U.S. Politics: Moscow on the Potomac

Today in, “when libertarianism loses its utter fucking mind”:

http://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2017/05/01/rep-paul-mosley-on-lawmaker-cousins-and-repealing-compulsory-education/

The number one thing I would like to repeal is the law on compulsory education..........Because education used to be a privilege. People used to believe getting an education was something you had to be privileged to get, that you had to work hard to get...........................I believe education is still a privilege, and the kids who don’t want to be there are a larger distraction to the kids who do want to be there..........................What happened to the personal responsibility of a parent to feed and educate their kids?

Well, let’s see: more uneducated kids. More poor people for Republicans to disdain. I guess I see how that works.

Also Today In "When Free Market Fundamentalism Goes Badly":

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/28/us/politics/school-choice-betsy-devos.html

WASHINGTON — For more than a decade, House Republicans led by the former Speaker John A. Boehner have used school children in the nation’s capital as an experiment for school choice, funding a far-reaching voucher program to send poor children to private schools over the opposition of local teachers and unions.

Now, with Betsy DeVos, one of the country’s fiercest advocates of school choice, installed as education secretary, that experiment is poised to go national. But Ms. DeVos’s own department this week rendered judgment on the Washington school choice program: It has not improved student achievement, and it may have worsened it.

Ms. DeVos, a billionaire, has advocated school choice expansion for decades in her home state, Michigan. As education secretary, she has praised a longstanding tax credit that funds vouchers in Florida and a recent expansion of vouchers in Arizona.

Now why in the world, do I imagine that someday will have private schools run by (Sc)Amway?. I can just see it now, private school that gets students using “Multi Level Marketing” ie euphemism for "Pyramid Scheme".

Debunking conservative dipshittery, monetary policy edition:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-15/fed-officials-test-new-argument-for-tightening-protect-the-poor

To protect the poorest Americans, should central bankers raise interest rates faster?

At least one of them is making that argument. During a speech last month, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City President Esther George said she was “not as enthusiastic or encouraged as some when I see inflation moving higher” because “inflation is a tax and those least able to afford it generally suffer the most.”

In a recent study, Coibion and his co-authors found that over the period from 1980 to 2008, the inflation-as-regressive-tax argument was swamped by other benefits of accommodative monetary policy that pushed in the opposite direction, leading to a conclusion somewhat at odds with the Romers’ findings.

“Contractionary monetary policy systematically increases inequality in labor earnings, total income, consumption and total expenditures,” he and his co-authors wrote. One notable episode was the early 1980s tightening directed by then-Fed Chairman Paul Volcker, which in seeking to bring down high inflation ended in a severe recession and accounted for “much of the dynamics in inequality” in that decade.

Another recent study published by the Fed itself came to a similar conclusion, but went even further. For “a majority of households” in the study’s model of the economy, the benefits of a monetary policy strategy that focuses more on employment outweigh the associated costs that come in the form of higher and more volatile inflation.

The biggest threat the Fed faces in Congress is from conservative politicians who have for several years criticized it for holding rates near zero and would like to pass legislation that would amount to greater scrutiny of its policy decisions.

Well between overly tight monetary policy and uneducated kids that’s just a lot more people for Republicans to lecture about “hard work” too. Given your average Republicans utility function, I guess that is a rational decision from their perspective, even though it fucks over everyone else.

When Republicans say, “who little ol’ us? We had nothing to do with ACA’s problems.” Uh yeah, okay:

http://www.cbpp.org/blog/as-rate-filing-season-begins-sabotage-is-taking-its-toll-on-the-aca-marketplaces

We’ve written about how the Affordable Care Act (ACA) marketplaces are poised for greater stability and success going forward, but they’re also vulnerable to sabotage by policymakers.  Over the past few weeks, both of these points have become increasingly clear.

And finally, I do not really care if Stephen Moore doesn't have a PHD:

13 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

More recently, when four economists who advised Trump during the campaign — Steve Forbes, Larry Kudlow, Arthur Laffer and Stephen Moore — wrote in a New York Times op-ed that “now is the time to move it forward with urgency,” someone in the White House flagged the piece for the president. [Fact checking note: Neither Steve Forbes nor Larry Kudlow are trained economists, and Stephen Moore only has as master's.]

I don't care if Stephen Moore only has a master's degree.

I don't care what if Moore went to Moron St. U or if he didn't go to school.
I don't care if Moore majored in underwater basket weaving.
I don't care if Moore spent all of his time during school doing bong hits, drinking 2 dollar pitchers of beer, and playing video games,billiards or engaging in games of grab ass.
People with PHD's have said some stupid things. Thomas Sowell has said a lot of stupid stuff. U of Chicago's, John Cochrane has said some really dumb things. And we all know Art Laffer is a flamin idiot.
What I do care about is if Moore can present a sensible model of how things might work. And if the empirical evidence seems to contradict that model, whether he is willing and able to revise that model. That's all I care about. 

And Moore has been massively wrong about things and will not change. Instead of saying:
"When the facts change, I change my mind, what do you do sir?"

Moore does:
We're gonna do it, like Ronnie did it!!

And that's his main problem, not his lack of PHD qualification.

1 hour ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Kalbear posted a very good article explaining the nuances of the situation, including vis a vis grounds for impeachment, earlier. Here 'tis again: https://lawfareblog.com/bombshell-initial-thoughts-washington-posts-game-changing-story 

The linked article makes this point which stood out to me: 

This approach to sensitive information does not appear to be a one-off. President Trump has previously taken heat for his cavalier attitude towards safeguarding classified information, for example when he openly reviewed plans related to a North Korean nuclear test in the Mar-a-Lago dining room in full view of other diners or when he appeared to inadvertently confirm the authenticity of leaked CIA documents on Fox News.

So the idea of keeping classified material secret seems to be a problem with Trump according to this.  Plus the article notes;

Consider Israeli media reports from shortly before the inauguration that “Israeli intelligence officials [were] concerned that the exposure of classified information to their American counterparts under a Trump administration could lead to their being leaked to Russia and onward to Iran.”

So our allies who have shared intelligence with us are looking at this and....what?  Deciding that the USA can't be trusted with sensitive info because Prez Orange "I'm smarter than the generals" Thingy can't keep his piehole shut?  Plus, what are the Russians going to do with this little info dump Trump passed on to them? 

:bang:

edt; the Russian press were there, were they recording the meeting?  Were they photographing every inch of the Oval Office?  ffs, how would we know that did or didn't happen?

15 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Donald Trump says he doesn't drink. But, I have to wonder if he did drink on the job, whether it would make much of a difference.

I don't drink but holy guacamole, I may have to take up the grape again.

44 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

http://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2017/05/01/rep-paul-mosley-on-lawmaker-cousins-and-repealing-compulsory-education/

The number one thing I would like to repeal is the law on compulsory education..........Because education used to be a privilege. People used to believe getting an education was something you had to be privileged to get, that you had to work hard to get...........................

However much was paid for this asshole's education was money thrown away into a ditch.  Jebus H. KeeRist what a stupid, stupid man.

2 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Just confirmed what?

The first two are better composed than most of his tweets; I suspect he didn't write them himself. The third one though, that's his contribution.

7 minutes ago, Fez said:

The first two are better composed than most of his tweets; I suspect he didn't write them himself. The third one though, that's his contribution.

Thanks.  So now what do McMasters do?  You know, since he said that what alleged happened didn't happen and Trump just threw him under the bus? 

A shot of  tequila and a nice cold cerveza are sounding really good right about now.   edt; and it's  6:08am here,   LOL

Just now, Nasty LongRider said:

I don't drink but holy guacamole, I may have to take up the grape again.

LOL.

Yeah, I rarely partake. But, if Trump keeps up with the nonsense, I might have to start hitting the sauce hard. 

11 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Thanks.  So now what do McMasters do?  You know, since he said that what alleged happened didn't happen and Trump just threw him under the bus? 

I think McMasters was ready for this, which is why his statement wasn't really a denial. He denied that Trump discussed sources or methodology, but no one actually claimed that he did that. Plus he threw in that "as reported" qualifier into his statement.

It was Dina Powell who issued a blanket denial after McMasters spoke.

13 minutes ago, Fez said:

I think McMasters was ready for this, which is why his statement wasn't really a denial. He denied that Trump discussed sources or methodology, but no one actually claimed that he did that. Plus he threw in that "as reported" qualifier into his statement.

It was Dina Powell who issued a blanket denial after McMasters spoke.

Yeah, even before Trump's statement a lot of people were taking McMaster's comment as actually confirmation of the Post story, since he was careful not to deny the actual facts reported in WaPo. 

So let me get this straight.  Trump admits to leaking classified information.  Then he says all he ever wanted was for the intel community to find the leakers.  Did he fire Comey because Comey didn't figure out that Trump is the big fat leaker?

55 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Donald Trump says he doesn't drink. But, I have to wonder if he did drink on the job, whether it would make much of a difference.

Never trust a man who swears he is a teetotaler, yet has his name on a bottle of vodka.

That should have clued everyone in right there.

18 hours ago, Zorral said:

Some are suggesting the small handies is exhibiting the signals indicating Alzheimer's onset:

http://www.alternet.org/personal-health/video-suggests-trump-suffering-alzheimers 

It certainly runs in the family history, including both his grandfather and father. 

He's the oldest to inhabit the Oval, ascending to his reign at age 70.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/15/donald-trump-fake-news-238379 

Also -- his staff puts fake news on his desk, and he believes it. 

For ex: 

Oh. come on. How can anybody take seriously an article that quotes Kyle Turley as if he were some expert on Alzheimer's.

I still think we are very far from having evidence that Trump's present condition is a deterioration from his previous state to any degree that is beyond normal aging. From what I've read about him. he's shown "moodiness, paranoia, belligerence and erratic behavior" his entire life, so in his case to attribute those aspects of his personality to a new "dementia" is silly.

If someone actually scientifically compares Trump's speech during the last few years with speeches when he was younger, and shows there has been a major change that might indicate a deterioration in language, that would be good evidence. But at the moment this is just impressionistic speculation.

44 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

So let me get this straight.  Trump admits to leaking classified information.  Then he says all he ever wanted was for the intel community to find the leakers.  Did he fire Comey because Comey didn't figure out that Trump is the big fat leaker?

See, here's the thing. Trump's entire life has been based on the philosophy of 'it isn't wrong if I do it'. It just so happens that this time, because he's President, he's technically correct. It isn't leaking if the POTUS decides just to go ahead and give away classfied info. It may be monumentally stupid and negligent, but it's not leaking.

In this respect (and no other) Trump has tremendous experience of what it means to be President: he's had people employed to clean up his messes and let him walk away scot-free for his entire life. He's used to being able to fuck up freely.

It does indeed confirm that the big fat leaker is himself.

BTW the stories coming out from White House staffers about yesterday is that the tantrums coming out his office were so loud, intense and prolonged they were heard everywhere all day. 

56 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Oh. come on. How can anybody take seriously an article that quotes Kyle Turley as if he were some expert on Alzheimer's.

I still think we are very far from having evidence that Trump's present condition is a deterioration from his previous state to any degree that is beyond normal aging. From what I've read about him. he's shown "moodiness, paranoia, belligerence and erratic behavior" his entire life, so in his case to attribute those aspects of his personality to a new "dementia" is silly.

If someone actually scientifically compares Trump's speech during the last few years with speeches when he was younger, and shows there has been a major change that might indicate a deterioration in language, that would be good evidence. But at the moment this is just impressionistic speculation.

Yeah.  He is the same as he ever was.  Impulsive.  Likes adoration and the spotlight.  Belligerent.  Blowhard.  Holds grudges.  Does whatever he wants to do at any moment and may or may not notice when he contradicts himself in the space of hours or days.  Remember what George said, it's not a lie if you believe it.

Archived