More Dunk & Egg stories

lwhitehead

I hope GRRM does many more Dunk and Egg novels, all three have been great. Maybe one where Dunk as a Kingsguard accompanies Bloodraven to the Wall after Egg sends him there for breaking Guess Right for killing a Blackfyre he invited to King's Landing. The conversations Dunk could have with Bloodraven would be great. 

4 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

I hope GRRM does many more Dunk and Egg novels, all three have been great. Maybe one where Dunk as a Kingsguard accompanies Bloodraven to the Wall after Egg sends him there for breaking Guess Right for killing a Blackfyre he invited to King's Landing. The conversations Dunk could have with Bloodraven would be great. 

I don't think the conversations would be very interesting. As a pretty dense person Dunk would probably not make for a very good partner to converse with Bloodraven. Better then to have some other person with more wit or interesting, or different, perspective talk with Bloodraven. For example conversations between Breakspear and Bloodraven would in my mind have lots of promise.

47 minutes ago, The Mountain That Flies said:

Is there anything confirmed for the release of "The She-Wolves of Winter"? My understanding is that is still the next D&E story set to be released.

Nope. He says, first "Winds", then we'll talk Dunk & Egg.

(By the way, the first Dunk & Egg novella has been published in 1998. Now, nineteen years later, there are as many as three. And the author is afraid that "there were going to be too many of them" for just one big book. He sounds serious, but...)

1 hour ago, LionoftheWest said:

I don't think the conversations would be very interesting. As a pretty dense person Dunk would probably not make for a very good partner to converse with Bloodraven. Better then to have some other person with more wit or interesting, or different, perspective talk with Bloodraven. For example conversations between Breakspear and Bloodraven would in my mind have lots of promise.

Too bad Baelor died in the first Dunk & Egg story...

1 hour ago, LionoftheWest said:

Hey.. don't be so hard on Dunk. He had some good dialogue with Lady Webber. Plus, he'd be older and perhaps wiser.. Okay.. maybe not. I dunno...

All kidding aside. The conversation could still be very interesting, because of Dunk's obduracy. I think it would be a conversation about duty. Not that Bloodraven would necessarily know about it, but Dunk chased off Ser Eustace Osgrey's smallfolk at the end of The Sworn Sword. And that act could be compared to Bloodraven's execution of the Blackfyre. 

Anyway.. as to the OP..

I thought I heard somewhere that there was a whole extra story written about Dunk and Egg in Dorne. Particularly covering the who Lady Vaith debaucle.

1 hour ago, bilplat said:

Too bad Baelor died in the first Dunk & Egg story...

True that. The best would probably be a flashback as retold by Maekar to Dunk and Egg.

40 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

Hey.. don't be so hard on Dunk. He had some good dialogue with Lady Webber. Plus, he'd be older and perhaps wiser.. Okay.. maybe not. I dunno...

All kidding aside. The conversation could still be very interesting, because of Dunk's obduracy. I think it would be a conversation about duty. Not that Bloodraven would necessarily know about it, but Dunk chased off Ser Eustace Osgrey's smallfolk at the end of The Sworn Sword. And that act could be compared to Bloodraven's execution of the Blackfyre. 

Anyway.. as to the OP..

I thought I heard somewhere that there was a whole extra story written about Dunk and Egg in Dorne. Particularly covering the who Lady Vaith debaucle.

In all honestly I've forgotten much of Dunk's dialogue but while it could certainly be entertaining for some reason I think he'd leave us with some good lines, but not the kind of interesting discussions like Tyrion-Tywin, Davos- Stannis or the like.

45 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

Anyway.. as to the OP..

I must be missing something. What Dunk did to the Osgrey's smallfolk essentially saved their lives. Otherwise Osgrey, Bennis, and the smallfolk would have been slaughtered by Lady Rohanne's forces. On the other hand, Bloodraven offered safe passage to Aenys, then beheaded him when he arrived, then argued that he had sacrificed his honor to safeguard the realm. How can you compare them?

2 hours ago, LionoftheWest said:

Dunk is hard on himself; he has a very low opinion of his own intellect, but he's not actually stupid. He very deftly intuits when things aren't what they seem, and is quick to come to largely correct conclusions. He's a good deal smarter than, for example, any of the Stark kids.

3 minutes ago, Damon_Tor said:

Dunk is hard on himself; he has a very low opinion of his own intellect, but he's not actually stupid. He very deftly intuits when things aren't what they seem, and is quick to come to largely correct conclusions. He's a good deal smarter than, for example, any of the Stark kids.

Dunk's definitely not "book smart," but growing up in the streets of King's Landing makes him quite "street smart."

7 minutes ago, bilplat said:

Dunk's definitely not "book smart," but growing up in the streets of King's Landing makes him quite "street smart."

Well he's illiterate, so... yeah? I guess? Seems like an artificial distinction to me.

1 minute ago, Damon_Tor said:

Well he's illiterate, so... yeah? I guess? Seems like an artificial distinction to me.

Wasn't trying to get technical. Have you heard those colloquial terms I quoted? In any case, they're more suited to today's mostly-literate society than the largely illiterate medieval society.

8 hours ago, The Mountain That Flies said:

Is there anything confirmed for the release of "The She-Wolves of Winter"? My understanding is that is still the next D&E story set to be released.

It's the one he's been talking about the Longest (and that's apparently not going to be the title when it does come out) but in one blogpost he suggested he might finish The Village Hero first. Which is weird because you'd think he'd release them chronologically. So I suspect he's early enough in the process of writing She-Wolves that he thinks he could alter the timeline if he got inspired to write The Village Hero. It's set in the Riverlands and could probably take place either on the way up to Winterfell or on the way back. 

Of course as mentioned above he's rightly focusing on Winds of Winter right now. 

I'm pretty sure Dunk is going to learn a thing or two from Bloodraven about politics. I think I'm repeating myself here, but there is only one candidate for Aegon V's Hand, and he will most likely serve for the entire reign of his king - Ser Duncan the Tall. Dunk might be Hand of the King even before he becomes Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

And the man drafting and enforcing Aegon V's many reforms might not be His Grace himself, but the man at his side. Dunk is the one who is the real commoner. He knows what the people need who are the worst off in the Targaryen kingdom. He will add the substance to Egg's pipe dream of a better world for everyone.

Not only Egg but Dunk, too, is only at the beginning of his career in the stories we have read so far. And Dunk as not going to rise as high as we know he will rise just because he is best friends with a royal prince and eventually at least two kings. He is not going to be a sycophant or lickspittle. He will rise to high office because he will be capable. Just as Septon Barth. Just as Davos will be. Dunk may never be as much a genius as Barth but he will be very capable. He is not going to resolve every problem he is going to face with his fists or some single combat. He will learn to use his head in a much more productive manner.

Dunk might still hear Ser Arlan chiding him as 'Dunk the lunk, thick as a castle wall' when Summerhall is burning around him, but he won't be thick as a castle by that time. Not by far. 

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I'm pretty sure Dunk is going to learn a thing or two from Bloodraven about politics. I think I'm repeating myself here, but there is only one candidate for Aegon V's Hand, and he will most likely serve for the entire reign of his king - Ser Duncan the Tall. Dunk might be Hand of the King even before he becomes Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

And the man drafting and enforcing Aegon V's many reforms might not be His Grace himself, but the man at his side. Dunk is the one who is the real commoner. He knows what the people need who are the worst off in the Targaryen kingdom. He will add the substance to Egg's pipe dream of a better world for everyone.

Not only Egg but Dunk, too, is only at the beginning of his career in the stories we have read so far. And Dunk as not going to rise as high as we know he will rise just because he is best friends with a royal prince and eventually at least two kings. He is not going to be a sycophant or lickspittle. He will rise to high office because he will be capable. Just as Septon Barth. Just as Davos will be. Dunk may never be as much a genius as Barth but he will be very capable. He is not going to resolve every problem he is going to face with his fists or some single combat. He will learn to use his head in a much more productive manner.

Dunk might still hear Ser Arlan chiding him as 'Dunk the lunk, thick as a castle wall' when Summerhall is burning around him, but he won't be thick as a castle by that time. Not by far. 

I really like your thoughts on this, especially the last paragraph, but I'm doubting that Dunk will be revealed to have served as Aegon V's Hand. As he's already on the king's council in his role as the Lord Commander, I don't see a need for Aegon V to make Dunk his Hand.

As I'm typing, though, I wouldn't be surprised if Aegon did it anyways. Something along the lines of revealing Dunk's origin as a Flea Bottom dweller to the small folk as he puts the chain of office around Dunk's neck. 

20 hours ago, LionoftheWest said:

Well I'm hoping by the time Dunk becomes a Kingsguard his personality and intelligence will improve with his jousting ability. I think Maester Aemon goes with Bloodraven and Dunk to the Wall on that same trip maybe Dunk can be there to witness their conversations. I'm more interested in what Bloodraven would have to say about his time as hand and everything else.

8 hours ago, bilplat said:

I really like your thoughts on this, especially the last paragraph, but I'm doubting that Dunk will be revealed to have served as Aegon V's Hand. As he's already on the king's council in his role as the Lord Commander, I don't see a need for Aegon V to make Dunk his Hand.

Two Lord Commanders of the Kingsguard were Hands - Ser Ryam Redwyne and Ser Criston Cole. There is no reason that Dunk could not also hold both offices at the same time, or even serve as Hand before he is named Lord Commander (although that might be more problematic).

Also keep in mind how many kings made their best buddies their Hands, beginning with the Conqueror and Orys Baratheon, continuing with Jaehaerys I and Barth, Aerys II and Tywin, Robert and Jon Arryn/Eddard Stark. The only pattern that is even stronger is giving close family relations the office (Aenys I-Maegor, Jaehaerys I-Baelon, Viserys I/Aegon II-Otto Hightower, Aegon III and sons-Viserys, Daeron II-Baelor, etc.).

If you ask yourself who Egg is likely to trust the most to help him realize the visions he has for the future of his kingdom it is Dunk, not somebody else. If Egg ended up naming a different Hand then he would begin to compromise even before his reforms began. That is not all that likely.

And as things stand Dunk might even marry into the royal family before he joins the Kingsguard. It is not all that unlikely that he is going to marry one of Egg's sisters, most likely Princess Daella, the sister Egg was supposed to marry.

The versions of Dunk and Egg we know from the three stories are not the same people that are going to be involved in the Third Blackfyre Rebellion. And they also won't be the same people throughout the reign of King Maekar. And both are going to change even more in the years after 233 AC when they arrive at the very center of power.

Archived