Video Games- Mess Effect: Andromeda

A True Kaniggit

On 6/27/2017 at 11:37 AM, RumHam said:

Hollow Knight's controls really annoyed me at first, they felt kinda floaty and imprecise. Platforming was extremely frustrating for the first hour or so but then I got used to it. Really enjoyed that game though I got distracted by Friday the 13th and didn't finish it. I'd probably have no memory of where to go next if I tried to go back.

I am feeling a bit better about Hollow Knight now; its nice finally having a few more abilities than just jump and attack. But the lack of any roll or block (so far at least), combined with how slow the heal is, does make the pace of combat still feel clunky. I also wish there was more fast traveling than there is, maybe between every bench. The world is pretty massive (and I'm only into the Fungal Wastes so far) and it takes too long a time to move around, considering how much backtracking there is.

59 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I'd get it now and then do a replay before the third game comes out. It has a branching storyline with different characters living and dying, so has a lot of replay value (it was made by some ex-BioWare guys and you can see it in some of the branching story choices).

I'm not sure I'd find the time to do a replay. Actually, I'm not even sure I'd find the time to play them before the third game comes even if I buy them now. Do we have an idea when it's due, btw?

Still have some games to catch up...

So I got my Necro to 70 this afternoon with the help of a gem of ease and an ancient Corrupted Ashbringer two-hander. Plays a lot like a Witch Doctor what with the mob of pets. Still haven't managed to put together even two of the same set pieces yet. I imagine the sets and their effectiveness will ultimately determine how much I enjoy the class. 

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

I'm not sure I'd find the time to do a replay. Actually, I'm not even sure I'd find the time to play them before the third game comes even if I buy them now. Do we have an idea when it's due, btw?

Still have some games to catch up...

They're shortish games. The first one is about 12-13 hours and the second one about 9 hours. The third game isn't due until early-to-mid 2018, I believe.

19 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

So I got my Necro to 70 this afternoon with the help of a gem of ease and an ancient Corrupted Ashbringer two-hander. Plays a lot like a Witch Doctor what with the mob of pets. Still haven't managed to put together even two of the same set pieces yet. I imagine the sets and their effectiveness will ultimately determine how much I enjoy the class. 

I've got one at level 5...

:lol: 

20 hours ago, Werthead said:

They're shortish games. The first one is about 12-13 hours and the second one about 9 hours. The third game isn't due until early-to-mid 2018, I believe.

Oh, that's nice. I was getting used to (and tired of) 50-100 hours open-world RPG games...

It will be a breath of fresh air. Sold. Thanks.

The Banner Saga games are some of the best I've played recently. You won't regret picking them up. 

Picked Persona 5 back up after nearly a month, I put too much time into this game to not finish it. Just past the big "twist" (which I saw coming a mile off) and I think I'm in the final dungeon now. 

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Until Dawn is the PSN+ "free" game for July. I will get it for sure, after all why not? But Horror games aren't totally my thing, so dunno how much I'll play it.

Ooh, I played it already but I only rented it cause I heard it was short. Been wanting to go through it again with different choices. Really great game. 

I'm not finding anything to buy on this steam sale. The discount on Civilization VI is not big enough for me want to get it.

I wanted to buy the expansion that came out last summer for Might & Magic Heroes VII, but even the most recent reviews say the game is still buggy. Ubisoft just doesn't really give a shit about this franchise, and are using it just to make a quick buck. One of my favorite franchises. :angry2:

Picked up DOOM for $15, thereby increasing my total Steam sale expenses to $130 for 12 games. I've still got 17 games on my wishlist, but 4 are new enough that they aren't on sale and the rest aren't discounted nearly enough from their too-high prices (I don't know when $20 became the standard price for 2-3 hour indie games, but I don't care how good they are; that's more than I'll pay for that short an experience), or I'm happy to wait until the next sale for (Prey for $40 would be a good deal, but I already have so many new AAA to get through now).

Played a bit of Hollow Knight today. I like it a lot so far, feels very Soulsy. I've killed the first two bosses (the second one kicked my ass half a dozen times or so before I got it) and bought all the map store items cause those seemed pretty crucial. Trying to save up for the lamp now as I've come across a few dark rooms. 

I've really come around on Hollow Knight. Some of the platforming later on gets to Ori-levels of stupid hard, but a lot of that is for optional stuff rather than critical path (I think). The combat has gotten more fun as I've unlocked more abilities and charms; and the world's backstory has gotten more interesting as things have opened up a bit (I highly recommending finding the Hunter's Journal, aka the beastiary, when you're in Greenpath).

I wish there was at least one more map pin though, noting where a room entrance is inaccessible because you don't have the ability required yet. The metroidvania aspects of the game are a bit frustrating still at times.

I've killed 5 named bosses I think, and I don't have a lamp yet either. And from what I can tell, I've so far only found one dark room that didn't lead to an area I later found another path to (although I have no idea if there's anything valuable in the dark rooms themselves). I'd recommend holding off on farming geo for it at least until you're a bit further in and the enemies are more lucrative (in a few more hours you'll find an easy farming spot where enemies drop 10 geo each; and its right next to a spot where the enemies are a bit harder but drop 25 geo each), that should save you a bunch of time.

Got The Banner Saga games nice and cheap. Combat with lots of characters on screen in TBS1 is pretty annoying because you can't see half your party members when things get tight. Otherwise it's a pretty good game.

10 hours ago, Fez said:

I've really come around on Hollow Knight. Some of the platforming later on gets to Ori-levels of stupid hard, but a lot of that is for optional stuff rather than critical path (I think). The combat has gotten more fun as I've unlocked more abilities and charms; and the world's backstory has gotten more interesting as things have opened up a bit (I highly recommending finding the Hunter's Journal, aka the beastiary, when you're in Greenpath).

I wish there was at least one more map pin though, noting where a room entrance is inaccessible because you don't have the ability required yet. The metroidvania aspects of the game are a bit frustrating still at times.

I've killed 5 named bosses I think, and I don't have a lamp yet either. And from what I can tell, I've so far only found one dark room that didn't lead to an area I later found another path to (although I have no idea if there's anything valuable in the dark rooms themselves). I'd recommend holding off on farming geo for it at least until you're a bit further in and the enemies are more lucrative (in a few more hours you'll find an easy farming spot where enemies drop 10 geo each; and its right next to a spot where the enemies are a bit harder but drop 25 geo each), that should save you a bunch of time.

Agreed 100% on the bolded. I've never really been much of a Metroidvania fan but this and Ori really appealed to me for some reason. 

I've found two or three dark rooms that I couldn't get through, and I've got about 1,000 Geo together so far after buying all the map stuff. There doesn't seem to be much else appealing to spend money on. Another shard to eventually get more HP or MP I guess. I bought the rotten egg and haven't figured out what it's for yet. 

---

I also got into the closed alpha for Keystone. It's a new class based shooter (another one, shocking I know) from the studio that made Warframe. It's very rough right now with a ton of balance issues and a really limited hero roster (cause alpha) but I actually really like it. It has this awesome retro sci-fi aesthetic  and the main game mode is pretty fun despite being basically your typical "capture the point". If anybody's interested I'll give you my referal link that'll get you on the VIP alpha list (more likely to be selected). The current test ends on Tuesday though. 

48 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

I've found two or three dark rooms that I couldn't get through, and I've got about 1,000 Geo together so far after buying all the map stuff. There doesn't seem to be much else appealing to spend money on

Did you find the merchant in Forgotten Crossroads that sells charms? That's where most of my Geo went.

26 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Did you find the merchant in Forgotten Crossroads that sells charms? That's where most of my Geo went.

Nope. The only merchants I have access to right now are the two in town. I need to go back through Crossroads now that I have the dash ability, I think there's a few places I couldn't get to before. 

2 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Nope. The only merchants I have access to right now are the two in town. I need to go back through Crossroads now that I have the dash ability, I think there's a few places I couldn't get to before. 

Now that I think about it you might need the Dash to find her. 

Archived