Bakker XLIX - From Bashrags to Riches (No TUC Spoilers!)

.H.

I haven't read the Carathayan or EiaMoP, but for those interested here is what the only reivew on amazon says about the story:

"The Carathayan" by R. Scott Bakker

I'm going to grimdark hell for this but I actually had no idea what the hell was going on in this story from beginning to end. There's a lot of murder, mayhem, shouting, and accusations but I felt like I was going "Whose on First" the entire time.

Still the reviewer gives the book 4.5/5.

34 minutes ago, Hello World said:

I haven't read the Carathayan or EiaMoP, but for those interested here is what the only reivew on amazon says about the story:

Still the reviewer gives the book 4.5/5.

I just finished it and that's a pretty fair review. But I do think with some thought and teasing out that it contains some revelations about Earwa. It's a very short story and I recommend you read Bakker's forward to the anthology first as the story I think is Bakker's attempt to exemplify the philosophical points he makes in the forward. 

Bakker always seems to write like a jigsaw puzzle - what you get is a bunch of pieces all scattered around to rebuild the original structure from. Though I suspect he leaves out some pieces of the jigsaw puzzle - not to agitate, but for thematic reasons (in part he might be writing about worlds he doesn't even fully understand, and yet are plausible)

7 minutes ago, Hello World said:

Wait, what number is XLVIV?

Alright, but seems like a more common way to type it is XLIX. :dunno:

More common is a very charitable way of saying it. :P

Random links for visual inspiration:

Arkfall, seen from Viri by hairless Nonmen and -women in the foreground. 40 seconds into the Valerian trailer: https://www.cnet.com/videos/valerian-trailer-is-a-feast-for-the-eyes/ . (Number of horns and colour  is wrong, otherwise v. good.)

Boris the Animal in MiB III makes for a pretty good skin spy. See 13 seconds in 

and even better in the final scene: 

On 5/26/2017 at 4:22 PM, Kalbear said:

More common is a very charitable way of saying it. :P

Alright, you guys figured me out, I'm not even pretend smart...

46 minutes ago, akh said:

Do we have an explanation what that suspicious looking ring of islands NW of Golgotterath is? Looks like another crash site.

I think it's just ancient asteroid impact craters. Not Scaldings: a nuke fireball big enough to create that size of crater would irradiate the planet.

Or not so ancient - some other space fairers lassoed an asteroid and sent it down. Cast the first stone...

Dat map, tho. Scroll in on them mountains and it's like entering SNES Earwa! (that's a good thing! :) ). Bonus, scroll in and pretend your on the Inchoroi ship as it goes in to crash!

19 hours ago, akh said:

Do we have an explanation what that suspicious looking ring of islands NW of Golgotterath is? Looks like another crash site.

As does Cirionj and there's a few more around the southern Kayarsus, probably some others I've missed. Asteroid impacts? Other sections of the Ark that split off? Other "Arks"? Your guess is as good as mine.

A more interesting take on the Sarcophagus of the No-God

2 hours ago, Drorian said:

hi guys I've just read the false sun, I don't know if it's been discussed before but do you think kellhus could've seen the "nuke" and understood its effect cause of the place being a topos?

I don't know why being a Topos would lend understanding of a Tekne artifact. I think that it's basically what it says on the text. Kellhus recognized it as one of the things that caused a Scalding in the past, recognized the countdown, and quickly determined that it was a nuke. He just happened to pull it out because he was excavating the entire thing. 

7 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Does that comic actually have anything to do with Bakker, or is it just a series of plot/tone similarities? Coming from someone who has not read a single page not linked in this forum.

Similar themes, explorations of morality and kickass fight sequences, gods and devils and the Outside. But nothing specifically to do with Bakker as far as I know. 

I just thought it amusing that they actually have a sarcophagus that ends up being the ruler of all devils - and it's sitting down for a conversation like you would with a school's principal. 

Archived