Video Games- Mess Effect: Andromeda

A True Kaniggit

I picked up Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, The Sexy Brutale and the new Prey in the sale after hearing really good things about all of them. Also considering The Surge and Torment Numenera. 

Now to find time to play them all >.>

On 2017-6-24 at 8:21 AM, Werthead said:

Darkest Dungeon looks good, I'm tempted by that. Although I worry it'd be the sort of game I'd buy, play for 30 minutes and never touch it again.

This War of Mine is spectacularly good value for £3. And Blood Bowl II is very good value at £8.

Outside of the Steam sale, Homeworld: Cataclysm (renamed Emergence due to Blizzard thinking they own generic terms now) has finally been re-released on GoG. Heavily recommended. Go buy it. Go buy the shit out of it (and the rest of the franchise if you've never played it before).

Might have to look at This War of Mine on PC, since the PS4 version I got crashes rather early in the game. But it's a very good game, as far as I've managed to play through it of course.

On 24/06/2017 at 11:09 PM, Rhom said:

My wife complained that I was spending too much time in the basement during my ME:A playing sessions over the last few months.  Said she wished her husband would just come to bed.  So I get the brilliant idea to get a PS Vita and play in bed while she reads/goes to sleep.  I try it out for the first time last night and everything is going well until she turns off the light and rolls over... about 5 minutes later she's complaining that the buttons click too loudly.  :bang: 

I would suggest your wife is probably wanting her husband in bed with her in mind as much, if not more than, as in body :P This is a mistake I am also guilty of.

On 2017-6-25 at 1:09 AM, Rhom said:

My wife complained that I was spending too much time in the basement during my ME:A playing sessions over the last few months.  Said she wished her husband would just come to bed.  So I get the brilliant idea to get a PS Vita and play in bed while she reads/goes to sleep.  I try it out for the first time last night and everything is going well until she turns off the light and rolls over... about 5 minutes later she's complaining that the buttons click too loudly.  :bang: 

Well, that just shows you weren't thinking straight. You SHOULD have got an Xperia Z3, and used remote play on that using your PS4 controller. Pretty sure the buttons are quieter on the DS4*.

To date my wife hasn't complained about me spending too much time on gaming. But then the PS4 is in the lounge hooked up to our only TV, and it's my wife who takes herself off to the bedroom to watch Netflix on the laptop until she falls asleep. She could relax in the lounge and watch Netflix on the laptop while I play; though then she'd need to wear headphones.

*Not really.

Decided I don't much care for Hollow Knight or Hyper Light Drifter. Something about the way each controls just really rubbed me the wrong way. I liked Salt and Sanctuary a lot when I played it last year (which is more similar to Hollow Knight, but does have some in common with HLD) so I think I'm still on board with these really difficult 2d combat games, but these ones are not for me.

I accidentally "was satisfied" with Her Story after a little under 30 minutes, which was kind of disappointing. I picked up on a keyword long before the game was expecting me to I think,

Spoiler

watch

and uncovered one of the final video segments in the game. It didn't reveal everything, but it had enough keywords that everything I needed was only one degree of separation away for me to understand everything. I could go back and uncover the 90 minutes or so of footage that I missed, but it seems pretty pointless now that the mystery is over.

I've been having fun with The Division. Its not as fun to play as Destiny I think, or as visually interesting, but it seems worth the $20 I paid.

Haven't touched any of the other Steam sale games yet, and probably won't until I finish the DA:I replay (just finished up the quest to side with the mages). I added Dying Light as another purchase though. I was considering getting Prey; but even on sale its still $40 and I have a ton to play now. So I'll probably wait until the Winter sale to get it, and hope its cheaper by then. I am thinking of getting Hearts of Iron IV based on the Pony Queen's write-up, but I am concerned over how much DLC there is and how expensive it is and whether the base game on its own is worth playing.

19 minutes ago, Fez said:

Decided I don't much care for Hollow Knight or Hyper Light Drifter. Something about the way each controls just really rubbed me the wrong way.

I've been having fun with The Division. Its not as fun to play as Destiny I think, or as visually interesting, but it seems worth the $20 I paid.

Hollow Knight's controls really annoyed me at first, they felt kinda floaty and imprecise. Platforming was extremely frustrating for the first hour or so but then I got used to it. Really enjoyed that game though I got distracted by Friday the 13th and didn't finish it. I'd probably have no memory of where to go next if I tried to go back.

I dunno if you got the DLC with The Division, but that Survival Mode DLC is amazing. Assuming there's still a decent online player base I'd highly recommend it. They put you in a different version of the map in a blizzard at night with no supplies and you have to scavenge for supplies and warmer clothing before you freeze to death. By far the most fun I ever had with that game. 

13 hours ago, karaddin said:

I would suggest your wife is probably wanting her husband in bed with her in mind as much, if not more than, as in body :P This is a mistake I am also guilty of.

Yeah... intellectually I know that, but as we approach 40 bed time comes earlier and earlier especially for her.  :lol:  May have to wait for her to fall asleep and then break it out.  :lol: 

13 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Well, that just shows you weren't thinking straight. You SHOULD have got an Xperia Z3, and used remote play on that using your PS4 controller. Pretty sure the buttons are quieter on the DS4*.

To date my wife hasn't complained about me spending too much time on gaming. But then the PS4 is in the lounge hooked up to our only TV, and it's my wife who takes herself off to the bedroom to watch Netflix on the laptop until she falls asleep. She could relax in the lounge and watch Netflix on the laptop while I play; though then she'd need to wear headphones.

*Not really.

What's funny is that I distinctly remember reading reviews comparing the Vita slim vs the original Vita on Amazon and someone made the comment about how the Vita gives a very satisfying "click" with the button presses.  I didn't think anything of it until she made that comment. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Fez said:

I'm such a sheep, I broke down and pre-ordered Destiny 2 yesterday.

And now that I think about it... as soon as I hit "Submit Reply" on this post, I'm going over to Battle.net and purchasing Rise of the Necromancer for D3.  Because its there...

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I'm such a sheep, I broke down and pre-ordered Destiny 2 yesterday.

And now that I think about it... as soon as I hit "Submit Reply" on this post, I'm going over to Battle.net and purchasing Rise of the Necromancer for D3.  Because its there...

Pre-order? Gross. I'll almost certainly buy Destiny 2 the day it gets released on PC (which is like a month after the console release, IIRC), but I'm not pre-ordering. I never do. Not on the off chance that it's a coding garbage fire or just a really terrible game.

Pre-order just seems so unnecessary. Back in the day I guess it felt necessary in order to secure your game day 1, back when you could only buy games on disc. These days with a large digital market, including on consoles, pre-ordering seems like it has few consumer merits, and of course giving stuff away to people who stump up money early, but end up paying exactly the same amount as the person who buys on day one (or after) rubs me the wrong way.

But I've never really been a day 1 guy. I'm more the cheapskate guy who buys nearly every game only after it has had at least one price drop, or goes on sale. And I don't give a rat's about bonus cosmetics. The one regret I do have about being a tightwad is that I didn't pay the extra for Infamous: Second Son and get to play Cole's story.

For those interested in Darkest Dungeon, I can confirm that Radiant mode makes the game a hell of a lot less frustrating.  Just the simple ability to bring higher-leveled characters into level one dungeons (you can take people up to level four, whereas I think you could only bring in up to level two characters before) is a major change.  Being able to anchor a boss mission with a level three or four character really reduces some of the cheaper moments in the game when it just seems dead set on fucking you over.  

Also, being able to upgrade the stage coach so that higher level, fully-upgraded (to up to level four) characters pop out saves you a ton of money.  I've found myself cutting characters from my roster when an already-upgraded version of the same level class pops up in the stage coach.  Why waste the time and money upgrading the guy I've got when I can replace him with the same character who is already totally upgraded?

On a side note, there are some pretty cool skins available on the DD Steam Workshop.  There's a Geralt skin for the bounty hunter that looks fantastic, a couple of Dark Souls skin packs, and, my personal favorite, a skin that changes the Leper into Dr. Doom.  I also grabbed a mod that allows for slightly larger inventory stacks, because the restrictions in the base game just feel ridiculous.  There's also a mod that doubles your inventory space, but I thought that would make things a bit too easy so I skipped it.

5 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

This board will never let me quote.  Gah it's annoying.

Anyways in order to have Radiant mode do you need to buy the Expansion?

No.  Radiant mode came out a few months ago.  I don't have the expansion yet and I am playing it.

On 6/25/2017 at 7:39 PM, Pony Queen Jace said:

Their war casualties are currently at 4.6 million! Good gawd! Right now I've basically reestablished a continuous line from the North Sea to Hungary against the Reds now that the pocket has been reduced and I have enough divisions. Before I was forced to let the Poles fend for themselves along stretches of the line and, predictably, the Soviets were making good headway towards Warsaw and were almost on the point of being a potential threat to cut off my entire Army Group North.

Meanwhile, I've sent Heinz Guderian and Rommel to double-trouble pincer on Romania through Makedon and Epirus. They'll make short work of the Romanians and then continue with a section of Model's infantry to drive to Kiev and link up with a planned push by Army Group North that will cut off some 100 divisions of Soviets in central Poland. 

A Picture of the current field. That giant spearhead through the middle of Poland is what's going to get cut off when Guderian and Rommel move on Kiev after subduing Romania. 

Hmmm. I hope the silence since the last update is a reluctance to keep posting repeated updates on a playthough (I don't like doing this either), and not a sign of ignominious defeat. If it's the latter, please PM me the results of the campaign. I hate cliffhangers!

So the Banner Saga collection is currently on sale on PSN for 15€, and I'm thinking of going for it...

But I heard it's supposed to be a trilogy, right? With a third game coming? So, should I wait for the finished saga? I'm the kind of guy to wait for big collections and buy them where they're cheap.

38 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

So the Banner Saga collection is currently on sale on PSN for 15€, and I'm thinking of going for it...

But I heard it's supposed to be a trilogy, right? With a third game coming? So, should I wait for the finished saga? I'm the kind of guy to wait for big collections and buy them where they're cheap.

I'd get it now and then do a replay before the third game comes out. It has a branching storyline with different characters living and dying, so has a lot of replay value (it was made by some ex-BioWare guys and you can see it in some of the branching story choices).

Archived