A True Kaniggit

Video Games- Mess Effect: Andromeda

410 posts in this topic

On 7/18/2017 at 0:43 PM, Rhom said:

So yesterday I wanted to post about the Ataribox.  I don't even want to attempt posting a link right now, so suffice to say all the reports are talking about how good the case looks.  Classic fake wood Atari styling, etc.  Very little detail about any games or specs.

Right now, it feels like a beautiful failure to me.

I dunno, if they go with an expandable library and wireless controllers as rumored, I'll probably pick one up.  If they go like the NES classic, no thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ded As Ned said:

I dunno, if they go with an expandable library and wireless controllers as rumored, I'll probably pick one up.  If they go like the NES classic, no thanks.

My understanding is that this is to play new console games with the old backlog as an added feature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Season begins in Diablo 3 tonight. Think I'm going to take the plunge and go with a Hardcore Necromancer this time out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent a few hours playing Elite Dangerous in VR with a HOTAS controller. Probably the coolest experience I've had with VR so far, and makes me strongly consider picking up a wheel to try some racing games but I don't feel like spending the money at the moment. I think it's probably the thing that'll most likely make someone a believer if they've never tried VR before. 

I wish Elite Dangerous wasn't such a pure sandbox though. Any sort of narrative or direction would be nice. 'Make your own fun' games just don't really work for me, I don't think I'm creative enough. I just end up feeling unmotivated. 

But man, flying around in that game last night was a hell of an experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Rhom said:

My understanding is that this is to play new console games with the old backlog as an added feature.

From Atari:  "As you can guess, those ports suggest modern internal specs. It also means that while we will be delivering classic gaming content, we will also be delivering current gaming content."

I'm still intrigued

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KiDisaster said:

Spent a few hours playing Elite Dangerous in VR with a HOTAS controller. Probably the coolest experience I've had with VR so far, and makes me strongly consider picking up a wheel to try some racing games but I don't feel like spending the money at the moment. I think it's probably the thing that'll most likely make someone a believer if they've never tried VR before. 

I wish Elite Dangerous wasn't such a pure sandbox though. Any sort of narrative or direction would be nice. 'Make your own fun' games just don't really work for me, I don't think I'm creative enough. I just end up feeling unmotivated. 

But man, flying around in that game last night was a hell of an experience. 

There is more of a narrative gathering pace now, with the return of the Thargoids (although it's taking quite a while to unfold).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went back to playing XCom2, and with some of the new content it's a dramatically better game. The balance of having things to do and not being able to do them all is much better, explosives aren't nearly as useful as they were due to losing loot and enemies with cover issues, and by far the best thing is the Alien Hunters expansion. Those things are hard as hell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Went back to playing XCom2, and with some of the new content it's a dramatically better game. The balance of having things to do and not being able to do them all is much better, explosives aren't nearly as useful as they were due to losing loot and enemies with cover issues, and by far the best thing is the Alien Hunters expansion. Those things are hard as hell. 

Recently I did a playthrough, and I was finally able to beat all three monarchs. Frost grenade is the key.

Looking forward to the expansion next month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got an email from EA today asking if I'd like to take a survey on Mass Effect Andromeda.  Normally, I don't do that sort of thing... but I had a couple minutes and figured "Why the hell not."

Now I understand what the problem is.

The survey consisted of one question:  How likely are you to recommend ME:A to a friend or family member?  (I put a 6).  It then followed up with an open response answer on why you put that.

Then the survey asks, Would you be willing to answer an additional 5 questions regarding ME:A Multiplayer?

So I did... all five questions were variations on asking about purchasing item packs vs specific items and the use of real world currency vs in game currency.

So basically, EA has taken what was a tacked on feature to ME3 and made it the basis of the entire business model for ME:A.  And it shows.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2017 at 4:03 PM, Kalbear said:

Went back to playing XCom2, and with some of the new content it's a dramatically better game. The balance of having things to do and not being able to do them all is much better, explosives aren't nearly as useful as they were due to losing loot and enemies with cover issues, and by far the best thing is the Alien Hunters expansion. Those things are hard as hell. 

I'm also doing a run through and I don't agree at all.  Are frag grenades/plasma grenades not as useful as they used to be?  Potentially not.  But the other types are much more so.  Flashbangs are absolute gold.

I also haven't had a problem with the 3 rulers... all went down in 2-3 missions and the berserker queen didn't even get remotely close to hitting anyone.  I like the idea though, I'm hoping the new expansion improves them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

I'm also doing a run through and I don't agree at all.  Are frag grenades/plasma grenades not as useful as they used to be?  Potentially not.  But the other types are much more so.  Flashbangs are absolute gold.

I also haven't had a problem with the 3 rulers... all went down in 2-3 missions and the berserker queen didn't even get remotely close to hitting anyone.  I like the idea though, I'm hoping the new expansion improves them.

The explosives aren't nearly as good as they were; while flashbangs were good, it's nothing like it was when I had 3 grenadiers and a scout and blew up everything without even being seen. The experimental ammo with pistol sharpshooters also became awesome. 

I had a very hard time with the archon,  mostly because I got him every time on extract missions. The berserker wasn't hard, and the king cobra wasn't too bad, but that archon blowing up my LZ and knocking out people every other turn was pretty brutal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'm currently playing Andromeda, I was doing it in Insanity at first. But then I got to the first bosses (the Ketts with their shield orbs, and the Architects) and I just couldn't do it...

Since they were only side quests, I thought maybe I could come back to it later. But then came a point where I had to beat the Cardinal (main story). And I still couldn't. The goddam orb takes eternity to die, and then you get not even 1s to hit the Cardinal before he regenerates his shield. And he keeps calling reinforcements until it becomes untenable, four or five orbs later.

So after dying countless times, and spending way too much time on this, I switched to Hardcore...

Did someone really manage to beat this game in Insanity? And how? Am I doing something wrong? What's the efficient way of beating the Cardinal (and the like)?

Edited by Pliskin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Did someone really manage to beat this game in Insanity? And how? Am I doing something wrong? What's the efficient way of beating the Cardinal (and the like)?

Sure. IMO insanity is the way to go with any ME after the first.

Some things to consider when playing Andromeda on the highest setting:

* after the first 10-20 levels, playing as a vanguard style character is probably the easiest route to go, since that playstyle almost completely negates the fact that enemies in this game are much more mobile than in previous ones and won't just sit behind cover until you take them out one by one; the only exceptions being anything with sync-kill abilities (sadly this does include ascended)

* it goes without saying that you'll need high DPS guns to take out an ascended. preferably ones that can fire off more than one or two shots before you need to reload; you might also consider hitting them with a cobra once the shield is down (or alternatively use a cobra to destroy the orb; I think in multiplayer at least, you'll take out the shield and damage the ascended themselves in that case)

* failing that, you can never go wrong with tactical cloak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Ok, thanks. I went full Adept on this one, which is fun in most situations. But I guess, it's just a bad idea against "ascended"...


Anyway, I think I still don't have the courage to go back (a few hours) and retry on Insanity.

Edited by Pliskin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a patch for Civ. 6 came out today. I haven't played in a couple months, but I may give it a shot in a few days after any bugs from the update have been worked out. Especially if they've been able to fix the AI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Anyway, I think I still don't have the courage to go back (a few hours) and retry on Insanity.

Oh don't worry, quite a few more of these types of enemies down the line.

 

Oh, one thing I found makes the game even easier: beam emitter augmentation on a high dps gun like the valkyrie or hornet. Effectively the beam emitter turns a gun whose damage is partially balanced out through high recoil and gives it pinpoint accuracy. The only real problem is magazine size, but that's an issue with the base gun as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished Resident Evil 4 for the first time...

What have I been missing all my life. This game deserves all the insane praise it has been receiving over the years, it is one of the best games of all time. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Azzanadra said:

Just finished Resident Evil 4 for the first time...

What have I been missing all my life. This game deserves all the insane praise it has been receiving over the years, it is one of the best games of all time. 

 

I really loved it when it came out, but it's weird, I have trouble getting back into it due to the controls. And RE4 really fixed a lot of issues with the controls. I like 5 and 6 too. Either way, the games are good. I haven't tried the newest yet, have you?

I just got Arkham Knight--I think I'm going to give it a try shortly. I've been immersed in Grim Dawn, Ark, and Hollow Knight. Batman might be an interesting change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh My God, even in Hard, I cannot beat the goddamn Architect...

Do these devs know what a check-point is? And that enemies popping in an infinite loop if you don't go to a specific point to activate the next stage is fucking moronic?

Or I'm just bad. Probably this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now