The Unholy Consult SPOILER thread

kuenjato

52 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Well, I hope I am. Sorry for being a bit of a smartass, wasn't in best of moods when posting that. I was just saying we at least know of one use. He bound the Ciphrangs to him and they do his bidding.

There has to be more to it, though, otherwise it's just flashy swag. Perhaps, by controlling those heads, Kellhus is able to access / shield himself in Hell. Or warn other Ciph from attacking / possessing. Or........ 

The New Empire arc once again features the POVs of Esmenet and Kelmomas. This storyline pretty much went nowhere until its last chapter in The Great Ordeal. Then all hells broke loose and Bakker closed the show of that particular plotline with a bang. It did end with a huge cliffhanger and I thought that it would make for a bigger chunk of The Unholy Consult. But no, as resolution comes rather quickly and then the action moves away from the Western Three Seas and never go back.

Makes me wonder why Bakker didn't include the resolution in TGO instead of that pointless cliffhanger. :dunno:

This arc also features a new point of view, one that must remain a secret for now. This POV also appears in the Great Ordeal arc and offers insight that wouldn't otherwise be available. Unanticipated, to be sure, but at times quite fascinating.

I'm expecting something totally out of the blue like a Bakker POV.

Great review, by the way. Some spoilers though to be sure.

2 minutes ago, Hello World said:

Makes me wonder why Bakker didn't include the resolution in TGO instead of that pointless cliffhanger. :dunno:

That does seem a bit weird; my suspicion is that this is Bakker simply being too complex and unclear when he should have been more simple. I don't think he wanted a cliffhanger, and probably didn't even think of it as such, but because a lot of his extra dramatic moments get flowery some of the basic things like 'did this person survive' are unclear.

2 minutes ago, Hello World said:

I'm expecting something totally out of the blue like a Bakker POV.

The POV was introduced in the TGO arc. Off the top of my head - I could be wrong - those would be Saubon, Proyas, Malowebi, Meppa?, WLW, Psatma, Fayanal, Kelmomas, and whatever the weird second person thing was. 

If he's just talking about ones introduced in TGO, I think that narrows it to Saubon, Meppa and Malowebi. And I could be wrong about Meppa. 

15 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Yet, not much a cliffhanger anymore is it? Pat tells us that Mimara and Esme have some heartbreaking scenes in TUC.

Unless...MIMARA SEES HER IN THE OUTSIDE

DUH

DUH 

DUUUUUHHHHH

7 hours ago, kuenjato said:

There has to be more to it, though, otherwise it's just flashy swag. Perhaps, by controlling those heads, Kellhus is able to access / shield himself in Hell. Or warn other Ciph from attacking / possessing. Or........ 

I think he shields hisself in hell/Outside with the whole head on a pole. Maybe there is more to it, and that wouldn't disappoint me. Just, we definitely know of one use, to have them do his bidding a là Malowebi and maybe Kosoter.

5 hours ago, Kalbear said:

That does seem a bit weird; my suspicion is that this is Bakker simply being too complex and unclear when he should have been more simple. I don't think he wanted a cliffhanger, and probably didn't even think of it as such, but because a lot of his extra dramatic moments get flowery some of the basic things like 'did this person survive' are unclear.

The POV was introduced in the TGO arc. Off the top of my head - I could be wrong - those would be Saubon, Proyas, Malowebi, Meppa?, WLW, Psatma, Fayanal, Kelmomas, and whatever the weird second person thing was. 

If he's just talking about ones introduced in TGO, I think that narrows it to Saubon, Meppa and Malowebi. And I could be wrong about Meppa. 

Well I think it'll be demon head Malowebi, and that'll be one fucked up POV.

Just now, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Well I think it'll be demon head Malowebi, and that'll be one fucked up POV.

Great, we get a PoV that is entirely an awkward staring at Kellhus' manhood. 

Just now, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

No, no, no. The one that Kelllhus sent to the Zeum. 

Oh, got it. Yeah, given Pat's review I suspect we're not getting a whole lot of that.

Theory: Kellhus uses Meppa's strength of water to aid his & Esme's translocation back to the Ordeal; Meppa is the new POV, giving us some additional insight into the metaphysics of the world & who he was prior to TAE.

Crackpot theory: Achamian will kneel before Kellhus, as Kellhus's physical form lies dying and his soul is siphoned into the No God carapice.

1 minute ago, Damelon said:

But why would Esmenet join the Ordeal? I mean, Momemn was not the safest place anymore, but the Ordeal?

She and Mimira meet, according to Pat's review. Unless it occurs at the very end of the novel, or unless M. views her in Hell, I don't see Bakker devoting many pages on an extended epilogue. I suspect the novel will end at Golgotterah. But I may be wrong. I do think the new POV will be Meppa, though, and that will be his ultimate purpose in the series - to get Kelly back to the Ordeal as fast as possible.

3 minutes ago, kuenjato said:

She and Mimira meet, according to Pat's review. Unless it occurs at the very end of the novel, or unless M. views her in Hell, I don't see Bakker devoting many pages on an extended epilogue. I suspect the novel will end at Golgotterah. But I may be wrong. I do think the new POV will be Meppa, though, and that will be his ultimate purpose in the series - to get Kelly back to the Ordeal as fast as possible.

Right, yeah I read Pat's review. Hence my question. What could Esme's function possibly be at the final battle?! Popcorn and drinks from a Yimaleti terrace?

My guess is that most of the PoN cast will die in this one, Akaa, Esmi, Cnaiur, Proyas, etc... The book will reveal that the Great Ordeal (who's fate is sealed by the last sentence of the book apparently) are the souls that the Consult/Kellhus will feed to the Carapace to create the No-God, but the fact that Kellhus fed them Sranc meat this whole time has messed with their souls in some way and the No-God will be different from what the Consult intended.

In the end Kellhus will have a big argument about this with Shae and the book ends exactly before we find out whether the No-God rises or not. :dunno:

4 hours ago, Hello World said:

My guess is that most of the PoN cast will die in this one, Akaa, Esmi, Cnaiur, Proyas, etc... The book will reveal that the Great Ordeal (who's fate is sealed by the last sentence of the book apparently) are the souls that the Consult/Kellhus will feed to the Carapace to create the No-God, but the fact that Kellhus fed them Sranc meat this whole time has messed with their souls in some way and the No-God will be different from what the Consult intended.

In the end Kellhus will have a big argument about this with Shae and the book ends exactly before we find out whether the No-God rises or not. :dunno:

No.

18 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

No, no, no. The one that Kelllhus sent to the Zeum. 

Scott confirmed that there will be no Zeum in this book, and indeed there is none. Although he's also said we will see Zeum in force at some point, which I suspect will be in the Final Series.

Archived