The Unholy Consult SPOILER thread

kuenjato

We have a lot of "moenghus did it all!" theorizing to fit in first, so much bargaining awaits.

Bakker could leave some mysteries open to alternative conspiratorial explanations even if those aren't explicitly written in the books. For example questions like how did the Dunyain find Ishual? Did Seswatha and Celmomas have anything to do with that? Why did Moe leave Ishual a few decades before the apocalypse? How much of the his encounter with Kellhus did Moe actually predict? What happened in the scene with Moe and Cnaiur? etc...

Bakker may leave all of these questions unaddressed implying that it is as straight forward as the text explicitly says. And you can accept that, or you could come up with alternative theories because, in reality, the people who could actually answer these questions (Moe, Celmomas, Seswatha, etc...) are all dead. As an example, Kellhus had no idea why Moe left Ishual, he made the story up when Cnaiur asked him, it's the only answer that we have from the books but it's not necessarily true.

A big conspiracy theory can be drawn from the creation of the Mandate and Ishual to Moenghus leaving and setting the stage up for the Mandate to teach Kellhus the Gnosis and then lead the way to Golgotterath. Even if this isn't said in the books because non of the currently alive characters know this including Kellhus himself.

On 6/5/2017 at 2:51 PM, lokisnow said:

Obviously, the new clue from MG is about the crab handed boy. Clearly, he's broken into the ark, stolen and cracked the Tekne, and whenever it is that someone says, "behold an angel descends" they are referring to crab-handed boy, with a jet pack, naked (like a cherub), flying over the battle, spraying both sides with laser death rays. All while snorting qirri made from Mekeritrig.

I imagine that after this book is released, this thread will go through a lot of Denial (reinterpretations or "that can't be it"), Anger at the author (THAT CANT BE IT?!) Bargaining (okay okay, but what about the origins of chanv and the rape of omindalea, can we have one or two fan theories in exchange for all the ones now killed?), depression ("this can't possibly be as non deep as True Detective can it? not when I've spent so much time on it!"), followed by Acceptance ("Actually that makes other things make sense so I am now sort of okay with most of it.")

But it might take most of us years to get to the point that Kal is at now.

We have a lot of "moenghus did it all!" theorizing to fit in first, so much bargaining awaits.

Some people will always stay stuck in the denial stage no matter what. Look at the people who continue to try and figure out the science behind ASOIAF's seasons when GRRM has said repeatedly that its just magic, or pretty much any Harry Potter theory related to Snape.

8 hours ago, redeagl said:

After TUC is officially released, someone should open a 

Reveal hidden contents

Bakker and Men thread :P

Oh God, no.

4 hours ago, odium said:

Do we get any kind of solid answers about Achamian's dreams? I will keep the question vague, I'm just curious about that story thread's resolution. 

Spoiler

No, other than we eventually realize that his dreams are accurate.

18 hours ago, Werthead said:

A History of Earwa, the PDF version.

No new info from Scott. Let me know what people think so I can fix any issues before sharing more widely.

I've only found one issue so far. In the appendix about sorcery, you state that there are only three known practitioners: Su’juroit, Kellhus, and Serwa (pages 107-108). But hasn't Saccarees Apperens grasped the metagnosis as well? Granted, we don't ever get to see him use it, but it's a big deal to the other Schoolmen in the Ordeal, as I recall.

I also see no mention of the Daimos in the sorcery appendix. I don't consider it to be a branch in and of itself, merely something that can be done with the Anagogis (and probably the Gnosis, too). Still, having no mention of it in the entry for the Scarlet Spires, at least, seems lacking.

Saccarees is said to have mastered one cant, which basically makes Saccarees the Status Quo to the Anasurimbor Tool. Still, it's worth a mention and I will adjust.

I'll add in a mention of the Daimos.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

As a heads up, I see ARCs popping up everywhere on goodreads, so you guys that are avoiding spoilers at all costs might want to be careful.

Hey, that's just me!

Also, since I finished the book, I am interested in knowing the ending that was told to you. Can you PM it? 

On 6/7/2017 at 7:17 PM, Kalbear said:
  Hide contents

No, other than we eventually realize that his dreams are accurate.

Spoiler

How did you deduce that?  Akka only said that they changed if I remember correctly.Also, even if they were accurate, we didn't get the reason of the change which was weird given MG's tease.

12 hours ago, redeagl said:
  Reveal hidden contents

How did you deduce that?  Akka only said that they changed if I remember correctly.Also, even if they were accurate, we didn't get the reason of the change which was weird given MG's tease.

It's confirmed at the end of the book.

Akka dreams of Nau-Cayuti being dug up, taken to Golgotterath, tortured for 2+ years and fed into the Carapace. This is independently verified by other characters in TUC.

So, first two chapters. Cool beans. The very first one was the one I thought would work well; the second one is kind of meh, but at least clarifies some things.

@Werthead, what's the policy on talking about publicly released previews? Do we need spoiler tags or not?

Archived