Video Games- Mess Effect: Andromeda

A True Kaniggit

8 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

My desperate need for a WW1 total war is basically becoming an obsession. 

I've already figured out that airplanes and subs can work just like spies or champions! The sub lifts a small portion of the fog of war and can plunder trade routes or sabotage fleets, increasing population unrest. 

Planes can go a limited distance from your nearest province with an airport and provide info on city or army makeup. The more you research the tech, the more you reveal. And if the game let's you progress through and past the 20s eventually the planes can sabotage cities and armies via bombing.

Downers will point to the incompatibility of TW battle mechanics with trench warfare but that's the most boring aspect of ww1 and easy to work around. Don't make armies need a general and give huge moral and deployment bonuses to flanking attackers, thereby increasing incentive for lots of four or five division stacks spread out with their flanks covered by other stacks.

Also, just give extensive defense options to an entrenched army the longer it stays in one place. Like the opposite of a siege. Every turn an army is on defense, you can have them make so many points worth of upgrades to their defenses. Eventually you can even make creature comforts to improve moral and integrity. 

As for artillery, treat it like an attached hero. Every turn it can bombard enemies in its range, doing damage based on its skill/tech/supply VS the enemy discipline and entrenchment.

Hell at a battle the artillery can start behind the line your troops deploy from and if you don't withdraw it early enough in a loss it's captured or destroyed.

If CA is willing and able, I think that they should craft the game mechanics to work as best as possible with the time period and warfare they are trying to show. So none of this planes as spy units. WWI had plenty of dog fights, as well as aerial bombings, so if CA does decide to do a WWI total war, they should not hold back. And with that in mind, I would much prefer a WWII total war, as the front lines would be more dynamic.

CA announced recently, without giving too many details, on what they're working on: one team continues to work on the Warhammer verse, one team is set to bring a stand alone game to a period already explored (so probably the Rome or Attila period), and one team is in full production working on a new historical TW game set in a period not yet explored. Speculations aplenty - some people want the Victorian era, others, like you, want WWI (but doubtful), some want Europe in the 16th-17th centuries (i.e. The pike&shot period), others want an Asian campaign, as in China in the period of the Three Kingdoms, or the Mongol conquests etc.

6 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

Are there not WW1/2 mods for Total War games already? I'm not familiar with the series but that seems like a pretty obvious thing to make :dunno: 

I believe there is a WW1 mod for Empire Total War.

13 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

My desperate need for a WW1 total war is basically becoming an obsession. 

I've already figured out that airplanes and subs can work just like spies or champions! The sub lifts a small portion of the fog of war and can plunder trade routes or sabotage fleets, increasing population unrest. 

Planes can go a limited distance from your nearest province with an airport and provide info on city or army makeup. The more you research the tech, the more you reveal. And if the game let's you progress through and past the 20s eventually the planes can sabotage cities and armies via bombing.

Downers will point to the incompatibility of TW battle mechanics with trench warfare but that's the most boring aspect of ww1 and easy to work around. Don't make armies need a general and give huge moral and deployment bonuses to flanking attackers, thereby increasing incentive for lots of four or five division stacks spread out with their flanks covered by other stacks.

Also, just give extensive defense options to an entrenched army the longer it stays in one place. Like the opposite of a siege. Every turn an army is on defense, you can have them make so many points worth of upgrades to their defenses. Eventually you can even make creature comforts to improve moral and integrity. 

As for artillery, treat it like an attached hero. Every turn it can bombard enemies in its range, doing damage based on its skill/tech/supply VS the enemy discipline and entrenchment.

Hell at a battle the artillery can start behind the line your troops deploy from and if you don't withdraw it early enough in a loss it's captured or destroyed.

In this hypothetical game, will the enemy AI still do us the courtesy of running their cavalry down the length of our lines so we can butcher them at will?

Edit: Hmmm. How would tanks factor into a WWI Total War game? Would they also be champions?

And I'm trying to think how they could make the map. Just focused on Europe and the land around the Ottoman Empire?

7 hours ago, Corvinus said:

If CA is willing and able, I think that they should craft the game mechanics to work as best as possible with the time period and warfare they are trying to show. So none of this planes as spy units. WWI had plenty of dog fights, as well as aerial bombings, so if CA does decide to do a WWI total war, they should not hold back. And with that in mind, I would much prefer a WWII total war, as the front lines would be more dynamic.

CA announced recently, without giving too many details, on what they're working on: one team continues to work on the Warhammer verse, one team is set to bring a stand alone game to a period already explored (so probably the Rome or Attila period), and one team is in full production working on a new historical TW game set in a period not yet explored. Speculations aplenty - some people want the Victorian era, others, like you, want WWI (but doubtful), some want Europe in the 16th-17th centuries (i.e. The pike&shot period), others want an Asian campaign, as in China in the period of the Three Kingdoms, or the Mongol conquests etc.

Spies can interact with spies, that's your dogfights.

3 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

In this hypothetical game, will the enemy AI still do us the courtesy of running their cavalry down the length of our lines so we can butcher them at will?

Edit: Hmmm. How would tanks factor into a WWI Total War game? Would they also be champions?

And I'm trying to think how they could make the map. Just focused on Europe and the land around the Ottoman Empire?

Hells noes. That was a WORLD WAR. We don't need China or more than the coast of India but Africa and south America are necessary

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Thinking of grabbing Chaos Reborn on Steam tonight or this weekend. It's from the guy who did the early X-com games, which I loved. Supposed to be a cross between Magic: The Gathering and a turn based strategy game fought out on a simple grid map.

http://www.pcgamer.com/chaos-reborn-review/

Fuck yo' thinking.

You gonna play fantasy with us again this year?

I wanna have a WWI or WWII strategy game so bad!!! I needs it, give it to me!!!

Steel Division: Normandy 1944 just came out and has got some decent reviews. From the makers of RUSE, amongst other things.

Otherwise I generally roll back into Company of Heroes (sometimes CoH 2) if I fancy some WWII RTS. For RTS grand strategy I actually prefer something ultra-streamlined like Axis and Allies (or one of the free online variants).

Just now, Werthead said:

Steel Division: Normandy 1944 just came out and has got some decent reviews. From the makers of RUSE, amongst other things.

Otherwise I generally roll back into Company of Heroes (sometimes CoH 2) if I fancy some WWII RTS. For RTS grand strategy I actually prefer something ultra-streamlined like Axis and Allies (or one of the free online variants).

Loved the Old Panzer Generals, especially the stripped down version that was on the PS One. Probably my all-time favorite WWII strategy game.

I felt a pull to return to the World of Darkness, so I dug up and reinstalled Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines for the first time in like, nine years. It is as delightful as ever even if it is showing it's age in some parts at this point. I probably wont do a full playthrough though and will probably just go through the Santa Monica and Downtown areas, as they are probably the best parts of the game.

30 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

I felt a pull to return to the World of Darkness, so I dug up and reinstalled Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines for the first time in like, nine years. It is as delightful as ever even if it is showing it's age in some parts at this point. I probably wont do a full playthrough though and will probably just go through the Santa Monica and Downtown areas, as they are probably the best parts of the game.

Been meaning to check that game out for years as I love the dice and paper game. Will have to try and dig it up somewhere.

13 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Hells noes. That was a WORLD WAR. We don't need China or more than the coast of India but Africa and south America are necessary

I'm just worried how the production for each country would be set up in such a game. I suppose the game could be made so that less industrialized nations at the time have a cap on what they can produce.

Edit: And screw it. HoI IV is 50% off right now. I can't help myself. France shall not fall!

Thinking of grabbing Chaos Reborn on Steam tonight or this weekend. It's from the guy who did the early X-com games, which I loved.

Keep an eye out for Phoenix Point, a new XCOM-alike from the same guy (and it's been financially backed by the creators of the new XCOM, which is cool). I think that's a mid-to-late 2018 release but it looks stunning. The worldscape view is far, far more advanced than the new XCOM's for a start.

Ooh. New gameplay video. Very early pre-alpha, but it's looking pretty cool. 

Tekkenchat: Dragunov is a cool guy. I started playing him on a whim last night and did better than I ever have. I have no idea why but after losing my first match I won six straight, then lost three but won all three rematches.

On 6/15/2017 at 9:58 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

That's disappointing to hear. I was actually hoping for high praise so I could convince myself to buy it. Maybe later after a few more patches.

I actually play the other three games you mentioned. However, I consider Stellaris broken in its current form, and I refuse to go back to a previous version. So I can't play that until the game is fixed.

EU IV is fun when you're playing dominant nations, but I usually like to take a weak nation and make it strong. In it's current mode this is next to impossible. Within the last month I started a play through as Hesse and tried to form Germany. With an army of 60,000 and better generals I repeatedly fought against Austria's army of 35,000 and got crushed. My losses in the 40,000+ range and their losses around 8,000

Crusader Kings II is usually fun, but I've recently ran into an issue where my overlord will repeatedly demand that I give up a territory immediately after I win the war from the last time they demanded it. Not sure when this bug got into the game, but until it's fixed I can't get anything accomplished. 

Can I ask what about Stellaris in its current form is broken? I haven't played in a while but was thinking of picking up Utopia and getting back into it. Will probably not do that if it's currently broken...

As for EU4, it's definitely harder to go from weak to strong than it used to be, but it's still possible, and I'm not sure why the Austrians were beating you so handily. I've never had a problem like that that couldn't be explained (e.g., they were way ahead in tech, or I had forgotten to fully fund all my troops, or  my troops were severely suffering from winter).

Finally finished Breath of the Wild, beating all the shrines. It was a masterpiece of a game. The highest praise I can give it is that after finishing it and basically doing all the important sidequests, I still want to play more and just explore the world.

18 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Can I ask what about Stellaris in its current form is broken? I haven't played in a while but was thinking of picking up Utopia and getting back into it. Will probably not do that if it's currently broken...

So it looks like there was a hotfix released last Friday that is supposed to have fixed some of the smaller complaints I had. Mainly robots being counted as slaves and the AI wasting resources by terraforming planets repeatedly. 

But the main issue I have with it right now is the AI not expanding.  Back on May 09, when the Adams update was released, there was a bug that made it so the AI couldn't declare war on anybody.  On the 16th of May there was a hotfix that was supposed to fix the issue. But I've tried a few playthroughs since then and not once has any AI empire tried to expand through war, either against me or each other. They all just colonize their immediate area then stop. I've even left myself without a fleet and they don't declare war on me. What's the point of playing if there is no risk of losing?

I'm going to start a new game now to see if the problem is fixed after this latest update. I'll let you know in a few hours.

Edit: Yeah, I'm still running into the same problem. The galaxy gets filled up and then all the AI empires just sit around looking at each other.

Archived