Artist behind the most famous Targaryen sigil version???

Adam Targaryen

I was wondering if anyone knows where the h*ll the arguably most famous version of the Targaryen sigil comes from? You know, this one: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/thumb/1/1e/House_Targaryen.svg/250px-House_Targaryen.svg.png and similar versions of it. In case the link doesn't work, it's the one where the dragon forms a circle and has ears, white tongues and white claws. I think you all know which one I mean - It's pretty much the first and most common result that comes up when you google "House Targaryen sigil" and has even been used in canon-context several times, for example on one or several flags in Meereen in the show (like the big flag on top of the pyramid or the flag in the arena when Daenerys flies off on Drogon at the end of season 5, IIRC). As far as I understand, it's in itself an edit of a previous version - the four-legged one. This one:  https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/123851/2497105-game_of_thrones.targaryen_blog_.jpg. When I did a somewhat clumsy Google image search the oldest picture of the four-legged one (which should reasonably be the original one) was from like October 2010 or something, but I couldn't find out where it came from. Do any of you guys know?? Who's the original artist? And who turned the four-legged original pic into the new two-legged canon one? It would be amazing if it turns out it's some random amateur artist who's had his/her work spread, copied, changed and diluted over the Internet over the years and then one day finds out that it's being used on the show, for official merch products etc.

9 hours ago, Adam Targaryen said:

Okay thanks but like, how sure are you? What are you basing that on?

Because that's the first time that design started showing up, with the popularity of the show. Before season 1, the Targaryen symbol was mostly some variation of this one. That Targaryen symbol is one of the best things to come out of that show.

Also you have no idea how hard it was to find that old symbol, cause literally everywhere you look is the circle/show one. 

1 hour ago, Renly's Banana said:

Because that's the first time that design started showing up, with the popularity of the show. Before season 1, the Targaryen symbol was mostly some variation of this one. That Targaryen symbol is one of the best things to come out of that show.

Also you have no idea how hard it was to find that old symbol, cause literally everywhere you look is the circle/show one. 

Oh good God haha, yeah I can totally understand what you mean. That's some serious old skool shit. Thankyou once more

3 hours ago, Adam Targaryen said:

Oh good God haha, yeah I can totally understand what you mean. That's some serious old skool shit. Thankyou once more

That "old skool shit" was designed for the books by Virginia Norey. They're supposed to look genuinely medieval. Which, I guess, is truly some pretty old skool shit.

On 2017-05-11 at 0:57 PM, weirwoodface said:

That "old skool shit" was designed for the books by Virginia Norey. They're supposed to look genuinely medieval. Which, I guess, is truly some pretty old skool shit.

Well yeah, I didn't mean that it was bad

Archived