The Unholy Consult SPOILER thread

kuenjato

20 minutes ago, Hello World said:

There is a dream in WLW where a chain of prisoners are being lead somewhere in the ark but I don't remember them being consumed by the carapace. :dunno: I'm probably wrong though as it's been ages since WLW.

There's another dream of Nau-Cayuti's that ends TGO, where he's being led under the Inverse Fire in a long chain of people. I believe the dream ends right before he finds out...whatever.

18 minutes ago, End of Disc One said:

Would you guys recommend reading the 2 short stories in the glossary before starting the book?  I probably will just because those stories were released online first.

False Sun, yes. Absolutely. Massive tie ins to TUC. 

Four Revelations - not remotely. 

You can read both the short stories right now I believe. They're still up on Three Pound Brain.

Four Revelations is worth reading only with the narrative analysis tool someone came up with to break down WTF was going on in it, though.

The Golden Room, he called it. And it was the sum of all horrors.

The unseen horn would blare, scraping across intonations no human ear was meant to suffer. Shadows would rise from the threshold, and the procession would be heaved staggering forward—two steps, never more. He would listen to the shrieks, infant in their intensity, as the Golden Room devoured yet another damaged soul.

WLW, Chapter 9.

Then the hammer cracked, he stumbled forward in lurching unison, and the ceiling was behind him, and he walked glass over void once again. He dared peer ahead, out across the broken souls preceding …

And he saw it, a harder black staining the gloom, a confluence of gleaming edge and surface, the oiled phantom of something black looming in blackness …

A mighty sarcophag—

TGO, Chapter 17.

So, we did know it was the Carapace and that it was the Golden Room.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

You can read both the short stories right now I believe. They're still up on Three Pound Brain.

Four Revelations is worth reading only with the narrative analysis tool someone came up with to break down WTF was going on in it, though.

I think you are referring to my color coded version: here.

Bakkerfans' review of TUC is up.

I don't find anything particularly spoilery in it, but this seems to indicate that Mimara will see Kellhus with the Judging Eye:

Besotted, crazed with loss and bewildered hope, the old Wizard, Achamian, and the pregnant Prophet, Mimara, draw near to gaze upon the Aspect-Emperor with the Judging Eye. 

Also, to me this implies that Kellhus is most certainly not righteous.

In a contest of this magnitude, none can be sure their cause is righteous truth. 

14 minutes ago, Hello World said:

So the Mansion he gave to the Swayali is the same one that he met Moënghus in?

No. Illisseru was one of the Nine High Mansions like Ishterebinth and Cil-Aujas, it was huge (probably not as big as Siol and Nihrimsul though, those were much, much older). The one he met Moenghus in was much smaller. Each of the Nine Mansions had smaller outpost mansions. I suspect the one he met Moenghus in was one of those.

38 minutes ago, Werthead said:

No. Illisseru was one of the Nine High Mansions like Ishterebinth and Cil-Aujas, it was huge (probably not as big as Siol and Nihrimsul though, those were much, much older). The one he met Moenghus in was much smaller. Each of the Nine Mansions had smaller outpost mansions. I suspect the one he met Moenghus in was one of those.

Thanks Wert for the history of the Unification Wars, awesome.

That was answered at the end of TGO.

The Decapitants also get their own glossary entry (pretty much which was written in the article). I left out the major spoiler, which is that they are Headmasters from Transformers, and each one can turn into a little man who runs around and attacks people.

That was weird.

43 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

That was the use for the Decapitants, you didn't read the book?

I did. I suspect that if you think that was the only use for the Decapitants you'll be pleasantly surprised.

The bit where they levitated and flew around Kellhus's head smashing out snappy one-liners like Morte from Planescape: Torment and Murray from The Curse of Monkey Island was a rare moment of comic relief in the book, indeed.

I'll stop it now, that'll get annoying fast.

16 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I did. I suspect that if you think that was the only use for the Decapitants you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Well, I hope I am. Sorry for being a bit of a smartass, wasn't in best of moods when posting that. I was just saying we at least know of one use. He bound the Ciphrangs to him and they do his bidding.

Archived