U.S. Politics: Moscow on the Potomac

Hahaha, first Trump fires Comey, which some people think could be interpreted as obstruction of justice, and this morning he tweets that Comey better be sure there are no 'tapes' before he starts leaking information about their conversations, which can be interpreted as witness intimidation. Just imagine the Republican reaction if Obama fired someone and then came out with that line!

So Trump is signalling he wears a wire when he has dinner with you?

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Hahaha, first Trump fires Comey, which some people think could be interpreted as obstruction of justice, and this morning he tweets that Comey better be sure there are no 'tapes' before he starts leaking information about their conversations, which can be interpreted as witness intimidation. Just imagine the Republican reaction if Obama fired someone and then came out with that line!

So Trump is signalling he wears a wire when he has dinner with you?

No. There has been speculation that conversations in the Oval Office are taped. If they are though, it could be subpoenaed. 

He incriminated himself, out of his own mouth, with his own words -- he fired Comey because of the investigation into his connection to the Russian interference of the POTUS campaign on his behalf.  And yet he continues to have meetings with Russian officials, who are part of Pooty's posse.

But you know it's all fake news.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/05/12/trump-threatens-to-cancel-white-house-briefings-because-it-is-not-possible-to-always-tell-the-truth/

In a pair of tweets sent Friday, Trump suggested he might do away with the daily press briefings at the White House and instead have his spokesmen communicate to the public only via “written responses.”

Guys, the WaPo URL is full of Grade A shade.

I just had a pretty random thought and I wanted to bounce it off the board here. 

The person in the White House who has been most actively working with Congress to get stuff done is Mike Pence.  The one person in the White House that cannot be fired by Trump is Pence.  The person who stands to gain the most from Trump being removed from office is Pence.  If things continue deteriorating between Trump and reality, might Pence start actively working to get Trump removed?  He has a lot more friends in Congress than the WH does.  He isn't a Trumpist, he was just a guy they picked to get establishment Republicans on board because Kasich said no.  He has to know that if Trump fails to get reelected his political career is over.  And he likewise no doubt knows that Republicans could get an awful lot of pro-Jesus work done if Trump weren't constantly derailing things. 

Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but betting on a politician to be ambitious is usually a good choice. 

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I just had a pretty random thought and I wanted to bounce it off the board here. 

The person in the White House who has been most actively working with Congress to get stuff done is Mike Pence.  The one person in the White House that cannot be fired by Trump is Pence.  The person who stands to gain the most from Trump being removed from office is Pence.  If things continue deteriorating between Trump and reality, might Pence start active working to get Trump removed?  He has a lot more friends in Congress than the WH does.  He isn't a Trumpist, he was just a guy they picked to get establishment Republicans on board because Kasich said no.  He has to know that if Trump fails to get reelected his political career is over.  And he likewise no doubt knows that Republicans could get an awful lot of pro-Jesus work done if Trump weren't constantly derailing things. 

Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but betting on a politician to be ambitious is usually a good choice. 

Yeah, I think that guy might just be smart enough to play that angle. Another thing he should consider is that it obviously does not pay to be loyal to this asshole. He is going to throw you under the bus at some point, so why not beat him to the punch? The main thing that might prevent him from doing so is any information he might have that can condemn his boss, may also condemn him as well.

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I think that guy might just be smart enough to play that angle. Another thing he should consider is that it obviously does not pay to be loyal to this asshole. He is going to throw you under the bus at some point, so why not beat him to the punch? The main thing that might prevent him from doing so is any information he might have that can condemn his boss, may also condemn him as well.

Trump has already thrown him under the bus several times.  Just this week Pence was front and center with the "it was the deputy AG who pushed to fire Comey", only to have Trump contradict him.  Or when the first health care bill went down in flames and Trump tried to distance himself by blaming the authors (namely Pence and Price).  Or when Trump-man Mike Flynn lied to Pence and Sally Yates told Trump he lied to him, and Trump didn't fire him for another 18 days.  Or hell, the Pence VP announcement where Trump stole the stage to reiterate his "Trump-is-the-best" speech. 

I don't know much about the Trump-Pence relationship, but Trump has already given Pence plenty of shit to eat.

Leaving aside the insanity of the idea that we'd take the word of Trump's employee about that, the funniest part of it to me is "with few exceptions." Guys, he has no Russian connections, other than the Russian connections he has.

Actually, when you look at it in context, it's not as funny..

The letter dated March 8 was sent to the president by Sheri Dillon and William Nelson, partners at Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP. It specified that the only major exceptions were a Miss Universe pageant held in Moscow in 2013 that generated $12.2 million in foreign income, most of it from Russia, and the 2008 sale of an estate in Florida to a Russian billionaire for $95 million.

Beyond that, the more than 500 entities that make up the Trump Organization received “immaterial” amounts from sales of goods and services to Russians or Russian entities, the letter says.

Whether any of that is true or not is, of course, a separate issue.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Trump has already thrown him under the bus several times.  Just this week Pence was front and center with the "it was the deputy AG who pushed to fire Comey", only to have Trump contradict him.  Or when the first health care bill went down in flames and Trump tried to distance himself by blaming the authors (namely Pence and Price).  Or when Trump-man Mike Flynn lied to Pence and Sally Yates told Trump he lied to him, and Trump didn't fire him for another 18 days.  Or hell, the Pence VP announcement where Trump stole the stage to reiterate his "Trump-is-the-best" speech. 

I don't know much about the Trump-Pence relationship, but Trump has already given Pence plenty of shit to eat.

Not Pence. Mother. Mother is behind all of it. I'm sure of it. That's right Dude. 100% certain.

1 hour ago, Swordfish said:

Actually, when you look at it in context, it's not as funny..

Whether any of that is true or not is, of course, a separate issue.

As the Atlantic points out, this letter, while it could be technically accurate, doesn't preclude shell non-Russian entities from having business with Trump.

Edit: Also mentioned in the article is that Russians may not directly want to lend to Trump or his organization, but rather go through a Cyprus corporation, for example.

Archived