Video Games- Mess Effect: Andromeda

A True Kaniggit

So after owning this game for over a month my brother and I have still yet to finish our first play through. I do have fun with multiplayer, but being repeatedly kicked out of sessions really hurts it's enjoyability. However, I will persevere. 

Edit: And in Stellaris news, though Paradox hasn't yet let us rearrange the outliner ourselves, they have made it so civilian ships are listed in a certain order. No more of this Sci ship, Con ship, Sci ship, Sci ship, Con ship crap. I actually used to have to destroy my own ships so the same types would be listed next to each other. Now they just have to do the same thing for planet types. 

Edit 2: Ha. Apparently in the last 2 days ME:A did a new update. Completely screwed up all of my multiplayer characters. 

On 09/05/2017 at 0:13 AM, Rhom said:

I will say, the more I play the game; the more I think that the only real "mistake" made with the game was the decision to go entirely open world. As I mentioned earlier, the game still has some great set pieces.  I thought the decision I had to make at the end of the Archon's ship was up there with any of the decisions from the first trilogy like letting the Rachni queen live/die and others along that line.  How much will it matter to the story?  I don't know... but lets be honest, in the end none of the decisions I made in the first trilogy mattered much either. 

I agree completely. And that choice in particular really got to me. I was so focused on saving the leader of one group that I didn't think in the moment what the other group represented. I got chewed out in game for the decision, and then

Spoiler

Doing the memory questline immediately afterwards and getting smacked over the head with "these might be the only Krogan left for all Ryder knows given the Reaper attack, and that's a significant amount of Krogan left that I just left behind". I was really hoping to see them make a definitive stand on this in future games but...

6 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

So yesterday, EA CEO said Mass Effect Andromeda turned out really great and only performed slightly under expectations. Today Bioware Montreal is "downsized" (no one lost jobs, I think, just staff were moved to other divisions making Montreal a support team), and Mass Effect is on indefinite hold for the future. This sounds bad. A lot of "don't worry, things are fine, we'll get a new Mass Effect eventually" but given how quick of a turnaround from yesterday, I'm starting to be concerned what this awful entry did for the future of the franchise, or: it killed it.

I'm particularly annoyed if they ditch ME because of the choice to go open world that I'm certain was at least very firmly encouraged by EA if not outright ordered. Fuck you guys.

Looks like this means no story DLC for Andromeda. I blame ridiculously high expectations from both fans and the company more than I blame execution. 

The MEOT was regarded among THE best games of all time. For fans or creators to assume anyone will continue to deliver the greatest of anything is dreaming.

Goes with my theory that the internet doesn't accept following greatness with pretty goodness. Anything that follows greatness fucking sucks if it isn't as great as the first thing.

In retrospect, it does seem pretty silly for EA to pass off one of their marquee franchises to a support studio and expect a game as critically and commercially successful as the original trilogy. I really hope this Dylan IP that Bioware Edmonton is working on is worth the price of possibly losing Mass Effect for good.

Still working through Persona 5. I'm at 110 hours on the 5th dungeon and honestly starting to burn out on it a little. The design of this dungeon isn't helping. Constantly having to backtrack through the same few areas with re spawning enemies. Grunt battles feel like a total waste of time. They're no threat, they just waste my SP. The overall story is still pretty interesting though so I wanna see it through. 

---

Also, Stellaris. 

I picked it up because it's part of this month's Humble Monthly (so $12 for it plus 5 other games that will be revealed later). Also got some of the DLC since it was on sale on Steam. Didn't expect to actually do much with it because Paradox games typically just make me feel dumb. This time is different though. For the first time I actually feel like I have some idea what I'm doing. Still playing like shit though. I've restarted a few times. 

I constantly feel weak though. Even researching as many ship upgrades as I can and building up to my naval limit, I'm way below the strength of most of the hostiles I'm encountering. This is troubling as my fanatically religious flower-people need to spread the light of the Sun God across the galaxy. 

I quite enjoyed ME:A. I found it overwhelming at first, but I persevered and got to have a lot of fun. The game does have plenty of flaws, but it's no worse than most open world RPGs. I was excited for the sequel, now I am worried.

3 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

Looks like this means no story DLC for Andromeda. I blame ridiculously high expectations from both fans and the company more than I blame execution. 

The MEOT was regarded among THE best games of all time. For fans or creators to assume anyone will continue to deliver the greatest of anything is dreaming.

Goes with my theory that the internet doesn't accept following greatness with pretty goodness. Anything that follows greatness fucking sucks if it isn't as great as the first thing.

Yeah, but for a lot of us, it sucked, it wasn't even pretty good. You can't decide for others what the issue was. Mass Effect trilogy is among my favorite ever, but Mass Effect 4 could have continued that with quality writing. 

9 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Yeah, but for a lot of us, it sucked, it wasn't even pretty good. You can't decide for others what the issue was. Mass Effect trilogy is among my favorite ever, but Mass Effect 4 could have continued that with quality writing. 

Regardless of what you thought of it, it didn't perform poorly. It only failed to meet expectations apparantly. People still bought it, and I'm pretty sure some people are still going to buy it.

9 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Regardless of what you thought of it, it didn't perform poorly. It only failed to meet expectations apparantly. People still bought it, and I'm pretty sure some people are still going to buy it.

I don't even understand your response to what I said. I responded to something you said, and you make up some other issue?

1 hour ago, Simon Steele said:

I don't even understand your response to what I said. I responded to something you said, and you make up some other issue?

You said according to you and others, that you thought it sucked. Ok ill respond to that by saying according to me and others, it didn't suck. Some of our opinions range from it was average to it was pretty good. And I'm willing to bet that it didn't suck in terms of sales even if it didn't meet expectations 

The Mass Effect series has always performed modestly. Combined lifetime sales of the first three games I think are around 15 million. That's less than what Fallout 4 shifted on its first day on sale. For the first three games, each produced in moderate time (3 years, 3 years, 2 years) and at a reasonable budget apiece, that was still acceptable.

Andromeda took 5 years to produce, its budget was substantially higher and apparently it's sold significantly less than Dragon Age: Inquisition in a comparable time period. The game has also had a critical mauling by comparison (roughly 70 for MEA compared to 89 for DAI). It's unsurprising that EA are taking another look at where to take the franchise.

3 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

You said according to you and others, that you thought it sucked. Ok ill respond to that by saying according to me and others, it didn't suck. Some of our opinions range from it was average to it was pretty good. And I'm willing to bet that it didn't suck in terms of sales even if it didn't meet expectations 

You were talking about the internet whining about less than perfection--I don't know where all this sales stuff is coming from. A lot of people didn't like it--and it had more than "urgh, it's not as good as the first three" going on. A lot of us think it's a flat out bad game. I'm sure some people did like it. I was just responding to your flippant categorization of people who don't agree with you.

6 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

You were talking about the internet whining about less than perfection--I don't know where all this sales stuff is coming from. A lot of people didn't like it--and it had more than "urgh, it's not as good as the first three" going on. A lot of us think it's a flat out bad game. I'm sure some people did like it. I was just responding to your flippant categorization of people who don't agree with you.

Ok everyone other than you and whoever else you mean when you say "us". Everybody other than those people is who I was talking about. 

10 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I constantly feel weak though. Even researching as many ship upgrades as I can and building up to my naval limit, I'm way below the strength of most of the hostiles I'm encountering. This is troubling as my fanatically religious flower-people need to spread the light of the Sun God across the galaxy. 

You need to be pretty greedy though, and expand towards planets as fast as you can without crippling yourself in case you have hostile aliens. Spaceports give extra fleet limit, and the more planets you have, the more territory/resources/spaceports you can have. It's a hefty balancing act, especially if you're not playing multiplayer cooperatively with friends. I had a session where I spawned with no hostile aliens, friends to all sides but east which was empty, so I could just dump everything into colony ships to expand to the east(using the +5 Core Worlds Ascension Perk and +2 you get from completing Expansion Traditions) and infrastructure and economy before I built up my fleet. Now I have the strongest fleet bar the Fallen Empires, and can continue to grow it if I get better power plants. That session might be bust though, given it was on the old 1.5.1 patch and 1.6.1 might break it.

That is a pretty big extreme, though. Since you're probably playing alone, you'll need to balance out your expansion so as not to leave yourself too vulnerable. At the start, once you get the basic starting infrastructure, immediately start two colony ships to expand quickly since that's when everyone, including the AI, will do the same, but that's the only time you can do so freely. After that, as I said, it's balancing correct times to do so(and when to take correct Traditions and Ascension Perks.)

17 hours ago, karaddin said:

How did it screw up your characters?

When I was playing last night the skillpoints for my characters had been randomly reassigned into skills that I did not use. It seems they've  fixed this though, because I just logged in and it is allowing me to redo those characters. 

3 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

When I was playing last night the skillpoints for my characters had been randomly reassigned into skills that I did not use. It seems they've  fixed this though, because I just logged in and it is allowing me to redo those characters. 

Yeah I logged in after asking and I'd had skill points on human sentinel reset, perhaps there will be more next time I log in.

On Invalid Date at 9:45 AM, KiDisaster said:

Still working through Persona 5. I'm at 110 hours on the 5th dungeon and honestly starting to burn out on it a little. The design of this dungeon isn't helping. Constantly having to backtrack through the same few areas with re spawning enemies. Grunt battles feel like a total waste of time. They're no threat, they just waste my SP. The overall story is still pretty interesting though so I wanna see it through. 

I finished it last week and am working on ng+ now.  That 5th palace was slog.  And the story surrounding it was probably the worst part of the game.  Hang in there, it pays off in the next palace.

110 hours and only that far?  You must have done a ton of grinding.  I finished the game at 134 hours.  If you're overlevelled I can see where most battles feel pointless.  I'm trying to hit lvl 99 in ng+.  It's pretty dull repeatedly hitting rush mode for only 30 xp.

1 hour ago, Muttering Bill said:

I finished it last week and am working on ng+ now.  That 5th palace was slog.  And the story surrounding it was probably the worst part of the game.  Hang in there, it pays off in the next palace.

110 hours and only that far?  You must have done a ton of grinding.  I finished the game at 134 hours.  If you're overlevelled I can see where most battles feel pointless.  I'm trying to hit lvl 99 in ng+.  It's pretty dull repeatedly hitting rush mode for only 30 xp.

Almost through it now. Secured the route to the treasure right before I went to bed last night so just the final boss left. The run up to this palace didn't help either. From a couple days before the school trip right up until you first infiltrate the palace the game just goes full story dump mode for about 2 in game weeks or so. Barely anything to actually do. Just press X and read. Wouldn't have been so bad if the weirdly contrived "Mona bails" subplot hadn't been stretched out so long but oh well. 

I haven't done any grinding actually. I've done each of the palaces in one or two straight shots depending on how quickly I ran out of SP, and I only go to mementos if I have requests to complete. I'm level 40 now so I dunno if that's overleveled for the fifth palace or not though. I have a habit of leaving games running while I do other things so the in game clock of 110 hours is somewhat inflated. I might be at 85-90 hours of actual gameplay at a rough guess. 

Archived