Bakker XLIX - From Bashrags to Riches (No TUC Spoilers!)

.H.

1 hour ago, Callan S. said:

It's always interesting the theme of how, in the magic, Intellect is judged, but Passion is witless, so Passion avoids judgement through sheer witlessness. A kind of anti intellectualism, which is only possible due to intellectualism (Intellectualism can detect aberrations in itself, Passion cannot)

It doesn't though, the Cish seem to be damned despite not bearing the Mark.  

4 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

It doesn't though, the Cish seem to be damned despite not bearing the Mark.  

How so? Keep in mind that whistling on a Tuesday gets you damned in Earwa, so an account of a damned Cish could be for any number of reasons (like believing wrong). Pretty sure the magic system is explained that intellect can tell a discrepancy but passion cannot - so Cish aren't marked. However, that doesn't stop them getting on Satan's naughty list in other ways.

Mimara has never looked at a Cish.  She did see a Fanim guy in the Skin Eaters as damned, though whether that was for his beliefs or his crimes is unknown.

Fanic theology itself doesn't concern itself with the Outside's Heavens and Hells - it's all Hell to them.  Like the Non-men their goal to escape the Outside and reach oblivion, except whereas the Nonman see oblivion as oblivion, the Fanim see escaping the Outside as a way to reach the Solitary God and the real afterlife i.e. the Fanim's conception of Heaven is more inline with IRL religions.  The Outside is just a spooky dimension to them.

Uh oh. First the date went from July 4th to the 11th.

I am now seeing July 25th on the Amazon site as well.

They are sure being consistent at Overlook, having pulled this exact same trick with TTT, TJE and WLW as well.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

They are sure being consistent at Overlook, having pulled this exact same trick with TTT, TJE and WLW as well.

Can you provide a link? I still see only July 11 for the US release.

23 hours ago, WalterX said:

On The Second Apocalypse forum Bakker answers a question about Titurga like this:

"Little is known of Titirga's extraordinary gifts. Though various accounts reference instances that seem to support the notion that he somehow anticipated the Psukhe, idiosyncrasies abound in the descriptions of sorcery in the time of Ancient Umerau."

Given the idea that he was blind as a child, I'd say he was partly to a Cesaurim, aping God's tone and thus avoiding the bruise of damnation.

20 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, Titirga appears to have found a way of using the Gnosis and Psukhe together, which explains how he was so powerful when he (apparently) couldn't wield the Metagnosis.

Thanks gents. So he may have been using the Psukhe pre cishaurim. So does that hint that fanimry is bollocks, given that Titirga didn't have the solitary god reveal it to him a la Fane (as far as we know it I suppose)? I know we haven't seen Kelhus use the Psukhe either in POV. I wonder has he investigated it at all. I suppose he'd have had to, and disregarded it or the pursuit of it for some reason.

1 hour ago, Damelon said:

Can you provide a link? I still see only July 11 for the US release.

Scroll down to the product details on amazon.com

"

• Publisher: The Overlook Press (July 25, 2017)"

Ominous, especially given their history of doing this every single time.

7 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Scroll down to the product details on amazon.com

"

• Publisher: The Overlook Press (July 25, 2017)"

Ominous, especially given their history of doing this every single time.

That would be a bummer for all the US and HC loving Bakkerites. Sharp eyes, Calibandar.

3 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Is this just for the hardcover? I preorder a copy for my Kindle and it still says it'll be delivered on July 4th. 

28 minutes ago, redeagl said:

Do we begin the disscusion as soon as the UK book is released or wait for the US one? 

Shouldn't that go in the spoiler thread regardless? I feel there should be a month or so  for those of us who aren't able to get the book right away. 

14 hours ago, Callan S. said:

How so? Keep in mind that whistling on a Tuesday gets you damned in Earwa, so an account of a damned Cish could be for any number of reasons (like believing wrong). Pretty sure the magic system is explained that intellect can tell a discrepancy but passion cannot - so Cish aren't marked. However, that doesn't stop them getting on Satan's naughty list in other ways.

So why do chorae kill them?

28 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

If I were to guess, it goes like this:

chorae salt sorcerers 

chorae cause ciahaurim to burn up in a flash of blinding light

Salt is traditionally a sign of purification

sorcery turns on ontology and sorcery therefore leaves a mark because sorcery is impure ontology, In essence impure meanings.

chorae purify impure meaning which has the literal effect of taking abstract impure meaning and trying into a concretized pure manifestation of meaning aka "salt"

Cishaurim have no ontology aspect to their magic rather are gods pure passion rechanneled to the wrong place,. So it does not leave a mark of manifesting impurity within the world. But it is still an impurity in the world purifies in this instance by a burning flash restoring gods passion to its proper channel, so to speak.

40 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Adding to what @lokisnow said, chorae kill Cish for game balance. 

Oh, fine. Chorae kill Cish because Chorae disrupt meaning and intent. They do not disrupt damnation - they have  nothing to do with damnation, so whether or not something has the bruise of the Mark is not important for chorae (otherwise things like Kosoter couldn't wear the chorae). Rather, chorae stop meaning from being changed due to intent. 

For sorcerers, they change the objective world to their meaning via expressing their intent via words. The more precisely they can express their intent, the more powerful they can be, and this is why anagnostic magic isn't as powerful as gnostic and that isn't as powerful as metagnostic - because each level is more precise in its intent. Chorae go in and basically say 'yeah, but the world isn't like that' and stop that intent. 

Cishaurim don't use intent in that way, they use it as a recollection of the voice of the God  - but they are still expressing their meaning, and the result is that chorae can also disrupt this too in a similar way. 

Chorae don't work in disrupting things like Topos or the wight of Cil-Aujas because those bring their own frame of objectivity with them; for them, what they're doing is the 'world is like that' because their belief made it so that the world (at least in that place) IS like that. There is nothing for a chorae to nullify, as the world is properly set. 

Archived