Video Games- Mess Effect: Andromeda

A True Kaniggit

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but earlier this year they were still quietly giving out free upgrades. I finally took the plunge a few months ago and had no problems. However I reformatted and installed on a blank drive because that's how I was always taught to do OS upgrades. 

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/242419-windows-10-free-upgrades-still-unofficially-available

Thanks. Maaaaaaaaybe I'll do it? I would really rather stay on 8.1 and not be artificially locked out of fun games.

3 hours ago, Inigima said:

Thanks. Maaaaaaaaybe I'll do it? I would really rather stay on 8.1 and not be artificially locked out of fun games.

Seriously and truly - you should do it because it's super important to get more security updates (Win10 is absurdly more secure), and because the better games and whatnot will be on it.

If you have ANY problems at all, let me know and I'll help. 

22 hours ago, Melphis_Amekia said:

So, Life is Strange 3-episode prequel called Life is Strange Before the Storm was announced, HYPE! For those who buy the Deluxe Edition, you get a special Max episode from waaaaay before the events of the game too. It's developed at an external studio from DONTNOD while DONTNOD itself is making the next full Life is Strange game.

So you have a prequel, in which we already know everything that's happened as it was often fleshed out in previous conversations.

With Chloe being voiced by somebody other than Ashly Burch

And it's made by a different studio

Hmmmm

2 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

So you have a prequel, in which we already know everything that's happened as it was often fleshed out in previous conversations.

With Chloe being voiced by somebody other than Ashly Burch

And it's made by a different studio

Hmmmm

I hadn't seen it wasn't Ashly doing the voice work, there goes any slight interest in this. Even with Chloe surviving in my play through that story is far too painful to want to see for me.

11 hours ago, karaddin said:

I hadn't seen it wasn't Ashly doing the voice work, there goes any slight interest in this. Even with Chloe surviving in my play through that story is far too painful to want to see for me.

http://lifeisstrange-blog.tumblr.com/post/161712261945/announcing-life-is-strange-before-the-storm

You will also no doubt be excited to hear that Ashly Burch, Chloe’s original voice actor, makes a welcome return to the family this time on writing duties. Fans of Ashly will know she’s an Emmy nominated writer and it’s great to have her writing dialogue for a new younger, 16 year old Chloe, this time voiced by extremely talented actress Rhianna DeVries.

New Kirby game as well that looks like the follow up to Kirby 64 I always wanted. And I heard they teased a main console Pokemon RPG finally (I seriously don't understand why they didn't do this years ago). I guess I'll have to get a Switch at some point. 

As someone who bought a Switch about a month and a half ago, I have no regrets. Zelda: BOTW is one of the best games I've ever played; though I'm close to the end now, I can see it being one of those games I constantly replay, just because it's pure fun to explore the world and experiment in it (a nice contrast to ME: Andromeda, which I did like, but whose open world was rarely that enjoyable to explore). Mario Kart Deluxe is also an excellent Mario Kart game, though I've been so busy with Zelda that I haven't given much time to it yet.

And now I am really excited and happy I got this console. A new Metroid Prime game coming, a Pokemon game, Rocket League for the Switch, and a completely bonkers looking ridiculous Mario game. Nintendo looks like they're on fire this year, especially after the Wii U's pretty uninspiring lineup. And that's not to mention Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2... Too  many cool looking games, too little money and time.

I'm hoping they'll bring some more of the WiiU library to the Switch (especially Bayonetta 2) cause I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube and I wouldn't mind playing some of the back catalog. 

2 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

I'm hoping they'll bring some more of the WiiU library to the Switch (especially Bayonetta 2) cause I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube and I wouldn't mind playing some of the back catalog. 

I would love that too. I did have a Wii but not a Wii U, and it would be a nice chance to get to play some of the great games that did come out on the Wii U. It would also be smart for Nintendo, given how few people bought the Wii U; an easy way of making money off of old games when there's a lull in their software lineup.

Skyrim for the Switch is also a fun idea. I think I would enjoy playing it in portable mode, but at this point I've put so many hours into Skyrim that I couldn't justify buying it again. And if I do play it again, it might as well be on PC with mods.

Drew Karpyshyn (lead writer on KOTOR, Jade Empire & Mass Effect 1+2) confirmed that he's working on Anthem. Feeling a bit better about the game's potential now. At least story-wise. 

Speaking of WWII strategy games, anyone ever play Hearts of Iron IV? It's now been a year since it game out and is now down to $20 and I am considering buying it. Yay or Nay?

Edet: Oh. And in current video game news I've started a new play through of Kerbals for the first time in months. Things are going great so far except for the setback that just happened. During my second landing mission to Minmus I misjudged how much fuel I'd need to escape its gravitational pull and get back to Kerbin. So now I have three Kerbals stranded on that moon until I can send a rescue mission. At least they're better off than Matt Damon was. They have company.

Hearts of Iron IV, from what I now, is still currently a bit of a mess of a game. It's not exactly *strategy* game as much as it is *grand strategy*, which is something very different, but they apparently streamlined things perhaps too much from Hearts of Iron III. Honestly, if you want to try a grand strategy, you would be better of trying Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis IV or Stellaris.

40 minutes ago, Melphis_Amekia said:

Hearts of Iron IV, from what I now, is still currently a bit of a mess of a game. It's not exactly *strategy* game as much as it is *grand strategy*, which is something very different, but they apparently streamlined things perhaps too much from Hearts of Iron III. Honestly, if you want to try a grand strategy, you would be better of trying Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis IV or Stellaris.

That's disappointing to hear. I was actually hoping for high praise so I could convince myself to buy it. Maybe later after a few more patches.

I actually play the other three games you mentioned. However, I consider Stellaris broken in its current form, and I refuse to go back to a previous version. So I can't play that until the game is fixed.

EU IV is fun when you're playing dominant nations, but I usually like to take a weak nation and make it strong. In it's current mode this is next to impossible. Within the last month I started a play through as Hesse and tried to form Germany. With an army of 60,000 and better generals I repeatedly fought against Austria's army of 35,000 and got crushed. My losses in the 40,000+ range and their losses around 8,000

Crusader Kings II is usually fun, but I've recently ran into an issue where my overlord will repeatedly demand that I give up a territory immediately after I win the war from the last time they demanded it. Not sure when this bug got into the game, but until it's fixed I can't get anything accomplished. 

18 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I wanna have a WWI or WWII strategy game so bad!!! I needs it, give it to me!!!

Meanwhile, that Ubisoft pirate game looks like it's almost going to be awesome but get Ubisofted into crap.

I actually enjoyed R.U.S.E. But I didn't get too far through it before other games distracted me away.

My desperate need for a WW1 total war is basically becoming an obsession. 

I've already figured out that airplanes and subs can work just like spies or champions! The sub lifts a small portion of the fog of war and can plunder trade routes or sabotage fleets, increasing population unrest. 

Planes can go a limited distance from your nearest province with an airport and provide info on city or army makeup. The more you research the tech, the more you reveal. And if the game let's you progress through and past the 20s eventually the planes can sabotage cities and armies via bombing.

Downers will point to the incompatibility of TW battle mechanics with trench warfare but that's the most boring aspect of ww1 and easy to work around. Don't make armies need a general and give huge moral and deployment bonuses to flanking attackers, thereby increasing incentive for lots of four or five division stacks spread out with their flanks covered by other stacks.

Also, just give extensive defense options to an entrenched army the longer it stays in one place. Like the opposite of a siege. Every turn an army is on defense, you can have them make so many points worth of upgrades to their defenses. Eventually you can even make creature comforts to improve moral and integrity. 

As for artillery, treat it like an attached hero. Every turn it can bombard enemies in its range, doing damage based on its skill/tech/supply VS the enemy discipline and entrenchment.

Hell at a battle the artillery can start behind the line your troops deploy from and if you don't withdraw it early enough in a loss it's captured or destroyed.

Archived