Frederic_ed

What future events from the books can we REALLY imply from the show

105 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2017 at 11:11 AM, Frederic_ed said:

C'mon, he will finish at least TWOW :P

He will.  But, how much is that going to move the story forward?  And even if the series could end in 7 books, which seems unlikely, how long or ever will it take for the final book to come out?  How much will reaction to the show's ending influence the author on his own ending, some, none?  Who knows.  It's an unfortunate situation all around.

On 6/22/2017 at 1:38 AM, GeorgeIAF said:

As time goes by i am more and more convinced that GRRM will never finish Asoiaf.

On 6/22/2017 at 11:11 AM, Frederic_ed said:

C'mon, he will finish at least TWOW :P

He can finish TWOW, but he still has ADOS and possibly an eighth volume to contend with.

39 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Agreed. I think there will be lots of differences in the books. There's just too much that has been fundamentally changed, these are in many cases such different characters and storylines, that there's no way they could bring them in line with the books in such a short time, and I doubt they'd even care to bother.

I think all we can say with any certainty is that the main characters--POV Starks + POV Lannisters + Dany--will have the same endings as in the books. Everything else is up for grabs.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

He will.  But, how much is that going to move the story forward?  And even if the series could end in 7 books, which seems unlikely, how long or ever will it take for the final book to come out?  How much will reaction to the show's ending influence the author on his own ending, some, none?  Who knows.  It's an unfortunate situation all around.

I think from what they are saying, it's more like they went their separate ways:

"Luckily we've had a lot of talks with George, we know where he's going. We know the end point, and we're hoping that, you know, that end point will be very much in keeping with the spirit of the books."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcy-EhkHXnE

Benioff: We’ve had a lot of conversations with George, and he makes a lot of stuff up as he’s writing it. Even while we talk to him about the ending, it doesn’t mean that that ending that he has currently conceived is going to be the ending when he eventually writes it.

Weiss: He figures a lot of this stuff as he goes. He always says he’s a gardener, not an architect.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/game-of-thrones-ending-season-5-producers-interview-1201469516/

Edited by Le Cygne

George RR Martin WILL NOT FINISH ASOIAF. It took him 5 years to complete A Feast for Crows, 6 years to complete A dance With Dragons. I don't think we will see The Winds of Winter before the end of this year or it would have been announced by now. We can expect it by early 2018 hopefully. It would likely take 8 years to complete a Dream of Spring. It is highly unrealistic to think he will still be in good health but by that point, I probably won't care anyway and I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't. 

But there are a few things we can gleam from the show that will happen in the books as well albeit in different circumstances. 

Stannis' sacrifice of Shireeen, Hodor's origin story, Jon's resurrection, Jon becomes the King of the North, Dany sails for Westeros with Tyrion, Arya returning to Westeros, Hound being alive, Benjen being alive. All that stuff will almost certainly happen in the books. 

Cersei burning down King's Landing, Jon expedition with men beyond the wall, Barristan Selmy's death has a high chance of happening but not guaranteed. 

Jon, Dany boatsex probably won't happen though so don't get your hopes up there. 

This is an interesting thread, with a lot of good thinking by posters on a lot of points, and I believe a lot of the inferences probably are both reasonable and accurate.

Having said that...I think the number of things we can REALLY know for sure is actually quite small.  As I understand it, GRRM has only told the showrunners a very limited number of fairly specific things, a lot of which relates to the endings of major characters.

Beyond that...we already know that the show has made numerous divergences from the books.  In fact, at least one appears to be QUITE major, since, as I recall, GRRM has publicly said the show has killed off at least one character who still has a major role to play in the books (that one statement by GRRM could throw many of the opinions in this thread into total chaos)

But hey, I'm not saying who's right and who's wrong here, cuz I just don't know.  In fact, as I've basically said, LOTS of the stuff in this thread seems extremely reasonable to me.  But...I think what we can really "know" with great confidence is actually a VERY small number of things, including, in my opinion, quite possibly ONLY the things that have been expressly confirmed as canon.

Edited by Cron