U.S. Politics: Moscow on the Potomac

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

A fucking moron who thinks he's brilliant. Perhaps the most dangerous kind of fucking moron.

I wish I had said that.  No matter how low my estimation is of Trump, he keeps plumbing new depths. 

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

No specific details but here is a line in there saying it's much worse.

So, what ya think?  Think the Russians asked Trump to turn off the tape?  heh heh

16 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

So, what ya think?  Think the Russians asked Trump to turn off the tape?  heh heh

Hah maybe...

Really though, it wasn't malicious, it was idiotic. He was likely bragging about how important he is and how much intel he gets and just kept talking with no understanding of what he was saying. He was trying to impresss them like a good source.

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

Hah maybe...

Really though, it wasn't malicious, it was idiotic. He wasn't likely bragging about how important he is and how much intel he gets and just kept talking with no understanding of what he was saying. He was trying to impresss them like a good source.

That certainly is a possibility.  But being this was what, the day after the Comey firing?  It would be delicious if he taped the Russians too!  turn over the tapes!   :commie:

10 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

That certainly is a possibility.  But being this was what, the day after the Comey firing?  It would be delicious if he taped the Russians too!  turn over the tapes!   :commie:

Yea but McMaster was in the room.

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Yea but McMaster was in the room.

While I think the tapes have a high possibility of being bullshit, what if they are not and Trump the baby man paranoid would tape McMaster and the Russians anyway?   Aw shit, fun to speculate, but I don't see a good chance of really finding out if any tapes actually exist. 

20 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

While I think the tapes have a high possibility of being bullshit, what if they are not and Trump the baby man paranoid would tape McMaster and the Russians anyway?   Aw shit, fun to speculate, but I don't see a good chance of really finding out if any tapes actually exist. 

If they do exist,  will there be a strange 17 minute gap?

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

It is incredible for me to think about how fast Obama would have been impeached if he had done this.

The situation would have been tooooootally different!

7 hours ago, Kalbear said:

It is incredible for me to think about how fast Obama would have been impeached if he had done this.

Isn't the President the one who ultimately determines what's classified? If that's the case presumably he can pretty much reveal what he wants without it being illegal. Not that I think this was some sort of considered decision on Trump's part.

23 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Isn't the President the one who ultimately determines what's classified? If that's the case presumably he can pretty much reveal what he wants without it being illegal. Not that I think this was some sort of considered decision on Trump's part.

Yes. It's not illegal just like firing Comey isn't illegal. That doesn't make it right. This was code word level intelligence, the highest level of classification and he's just throwing it out to a foreign adversary who inserted themselves into our democratic election process. It's wrong and should be impeachable even if technically not illegal. 

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Kalbear posted a very good article explaining the nuances of the situation, including vis a vis grounds for impeachment, earlier. Here 'tis again: https://lawfareblog.com/bombshell-initial-thoughts-washington-posts-game-changing-story the tl;dr version with respect to impeachment is that just because the President can legally declassify information doesn't mean that the he can't be impeached because he very well might have violated his oath of office. (*note: in the coming weeks this article may end up being out of date as new information comes to light.)

Archived