More Dunk & Egg stories

lwhitehead

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Two Lord Commanders of the Kingsguard were Hands - Ser Ryam Redwyne and Ser Criston Cole. There is no reason that Dunk could not also hold both offices at the same time, or even serve as Hand before he is named Lord Commander (although that might be more problematic).

Also keep in mind how many kings made their best buddies their Hands, beginning with the Conqueror and Orys Baratheon, continuing with Jaehaerys I and Barth, Aerys II and Tywin, Robert and Jon Arryn/Eddard Stark. The only pattern that is even stronger is giving close family relations the office (Aenys I-Maegor, Jaehaerys I-Baelon, Viserys I/Aegon II-Otto Hightower, Aegon III and sons-Viserys, Daeron II-Baelor, etc.).

If you ask yourself who Egg is likely to trust the most to help him realize the visions he has for the future of his kingdom it is Dunk, not somebody else. If Egg ended up naming a different Hand then he would begin to compromise even before his reforms began. That is not all that likely.

And as things stand Dunk might even marry into the royal family before he joins the Kingsguard. It is not all that unlikely that he is going to marry one of Egg's sisters, most likely Princess Daella, the sister Egg was supposed to marry.

The versions of Dunk and Egg we know from the three stories are not the same people that are going to be involved in the Third Blackfyre Rebellion. And they also won't be the same people throughout the reign of King Maekar. And both are going to change even more in the years after 233 AC when they arrive at the very center of power.

Thanks for the history lesson (that might come off as sarcastic, but I assure you, its not). I hadn't realized there were examples of Lord Commanders who served as Hands. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. The Hand is second in power only to the King, so Aegon V would definitely only place his most trusted friend/advisor/protector in that position.

I love to hear all this speculation and can't wait to read about the development of these characters. It intrigues me to think about the implications of Dunk getting married before he joins the Kingsguard. I expect we're sure to find out (that is, if GRRM ever finishes...).

• 8 months later...

Archived