Bakker XLIX - From Bashrags to Riches (No TUC Spoilers!)

.H.

It's basically been Wert and Kalbear giving impressions, detailing narrative events, answering questions about things appearing or not appearing, and now discussion of the one and a half preview chapters, Rhom.

EDIT: And now redeagl, as he won one of the two giveaway ARCs from mrganondorf at SA.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

That spoiler thread gets longer and longer and I keep wanting to click on it...

:crying: 

Don't do it! Just a few more weeks until America gets a Bakker birthday present. 

I can't tell you how excited I am about this book. It completely replaced my yearning  for The Winds Of Winter. My only fear is that it's too short, and that we don't get a sequel for several years.

On 6/12/2017 at 2:23 PM, Gronzag said:

I can't tell you how excited I am about this book. It completely replaced my yearning  for The Winds Of Winter. My only fear is that it's too short, and that we don't get a sequel for several years.

Well I imagine it's going to be several years tila new book no matter what.

2 hours ago, redeagl said:

I would say 2019. Bakker isn't really a slow writer nor are his books THAT big.

Well, I was under the impression he didn't even know if he was going to write it yet and he doesn't have a contract, but maybe things have changed? I'm sure someone here is in the know about all that.

29 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, I was under the impression he didn't even know if he was going to write it yet and he doesn't have a contract, but maybe things have changed? I'm sure someone here is in the know about all that.

Last I had heard was that he was in the process of writing it. There was no contract for publishing it, however. 

While Bakker may not be a slow writer keep in mind that it took 6 years for TGO/TUC to come out when he was forced to take a normal job, and now he has that and a kid. His writing pace is probably less speedy than it was back in the day. Also keep in mind that TGO/TUC and TAE was the story that he always wanted to write and this was his finish; whatever is after this is something he decided on more recently. That's likely going to delay things too, if he's going to flesh that out.

The third series, I believe, was something he decided to write somewhere around the turn of the century, maybe a bit earlier; before he even started TDTCB he said he wanted to write a trilogy consisting of the novels The Prince of NothingThe Aspect-Emperor and a third book he wouldn't name. I think The Unholy Consult being the end of the whole thing was what he had planned when he first created the series back in the mid-1980s, but that got abandoned relatively early on.

He doesn't have a publishing contract but he did confirm in March that he began writing it. Also, it appears that Bakker wrote some other material in the TWLW-TGO gap, and then taking in mind that the renegotiation for 4 books thing which also took time. I would say his writing speed isn't bad.

3 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

TSTSNBN was talked about by him back in the Three-Seas days, no? I'd say that he doesn't have to flesh much at all out and knows exactly what the story will be. Speed of writing and a contract would be only two things I think that would hold it up.

I'm sure it was talked about, but having a concept of a story vs. fleshing it out and writing it are very different things. I'm also not sure how thrilled he is with the whole thing. He's been off the internet for what, a couple months now - just as the book is coming out? 

Just now, Werthead said:

The third series, I believe, was something he decided to write somewhere around the turn of the century, maybe a bit earlier; before he even started TDTCB he said he wanted to write a trilogy consisting of the novels The Prince of NothingThe Aspect-Emperor and a third book he wouldn't name. I think The Unholy Consult being the end of the whole thing was what he had planned when he first created the series back in the mid-1980s, but that got abandoned relatively early on.

No, I know that - but the story he just told was the one that he's been wanting to tell for 30 years; TUC was the end point  that he envisioned all those years ago. He's since changed that, but that idea is a lot more new than the prior one. My point is simply that he's already said how satisfied he is that he got to tell the TUC ending, and perhaps he won't be quite as motivated to tell the end of the third series.

Just now, redeagl said:

Yeah, I don't understand Kalbear's point. In fact, I remember Bakker saying that the less time he spends on the internet, the more time he spends writing.

Writing what though? As you said, he works on a lot of things at the same time. 

My simple data point is this: when he had to get a real job instead of writing full time his pace dropped off considerably. There are other smaller factors to consider that might make this take more time - things like the next series having not quite the same level of zeal his previous ones did, having less thought behind them, no RPG experience, etc - but the main one is that we have a pretty clear data point of before having a job and after having a job as to what his rate of writing is.

In addition to that, we may have a situation like TGO - where the book is 'done' but takes an extra year or so to get published. That's pretty typical when you're trying to get a deal done. 

@Werthead, do we have any updated sales figures on TGO or Bakker in general? 

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Writing what though? As you said, he works on a lot of things at the same time. 

My simple data point is this: when he had to get a real job instead of writing full time his pace dropped off considerably. There are other smaller factors to consider that might make this take more time - things like the next series having not quite the same level of zeal his previous ones did, having less thought behind them, no RPG experience, etc - but the main one is that we have a pretty clear data point of before having a job and after having a job as to what his rate of writing is.

In addition to that, we may have a situation like TGO - where the book is 'done' but takes an extra year or so to get published. That's pretty typical when you're trying to get a deal done. 

@Werthead, do we have any updated sales figures on TGO or Bakker in general? 

Oh, I agree with you. There's roadblocks aplenty, and I don't expect the next installment next year...that's very hopeful. I just know from Q&A's and TPB that he's actually begun on the next series and has plenty of material on it.

Just now, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Oh, I agree with you. There's roadblocks aplenty, and I don't expect the next installment next year...that's very hopeful. I just know from Q&A's and TPB that he's actually begun on the next series and has plenty of material on it.

Okay, that's cool.

Another thought experiment is to start this way: assume the book is done right this instant. How soon could it be published? It would almost certainly take a year - to work out a multi-book deal, find publishers in different countries and make those deals, figure out the proper slotting and the like, get an editor or several on board, etc. While this would likely be smoother than it was with Overlook, it is still not a fast process. 

So the earliest it could possibly be released  is Summer 2018. Now, how long does it take to write another book? A year? That seems unlikely to me given how long it took to write TGO/TUC. 2 years is probably more safe. The deal can be worked on during that time, but it's probably the case that anyone who makes a deal would want to see something of a completed manuscript before making a deal - so we're again probably looking at 2-3 years in a reasonable case. 

I would imagine a lot also has to do with the critical and monetary acclaim for TUC, which is why I was asking about TGO. My impression is that a lot of the zeal for the series has dropped off a bit, but that's not based on data, merely observations of how much the books are talked about on fansites and the like and some of the reviews on Amazon. 

19 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I think that would happen however , I can't see how he wouldn't be motivated to write the series it self especially :

Spoiler

Given the setting of it.

Archived