Acrophobia 29 - ASOIAF Dating - ... AND THE WINNER IS ...

Julia H.

One of my ideas:

First Law as Monarch (based on Tommen's amusing intention to outlaw beets) - a hypothetical king or queen is named: what would be his/her first new law? For example, if Westeros crowned Arya Stark as Queen, what first new law would she pass?

There are some very good theme ideas here. I especially like the idea of New House Words and First Law. I would love to do those and I would enjoy all the others as well. I have also had an idea for a while, which is writing summaries of longer texts in the books, such as songs (e.g. The Dornishman's Wife) and other texts (like the Pink Letter or the legend about the birth of dragons). 

The results are coming in a few minutes.

ROUND SEVEN 

VOTES

lil’ghost: 3- 7 -1

Raisin’ Bran:  3 – 5 – 6

Castellan: 3 – 6 – 1

rocksniffer:  6 – 3 – 1

Lady Blizzardborn:  3 – 1 – 6

Dolorous Gabe:  7 – 1 – 2

Howlin’ Howland: 3 – 1 – 7

Fragile Bird: 4 – 2 - 1

AUTHORS AND RESULTS

1. Just an incestuous matriarch exploring.   Raisin’ Bran 1+1+1+1+1+2+2+2+1=12

2. Celebrated enforcer, rich, secretly enjoys incest.  Howlin’ Howland 1+1+1+2=5

3. Clawless expiating rogue seeks ethical intimacy.  Dolorous Gabe  1+1+3+3+3+2+3+3+4=23

4. Jeweled, acock, illustrious, malkinesque empress.  rocksniffer  1+1+3=5

5. Junior Adonis? I'm marvelously eager.  Lady Blizzardborn 1+1+2=4

6. *Cannot ever replace sister - eternal inamorata*  Fragile Bird 1+1+1+2+3+1=9

7. Just admire intensely, massage ego.  Castellan   1+1+2+3+1=8

FINAL RESULTS

1. Dolorous Gabe: 69+23=92

2. Fragile Bird: 77+9=86

3. Howlin’ Howland: 53+5=58

4. Lady Blizzardborn: 48+4=52

5. rocksniffer: 45+5=50

6. Castellan: 41+8=49

7. Raisin’ Bran: 26+12=38

8. The Bastards Giant Friend: 27  

9. Skies: 13

10. lil’ ghost: 3+1=4 (For voting)

Well, Dolorous Gabe did it again! With a spectacular landslide victory (of five first-place votes) in the last round, he became the winner of the 29th Acrophobia game. Congratulations, Gabe, well done! :cheers: Congratulations to Fragile Bird as well, who was a formidable opponent throughout the game, and finished in second place. The duel :fencing: of these two players (who between them acquired nearly 40% of all the points) was very exciting to watch from round to round, but I must say that everyone had fabulous entries, and the general standard of the game was very high. :bowdown: Thank you all for taking part in this game and I'm already looking forward to the next one!

Please, check the points, as always. :)

:blush:

Thanks for the votes!

Well played everyone, especially my winged nemesis. The war rages on even if this battle is done.

Also well played specifically to Castellan and Raisin Bran in the final round. I decided yours were the best and changed my mind several times over which to place 1st.

And of course, many many thanks to our wonderful host!

grudging cheers to all who beat me...and to those who didn't ...what's wrong with you people! i did my best to come in dead last and still middle of the road...

i see no one but our dear Bird bothered to discover the double meaning of my wonderful last entry...

let me enlighten y'all

jeweled = the lannister necklace she wears

acock - defiant which she certainly is..as well as often wishing she had a cock

malkinesque = catlike, but also can mean a slut...and i found it funny that she was probably too ignorant to know that...

and of course illustrious and empress are just her own ego being expressed

i am a deep thinker drinker of knowledge.

:smoking:

4 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

grudging cheers to all who beat me...and to those who didn't ...what's wrong with you people! i did my best to come in dead last and still middle of the road...

i see no one but our dear Bird bothered to discover the double meaning of my wonderful last entry...

let me enlighten y'all

jeweled = the lannister necklace she wears

acock - defiant which she certainly is..as well as often wishing she had a cock

malkinesque = catlike, but also can mean a slut...and i found it funny that she was probably too ignorant to know that...

and of course illustrious and empress are just her own ego being expressed

i am a deep thinker drinker of knowledge.

You are correct it was a lot better than I realised. Had I looked up malkin perhaps I would have voted for it. But quite frankly I was exhausted from the effort of getting lower scores than you. It is not easy!

Congratulations to DG, FB and everyone who played.

After having had some time to think about it, I have an additional comment to make.

Either all the voting should be in secret or all the voting should be public. I was hesitant to make this comment because it makes me sound like a sore loser, which would be BS. I do feel hard done by, though, because if the voting was secret in the other rounds, perhaps I too would have taken 5 firsts in a round, or another player would have taken 5 firsts in a round, and the dynamic of the game would have changed.

The quality of our games has been very high, and people make comments about having a hard time choosing and giving honourable mentions to other entries in the round. I don't doubt that people are influenced by other votes, that someone looks and sees entry 1 has three firsts already so they decide to vote for entry 2 for first and 1 for second or even not at all. Or says there are 4 strong entries and number 3 has no votes yet so I'll pick them. Or looks at who player X voted for and re-reads the entries and realizes they missed something and change their pick.

If the idea was to have a 'pure' vote uninfluenced by other voters, I'd be happy to play the game that way, the whole game. Doing only the last round that way is unfair, IMHO.

And that's not to take anything away from DG's wonderful entry, which could easily have won in a public vote too.

Fragile Bird,

I don't agree with the assessment that the secret voting was unfair. In my opinion, unfair is something that gives a player an advantage that is not based on the criteria of the game. It cannot be said about our secret voting, as everyone had the same chance to gain points based exclusively on how much the entry was liked by other players, which is really the only official criterion in this game. Open voting, as you describe it in your post, can be much more unfair, and it is interesting to see once or twice how players vote when they cannot be influenced by other votes.

In addition, I don't see how the the fairness of the voting is affected by the fact that the secret voting happened only in the last round. Every player was treated in the same way every round, it's not like some players had to vote openly and others secretly. I am not even the first host who has made the voting secret in the last round. It has been done before and then no one complained on the board that it was unfair (I, as a player, certainly did not consider it unfair at the time), so on the basis of that precedent, I do find this complaint a bit strange now.

In my opinion, if anyone has reservations about fair play, it is best to bring up the issue immediately on the board and explain why that particular decision or change is unacceptable or unfair, instead of waiting until the game ends, the results are posted and there is no way to change anything. 

Thank you for pointing out the disadvantages of making the votes secret and for letting me know that in your opinion this circumstance actually influenced the results, but I still find the accusation of being unfair absolutely, well, unfair

For what it's worth, I don't mind a discussion about this taking place and hearing other opinions.

I like the secret voting in the final round but then it has gone my way on both occasions so I feel I have no place in the discussion.

Sniffer, as a matter of interest I did look up malkinesque and found no definitions, just some vague usages on random blogs and forums. I came to guess it was probably a reference from the real world and discounted yours for that reason. Just to explain my thinking.

I do make the effort to understand each entry. Yours was clever, no doubt, but in my experience in this game cleverness doesn't always play that well in the voting.

I remember an entry I put in during the theories game a long time ago, for the Jojen Paste round, describing the theory as "indigestible pabulum", which I maintain was the cleverest double meaning I have ever come up with and it got the same points as yours in this last round - one 1st place vote and nothing else.

One thing I believe I have learned is that a lack of flow can kill an entry. Communication of a good idea is the most important, then flow, then humour, then adherence to theme, then cleverness. If you can tick off all five you've got a winner.

:grouphug:

On Invalid Date at 4:40 PM, Dolorous Gabe said:

One thing I believe I have learned is that a lack of flow can kill an entry. Communication of a good idea is the most important, then flow, then humour, then adherence to theme, then cleverness. If you can tick off all five you've got a winner.

That may be the most true assessment as to what creates a winner I have seen. I know I have at times focused on flow and humor (or theme). Rarely have I had entries that I would consider clever. And if I somehow did manage to submit an entry comprising all five of your chief virtues, then it would have been by accident.

On 7/1/2017 at 7:31 PM, Castellan said:

You are correct it was a lot better than I realised. Had I looked up malkin perhaps I would have voted for it. But quite frankly I was exhausted from the effort of getting lower scores than you. It is not easy!

Congratulations to DG, FB and everyone who played.

hahhahaahhhaha yes it is hard to beat me to the bottom...

On 7/2/2017 at 7:40 PM, Dolorous Gabe said:

Sniffer, as a matter of interest I did look up malkinesque and found no definitions, just some vague usages on random blogs and forums. I came to guess it was probably a reference from the real world and discounted yours for that reason. Just to explain my thinking.

I do make the effort to understand each entry. Yours was clever, no doubt, but in my experience in this game cleverness doesn't always play that well in the voting.

I remember an entry I put in during the theories game a long time ago, for the Jojen Paste round, describing the theory as "indigestible pabulum", which I maintain was the cleverest double meaning I have ever come up with and it got the same points as yours in this last round - one 1st place vote and nothing else.

:grouphug:

well i discovered it meant cat or slut...and i liked both but i am with you on the points...flow is critical...

oh well i am going to keep  working t win or lose,,,middle road is tiring...

I experimented with my house words idea, by randomly generating letters and picking a character, and I couldn't do it. Granted I may have just been a bit uninspired and didn't try for a very long time. I tried 3 letter and 5 letter combos, given that house words tend to be short. I suppose we could have more letters make it 'first draft of house words', i still think it may be very hard. I'm going back to try again.

On the issue of secret voting I agree with Fragile Bird.  When I vote I try to make a conscious effort to not take into account how I know other people have voted, I'm not sure how successful I am.  I agree with Bird that secret voting probably increases the odds of a blowout vote, and if you're in the last round of the game and nursing a lead a blowout vote is a bad thing.  So a rules change towards a secret vote in the last round of the game probably hurts the player nursing the lead, but in this case I don't think it mattered 'cause Gabe's entry was elite.  Going forward I would prefer if there aren't any rules changes mid-game.

As for the next game, the show starts up in less than two weeks and connecting to the site is usually tough while the show is airing, I think a break for the duration of the show would be in order.

I think it could be debatable how much a difference a private vote makes to the likelihood of a "blowout" vote. I'd point to the history of Acrophilia fave voting held in private as evidence that any difference is minimal.

My issue with the public vote is with how much can be revealed to a rival if you vote first.

An alternative final round system could be to ask those players with a chance of winning to vote first in private, then open up the public vote to the rest?

Thanks for the "elite" comment, H'H :blush:

I may be able to host if we wait for the show to be over. I feel like I should host next.

On 7/4/2017 at 9:40 PM, Howlin' Howland said:

On the issue of secret voting I agree with Fragile Bird.  When I vote I try to make a conscious effort to not take into account how I know other people have voted, I'm not sure how successful I am.  I agree with Bird that secret voting probably increases the odds of a blowout vote, and if you're in the last round of the game and nursing a lead a blowout vote is a bad thing.  So a rules change towards a secret vote in the last round of the game probably hurts the player nursing the lead, but in this case I don't think it mattered 'cause Gabe's entry was elite.  Going forward I would prefer if there aren't any rules changes mid-game.

As for the next game, the show starts up in less than two weeks and connecting to the site is usually tough while the show is airing, I think a break for the duration of the show would be in order.

i agree with Howlin...we need to wait til show is over

On 7/5/2017 at 6:20 PM, Dolorous Gabe said:

I think it could be debatable how much a difference a private vote makes to the likelihood of a "blowout" vote. I'd point to the history of Acrophilia fave voting held in private as evidence that any difference is minimal.

My issue with the public vote is with how much can be revealed to a rival if you vote first.

An alternative final round system could be to ask those players with a chance of winning to vote first in private, then open up the public vote to the rest?

Thanks for the "elite" comment, H'H :blush:

I may be able to host if we wait for the show to be over. I feel like I should host next.

i agree with this, didn't the winner used to host following game...

50 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

i agree with this, didn't the winner used to host following game...

It's never really been a rule as such but many, including myself, have often felt compelled to do so (in my case I did many Acrophilia games instead). I was actually offering to bring back Acrophilia instead but I will happily do the next Acrophobia if there is more demand that I host that. Philia will have to wait if I am doing the next Phobia.

Presumably Season 7 won't finish till around early September? Is it 7 episodes this time?

Archived