Bakker XLIX - From Bashrags to Riches (No TUC Spoilers!)

.H.

Well, so does he.

It's reaching a wider audience not just to have more facebook friends. It seems to be to prod at a bunch of issues he has with society, of which he seems to have a metric f' ton. For someone who's decided to fight a war on multiple fronts at once, he's doing pretty well. If he actually sold out, he'd do incredibly well. Though he would lose his soul, he'd gain the world.

6 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I was thinking more about how his interactions online, both recently and in the past, have driven a lot of people away.

and I live under a bridge 

Come on, you can be more negative dude. It feels like your posts are only 90% full of venom and constant negativity towards Bakker. Surely you can go the extra mile and add a bit more disgust and condemnation? 

I haven't read the recent AMA yet, but I've only seen Bakker act cordial towards his readers.  Maybe he has a high opinion of his own work, but I mostly do too.  And I think his mind is in a totally different place than everyone else's...reminds me of John Lennon's line, "no one I think is in my tree."

11 hours ago, Callan S. said:

But it'd also have to take into account he wants to reach a wide audience, not an echo chamber. So he'd have to be able to take the money but still potentially devote significant time to general publishing since it reaches a general audience.

I don't think those things are incompatible. NK Jemisin runs a Patreon to help support her writing, while also publishing it for a broader audience. Bakker could do the same thing (assuming he has a publisher), or self-publish the books however he likes and release parts of them earlier for Patreon subscribers (if he doesn't).

5 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Come on, you can be more negative dude. It feels like your posts are only 90% full of venom and constant negativity towards Bakker. Surely you can go the extra mile and add a bit more disgust and condemnation? 

Sorry I've been out of sorts. I'll ramp the negativity up a bit after lunch.

13 hours ago, Callan S. said:

Well, so does he.

It's reaching a wider audience not just to have more facebook friends. It seems to be to prod at a bunch of issues he has with society, of which he seems to have a metric f' ton. For someone who's decided to fight a war on multiple fronts at once, he's doing pretty well. If he actually sold out, he'd do incredibly well. Though he would lose his soul, he'd gain the world.

the term "selling out" is just an Orwellian social construction to "keep you in your place" by making you think success is actually failure and failure is actually success.

but Bakker would never realize that, holding tight to the idea that purity in failure is proof of success in *insert bullshit self serving concept here*

19 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

the term "selling out" is just an Orwellian social construction to "keep you in your place" by making you think success is actually failure and failure is actually success.

but Bakker would never realize that, holding tight to the idea that purity in failure is proof of success in *insert bullshit self serving concept here*

Yes, but success at what? When I use the phrase 'selling out', I refer to the fact that the various companies who would pay to use your IP would not at all be interested in your IP if folk had not believed in your IP to begin with. Without their belief, the companies don't want to pay you anything for your IP. With their belief, the companies want to pay you to use your IP...and to do so is selling the belief folk had. The creator of Calvin and Hobbes didn't go into t-shirts and paraphernalia for this issue, I think.

And in terms of pushing social issues, I think Bakker is right about complaints and that 'failure' - so often people hold contesting views, they complain because they are not used to being argued with on certain points. The 'failures' indicate hitting actual targets. The few times I've seen people raise an issue like a timeline error, something that wasn't trying to engage a (what Bakker thinks is a) problematic social issue, they've been polite and appreciative rather than it being a failure to engage them through the books. He only seems to 'fail' when running into the social targets he set out to run into. Say I don't like dog fights and write a book engaging that - if my book actually reaches people who run dog fights, they are going to complain. But I don't like dog fights, so is that a failure or is that a success?

8 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

No, if you set out to write a book that you say is full of meaning and then get to the end and tell everyone it was all actually meaningless and you had no idea what you were doing...that's failure.

Spoiler

I looked up the 'narrative instincts' post. Doesn't seem to say it's all meaningless there. Just an absence of hard closure (I don't know if the end of the Soprano's was an issue as well)

Haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but the reviews on Amazon.com are hilariously divisive.

I've honestly rarely seen a novel this divisive in response. Goodreads review lean more to the positive I noticed, but with a few deeply disappointed one in there as well. It seems to be a novel that people either rate 9 or 10 stars out of 10, or 1.

29 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but the reviews on Amazon.com are hilariously divisive.

I've honestly rarely seen a novel this divisive in response. Goodreads review lean more to the positive I noticed, but with a few deeply disappointed one in there as well. It seems to be a novel that people either rate 9 or 10 stars out of 10, or 1.

That sounds about right pre reading the Bakker AMA. 

Archived