Bakker XLIX - From Bashrags to Riches (No TUC Spoilers!)

.H.

2 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

What is a "print run" exactly? Do you mean the pages of the font, book or something like that?

A print run is how many copies of the book are made in one go.  Printer sets up, runs all the books, then changes to run another book.  If you're doing, randomly, 5000 books instead of 30,000, they'll be done earlier, less packaging, less logistics to ship them out, all of that.  (And logistics doesn't scale exactly like how you'd expect, which can be fun.)

18 hours ago, Piper said:

Horrible business by Overlook to let the U.K. publication come out almost three weeks before they can get the US version out. Count me as another US purchaser who paid the extra for shipping across the Atlantic instead of waiting for Overlook to get their act together.

The overall impression Overlook has given over the past 7 years is poor all the way around.

This release date business has been a consistent bugbear. If you want the US hardcover, you'll just have to wait a few weeks more. And unfortunately even now you don't know if July 25th is the real date, because up until last week it was the 11th, and before that, it was the 4th.

I'm sure everybody would be happy if Scott's next deal would be with a bigger publisher. On the upside, their physical hardcovers are very nice.

3 hours ago, Little Valkyrie said:

A print run is how many copies of the book are made in one go.  Printer sets up, runs all the books, then changes to run another book.  If you're doing, randomly, 5000 books instead of 30,000, they'll be done earlier, less packaging, less logistics to ship them out, all of that.  (And logistics doesn't scale exactly like how you'd expect, which can be fun.)

Thanks! Ive always been interested in the details of how books are published. Something I'll have to look into more I suppose. 

3 hours ago, Calibandar said:

The overall impression Overlook has given over the past 7 years is poor all the way around.

This release date business has been a consistent bugbear. If you want the US hardcover, you'll just have to wait a few weeks more. And unfortunately even now you don't know if July 25th is the real date, because up until last week it was the 11th, and before that, it was the 4th.

I'm sure everybody would be happy if Scott's next deal would be with a bigger publisher. On the upside, their physical hardcovers are very nice.

Its obviously a secret conspiracy me and kal are running to torpedo Bakker's career. *rolls eyes*

On 7/1/2017 at 5:14 PM, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

If you want the Kindle from Amazon.co.uk, just change your address and phone number to a library in the UK and then change it back a few weeks after purchasing it. No need to wait til the 25th.

I need a step-by-step tutorial.

The trailer for that new movie Valerian came on during a commercial break and I looked up as the ship was crashing into the planet without realizing what I was seeing. For a second I thought Bakker was hitting the big screen and I got super excited before reality took hold. 

5 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

The trailer for that new movie Valerian came on during a commercial break and I looked up as the ship was crashing into the planet without realizing what I was seeing. For a second I thought Bakker was hitting the big screen and I got super excited before reality took hold. 

Yeah, I posted that on TPB as Arc fall

Someone posted a fan made 3D animation on the FB SA page of Arc fall, but I can't find it now.

9 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Really though, I know Overlook is kind of shitty, well, sometimes very shitty, but a not even a mo nth publishing difference between the UK and USA is pretty standard these days when you have different publishers and I doubt they're doing it on purpose.

You're missing the point. It was not scheduled to be different dates at all, it's another last minute delay on Overlook's part.

Just as previous books in the series were intended to be published at the same time.

Aside from that, yes, of course UK and US release dates sometimes change from one another, that happens all the time. 

In those cases it is intended and scheduled.

4 hours ago, Callan S. said:

Yeah, I posted that on TPB as Arc fall

Someone posted a fan made 3D animation on the FB SA page of Arc fall, but I can't find it now.

It really is a good depiction of what Arkfall looks like in my head. I wonder if the directors have read Bakker at all. 

Archived