Bakker XLIX - From Bashrags to Riches (No TUC Spoilers!)

.H.

8 hours ago, Consigliere said:

I'm on chapter 15 and honestly it has been a chore.

Yep. I just hit fifteen, and this is a really boring, repetitive, pointless novel. Unless Bakker pulls out something pretty damn spectacular in the ending this is definitely the last of his books I spend money on.

I see people on Goodreads complaining that this is a disappointing end to the series, and giving it low marks for lack of closure.  It's funny because I remember people saying the same things about The Thousandfold Thought.  It shouldn't be so confusing that the Second Apocalypse is not over yet.

Other complaints are probably valid though (haven't read the book myself).

2 hours ago, End of Disc One said:

I see people on Goodreads complaining that this is a disappointing end to the series, and giving it low marks for lack of closure.  It's funny because I remember people saying the same things about The Thousandfold Thought.  It shouldn't be so confusing that the Second Apocalypse is not over yet.

Other complaints are probably valid though (haven't read the book myself).

Yeah from what I've seen people either love it or hate it and there isn't much in between. I agree that it's easy to not worry about any cliff hangers knowing there is a third series on the way. 

6 hours ago, End of Disc One said:

I see people on Goodreads complaining that this is a disappointing end to the series, and giving it low marks for lack of closure.  It's funny because I remember people saying the same things about The Thousandfold Thought.  

At the same time though, a lot of very glowing reviews as well.

I think I'll be on the side of those who will really like almost all of what's in there, but am also likely to complain that it was not enough, that perhaps too many storylines are not addressed at all, or rushed through. That's been the only fear I have with this book.

As for TTT, yes, well, it ends the trilogy but when you finish it, it is blatantly obvious that the bulk of the story is yet to be told. TUC should not feel that way. As a capstone to the rather more modest Prince of Nothing storyline it offers decent closure I think, but even then it definitely left me feeling I'd want to read the next one right away to see where it's going.

FYI: for those waiting in the U.S., it appears as if Barnes & Noble has some copies in stock now. I just put a copy on reserve and received a notification they're holding it for me so I'll be picking it up when I get a chance later today.

Bakker will be having a second AMA on Reddit on August 2nd and will be discussing things related to all 7 books. 

For those who ordered from Book Depository, was there a way for you to track you package? I was expecting mine to arrive today, but no luck. Maybe tomorrow or Monday at the latest hopefully. 

11 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

Bakker will be having a second AMA on Reddit on August 2nd and will be discussing things related to all 7 books. 

For those who ordered from Book Depository, was there a way for you to track you package? I was expecting mine to arrive today, but no luck. Maybe tomorrow or Monday at the latest hopefully. 

Sweet. Thanks for the heads up

Archived