U.S. Politics: Moscow on the Potomac

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

A Dutch television project that is complete -- i.e. not telling us anything we who have known him for years don't know, but here it all is, in one place -- "The dubious friends of Donald Trump: the Russians" --

Good stuff. I'm on part 2 right now. Thanks for posting.

1 hour ago, Triskan said:

But is some of it also complacency when there's a friendly President in office?

With a few exceptions (e.g. FDR's first term), the President's party almost always loses seats in Congress.

35 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Hey second amendment supporters? This is type of tyranny that the second amendment was put into place to prevent.

Hardly. The situation at hand is an elected President firing an unelected bureaucrat which is entirely within the President's rights. The Second Amendment was part of an effort to prevent the formation of the sprawling bureaucracy that our federal government has become. This effort failed, but it is completely unreasonable to expect its proponents to defend the bureaucrats from the one and only method of control the people have over them.

27 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Hardly. The situation at hand is an elected President firing an unelected bureaucrat which is entirely within the President's rights. The Second Amendment was part of an effort to prevent the formation of the sprawling bureaucracy that our federal government has become. This effort failed, but it is completely unreasonable to expect its proponents to defend the bureaucrats from the one and only method of control the people have over them.

I was referring to the women arrested for laughing and the reporter arrested for asking questions. Since those things are a big fuck you to the first amendment.

59 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Not sure why Comey doesnt want to speak with Congress again unless its a public hearing? What's his rationale for that stance anyways?

Court of Public Opinion...or...Trump goes completely ballistic, making his earlier tantrums look downright trivial.  It also puts the congress people in a bind - they play partisan dirty tricks, the whole country knows it. 

That said, Comey is real unlikely to divulge details of a major ongoing investigation.  But he doesn't have to.

13 hours ago, Altherion said:

With a few exceptions (e.g. FDR's first term), the President's party almost always loses seats in Congress.

To clarify, in midterms.  Interestingly, the two exceptions since 1934 came somewhat recently and consecutively.  First, in 1998 - with widespread (including intraparty) dissatisfaction with Gingrich as Speaker and frustration over the GOPs preoccupation with impeachment.  Then, in 2002 - which I hope does not need too much explanation.

So this happened in Charlottesville, Virginia last night.  A 'candlelight march' according to  white supremacist Richard Spencer who attended.  Plus chants of “You will not replace us,” “Russia is our friend” and “Blood and soil.”  The local police showed up and the group dispersed.  The issue is the removal of the Robert E. Lee statue in the park,

While yammering on and on at the Liberty University commencement address yesterday, Pres Orange Slime Thing dropped this little nugget of gooiness:

(talking about form Liberty U CFO) He stood up for his family and he defended civilization against a tide of barbarity, the kind of barbarity we're seeing today and we've been witnessing over the last number of years and I just want to tell you as your president, we are doing very, very well in countering it, so you just hang in there. Things are going along very, very well. You'll be hearing a lot about it next week from our generals Things are going along very, very well.

????

Transcript found here.   http://time.com/4778240/donald-trump-liberty-university-speech-transcript/

15 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Good stuff. I'm on part 2 right now. Thanks for posting.

We haven't got part 2 yet -- presumably later this week?

18 minutes ago, Zorral said:

We haven't got part 2 yet -- presumably later this week?

The second half of this one was titled as Part 2 on You Tube, but I'm not sure it's truly meant to be a true part 2. It mostly centers on Lev Liviev, the so called "King of Diamonds" who is mostly linked to the Kushner family. It wasn't nearly as good a segment as Part one.

Part 2 starts at about 46 minutes...

2 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

So this happened in Charlottesville, Virginia last night.  A 'candlelight march' according to  white supremacist Richard Spencer who attended.  Plus chants of “You will not replace us,” “Russia is our friend” and “Blood and soil.”  The local police showed up and the group dispersed.  The issue is the removal of the Robert E. Lee statue in the park,

Neo-confed / secessionist Pootinists -- we always knew that the slaveocracy /sesesh / confeds were nothing more than thugs and gangsters.

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

The second half of this one was titled as Part 2 on You Tube, but I'm not sure it's truly meant to be a true part 2. It mostly centers on Lev Liviev, the so called "King of Diamonds" who is mostly linked to the Kushner family. It wasn't nearly as good a segment as Part one.

Part 2 starts at about 46 minutes...

Thanks!  We watched the first part, including the promo for King of Diamonds and it was over.  Will certainly check it out.

14 hours ago, Zorral said:

Yay!  Get the info out there everywhere!

So I have a question about this.  Do you really think this will make a difference, and if so, how so?  I'm not trolling here, but really wondering.  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

So I have a question about this.  Do you really think this will make a difference, and if so, how so?  I'm not trolling here, but really wondering.  Thanks.

Don't want to speak for Zorral here, but from my perspective it's all about broadening my education in regards to Russian politics and the inextricable link to organized crime. This video led me down the Pooty-Poot rabbit hole. I have to admit that I was really behind on his bio and the details in and around his rise to power. There are so many parallels to draw between the sort of actions Putin took once he began to play at politics and to what Trump is doing. On top of all that, I enjoy watching old school investigative journalism at work. Part one of the video that Zorral posted is a really good example of this, as well as being quite entertaining. 

For any who are interested in the Pooty-Poot profile, here it is. Pretty solid video in kind of a Frontline sort of style.

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Don't want to speak for Zorral here, but from my perspective it's all about broadening my education in regards to Russian politics and the inextricable link to organized crime. This video led me down the Pooty-Poot rabbit hole. I have to admit that I was really behind on his bio and the details in and around his rise to power.  There are so many parallels to draw between the sort of actions Putin took once he began to play at politics and to what Trump is doing.

OK, educating oneself on the Russian and the organized crime aspect makes sense.  The bolded part though, not that is interesting.  Appreciate the feedback. 

This happened this morning.  Clapper says

"I think, in many ways, our institutions are under assault, both externally -- and that's the big news here, is the Russian interference in our election system," Clapper said. "I think as well our institutions are under assault internally."

When he was asked, "Internally, from the president?" Clapper said, "Exactly."

Random little insignificant nugget of optimism of the day: Today, Trump's disapproval rating reached its highest point ever over at poll aggregator RealClearPolitics. While his approval rating has been a bit lower, it's still interesting to watch how the shit-gibbon's ability to garner people's disapproval remains as strong and untempered as ever.

37 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

OK, educating oneself on the Russian and the organized crime aspect makes sense.  The bolded part though, not that is interesting.  Appreciate the feedback. 

You both are on the money.  The first part, which is all I've watched so far, but will get to King of Diamonds either tonight or tomorrow, spends a lot of time with not only Dutch investigations, but round ups of how far back the FBI investigations go for these Russian associates of the inhabitant of the oval office -- very far indeed, at least into the 1980's.  His close ties really pick up after 2000, and that series of backruptcies, after which US banks and financiers would not loan to him or give him credit.  Now, Imagine how much info about all this was available to Comey . . . .

Beyond that too, in light of the comment here about the protesters in Charlottesville, VA  last night, including chants of "Russia is our friend" -- think what this signifies, even beyond that they are homicidal gangsters, thieves and thugs --  that they see this regime's affiliation with Putin, Russia and all those white supremacists as a good thing for our nation.

Charlottesville, VA is the town of the founding father of white supremacy, Thomas Jefferson. Organized crime -- global organized crime -- is part of all politics now, and joined at the hip with white supremacy.  This is very bad for everyone and all living things, including our planet.  This is the kind of workings of a failed state.

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Beyond that too, in light of the comment here about the protesters in Charlottesville, VA  last night, including chants of "Russia is our friend" -- think what this signifies, even beyond that they are homicidal gangsters, thieves and thugs --  that they see this regime's affiliation with Putin, Russia and all those white supremacists as a good thing for our nation.

I thought the 'Russia is our friend' chant was pretty weird, this puts it in perspective. 

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Charlottesville, VA is the town of the founding father of white supremacy, Thomas Jefferson. Organized crime -- global organized crime -- is part of all politics now, and joined at the hip with white supremacy.  This is very bad for everyone and all living things, including our planet.  This is the kind of workings of a failed state.

Hmmmmm, now this is not an idea I've not thought of before being a person who doesn't think about organized crime much.  Makes sense tho.   Appreciate your feedback, even though it's pretty dark.   :frown5:

Archived