story for some reason.  GM is a well-read guy and I am sure he's familiar with this story.  So what is Mance hoping to find in the crypts?  A magic harp that can lead the White Walkers to do his bidding?  Could it be that he intends to use this device to ransom off the children of the lords and ladies after he puts them under his spell?  

There is nothing to support this idea other than wishful thinking on my part but what if the White Walkers are angry because somebody broke a deal.  Like the Pied Piper in the story who got rid of the rats and the town refused to pay.  The Starks made a devil's bargain.  They acquired the talent to skin change and it gave them the advantage over the lords of the Dreadfort.  The Starks agreed to pay with regular blood offerings in the form of children left in the snow.  The family had to keep it a secret because it would break the king's rule.  Ned being the second son forgot about this when his dad failed to tell him all that he needed to know.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/disturbing-true-story-pied-piper-hamelin-001969

That is certainly wishful thinking.   I highly doubt that this is even remotely true, and more than that I don't think it would make for a good story.  The WW are the big antagonist of the series, and their assault on Westeros is the ultimate climax in this saga,  doesn't it seem a little small potatoes for them to just be upset about a broken deal?  It would be a huge let down.  If that were the case they'd just be coming for the Starks and that's it.

Also nowhere in the books does it suggest that the WW have any sort of dominion over wargs, so why would they be the ones to grant the power?  What would they even do with these baby sacrifices?  a baby given to the white walkers would have to grow up and hit at least 15 in order for it to be a successful contributor to WW society, they don't really seem like the child rearing type to me.

I don't think this is true, and moreover I hope that it isn't.  It would be a colossal let down in the story telling

On 09/05/2017 at 4:58 PM, Widowmaker 811 said:

First of all you don't need to be a "well-read guy" to be familiar with something as basic as the Pied Piper. Unless the definition of "well-read" has been downgraded severely since I checked last time. What else does count as "well-read"? Knowing who Poseidon is?

Second of all...no.

Not only does nothing in the text so far hint towards your theory, but you also rather haphazardly disconnect, mix and match elements from the tale and ASoIaF to suit your conclusion.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:26 AM, spauldo17 said:

That is certainly wishful thinking.   I highly doubt that this is even remotely true, and more than that I don't think it would make for a good story.  The WW are the big antagonist of the series, and their assault on Westeros is the ultimate climax in this saga,  doesn't it seem a little small potatoes for them to just be upset about a broken deal?  It would be a huge let down.  If that were the case they'd just be coming for the Starks and that's it.

Also nowhere in the books does it suggest that the WW have any sort of dominion over wargs, so why would they be the ones to grant the power?  What would they even do with these baby sacrifices?  a baby given to the white walkers would have to grow up and hit at least 15 in order for it to be a successful contributor to WW society, they don't really seem like the child rearing type to me.

I don't think this is true, and moreover I hope that it isn't.  It would be a colossal let down in the story telling

The blood.  The blood is the life.  They feed on the blood.

Archived