Acrophobia 29 - ASOIAF Dating - ... AND THE WINNER IS ...

Julia H.

Welcome to the 29th game of Acrophobia!

Love and relationships are as important in the world of ASOIAF as in ours, yet, finding your significant other is not always easy. (No, I don't mean any of those "Others" here.) What would they do if they had the benefit of modern dating sites? Well, let's find out. In this game you will explore how various characters would introduce themselves on a dating site in the hope of attracting the attention of the right audience.

The rules

Spoiler

1.     There will be 7 rounds.

2.     Each round will begin with a new name and a new acronym.  The objective is to create a self-introduction for the character, using only the letters provided in the acronym.

3.     Entries must only contain words that begin with the letters the acronym provided; therefore, you may not stick in a word like a, the, of, and, etc to make your words make sense. 

Abbreviations are allowed, for which a list has been provided below. You can also create new ones - at your own risk. The first letter of the abbreviation must correspond to the acronym. On the whole, however, please, use English first and foremost, rather than Netspeak, to make it easier for everyone (including me) to understand you. 

4.     Deadlines for each round will be detailed as each round arrives. I will give 48-72 hours at the very least and probably more. I will also adhere to the principle first proposed by the famed European scholar yomi, where the entries will still be accepted after the submission deadlines, but without giving the late entrants their point for submitting.

5.     Entries are to be messaged to me through a PM. Title your message Acrophobia 29 - <your Board Name here> and keep all communication to the same messaging thread. You may edit/change your entry until the deadline, but it must be done by sending a new message.

6.     When all submissions are in, they will be posted on the thread. Entries are to be anonymous, so do not reveal which is your entry. Revealed entries will be disqualified.

7.     Players will then have time to vote for their favourite 3 or 4 entries. All votes are public. Submit your votes in a comment on the game thread and make it clear which entry is first, which entry is second, and which entry is third and fourth, in your opinion.

You may not vote for your own entry. You may change your vote up until the voting window closes by editing your original voting post.

8.     After submissions of one round are over, voting and the submissions for a new round will run simultaneously.

9.     Points will be awarded as follows:

1 point for a submission

1 point for voting

3 points for someone choosing your answer as their top choice

2 points for someone choosing your answer as their second choice

1 point for someone choosing your answer as their third choice and any additional places

4 points for having the answer with the most 1st place votes (ties get 2 points each)

Points will be added across all the rounds and the player with the most points will be the winner.

10.  You may join at any time, both during the submission and voting.

Abbreviations

Spoiler

At the top of the list, you will find common abbreviations used in social media, and lower down is a list that had been compiled for this forum.

AFAIK As far as I know
AFAIR as far as I recall/remember
AKA also known as
AMA Ask me anything
ASAP as soon as possible
BAE Before anyone else
BFF Best friends forever
BKA better known as
BPR bitter, petty, and resentful
BRB Be right back
BTW By the way
DIY do it yourself
DM Doesn't Matter/Don't Mind
DM Direct Message
FAQ Frequently Asked Questions
FBO Facebook Official
FF Follow Friday
FOMO Fear of missing out
FTF face to face
FTR for the record
fttb for the time being
FTW For the win
FWIW for what it’s worth
FYI For your information
GI;GO garbage in; garbage out
GTG Got to go
ICYMI In case you missed it
IDC I don't care
IDK I don't know
IIRC if I recall correctly
ILY I love you
IM!HO in myunhumble opinion
IMHO In my humble opinion
IMO In my opinion
IRL In real life
JK Just kidding
LMAO Laughing my a** off
LMFAO laughed my f*****g ass off
LMK Let me know
LOL Laughing out loud
MOTU Master of the Universe
NBD No big deal
NM Not much
Noob someone new to something; a neophyte
NSFW Not safe for work
NVM Nevermind
OH Overheard
OMG Oh my God
OMW On my way
OOC out of character
PODT Photo of the day
PPL People
QOTD Quote of the day
ROFL Rolling on the floor laughing
ROTFL Rolling on the floor laughing
SMH Shaking my Head
TBH To be honest
TBPH to be perfectly honest
TBT Throwback Thursday
TL:DR Too Long; Didn't Read
TMI too much information
WTF What the F**k
YOLO You only live once
YW you're welcome
Forum Specific  
3EC Three-Eyed Crow
7K Seven Kingdoms
A+J=J+C the hypothesis that Aerys and Joanna are Jaime and Cersei’s parents
A+J=T the hypothesis that Aerys and Joanna are Tyrion’s parents
AA Azor Ahai
AAR Azor Ahai Reborn
ACOK A Clash of Kings; second novel in the series
AD Ashara Dayne OR Arthur Dayne
ADOS A Dream of Spring; seventh and expected final novel in the series (unpublished as of this writing in April 2012)
ADWD A Dance with Dragons; fifth novel in the series
AFFC A Feast for Crows; fourth novel in the series
AGOT A Game Of Thrones; first novel in the series
AOTK Arms of the Kraken
ASOIAF A Song of Ice and Fire; the name of the whole legendarium / saga / universe
ASOS A Storm of Swords; third novel in the series
AWOIAF A World of Ice and Fire (the official app)
B+A=J the hypothesis that Brandon Stark and Ashara Dayne are Jon’s parents
B=AA Brienne is Azor Ahai
BB Brazen Beasts
BC Brave Companions (aka Bloody Mummers)
BD Beric Dondarion
BF usuallyBrynden “Blackfish” Tully;sometimesBlackfyre
BM Bloody Mummers (aka Brave Companions)
BotBW (or BBW) Battle of the Blackwater
BOTD Blood of the Dragon
BR Bloodraven (also the initials of his real name,BryndenRivers)
BtB Bran the Builder
BWB Brotherhood Without Banners
BWOB Brotherhood Without Banners
CB Castle Black
CH Coldhands
COK A Clash of Kings; second novel in the series
COTF Children of the Forest
CPJT crackpot joke theory
CR Casterly Rock
CRTS Characters Representing The Seven
CS Craster's Sons
D&D David Benioff and Dan Weiss, creators of theHBOseries (in the context of the forums; however in popular culture,D&amp;Dusually refers to theDungeons and Dragonsfantasy rôle-playing game created by Gary Gygax)
D&E Dunk and Egg
D=B+A the hyphothesis that Brandon Stark and Ashara Dayne are the parents of Darkstar, Ser Gerold Dayne
DM Deepwood Motte
DOS A Dream of Spring; seventh and expected final novel in the series (unpublished as of this writing in April 2012)
DotD Dance of the Dragons
DotD2 Second Dance of the Dragons
DS Dark Star, Gerold Dayne
DS Dark Sister
DWD A Dance with Dragons; fifth novel in the series
EG Euron Greyjoy
ETA edited to add (in the context of forums; however, in real life usually refers toEstimated Time of Arrival)
EW Eastwatch
(f)Aegon the Aegon with Jon Connington is an imposter - not the true born son of Rhaegar & Elia
(f)Arya Jeyne Poole faking Arya
FFC A Feast For Crows; fourth novel in the series
floob flood of noobs [see noob]
FM either“First Men”or“Faceless Man/Men”or"Faith Militant"
FOFM Fist of the First Men
FOTFM Fist of the First Men
FUCK for unlawful carnal knowledge (I include this because it's a favorite ASOIAF word. This version of fuck as an acronym was commonly heard on college campuses in the 60's and 70's.)
FW Faceless Woman
GC Golden Company
GG The Green Grace
GM Grand Maester,orGreat Masters (of Meereen)orGood Masters (of Astapor)orGreen Men [all depending on the context they are mentioned in I guess.]
GNC Great Northern Conspiracy
GOHH the Ghost of High Heart
GOT Game of Thrones;name of the television serial adapted from the books
GRRM George R.R. Martin; author ofA Song of Ice and Fire
GS greenseers
GW Grey Wind, Robb’s direwolf
HBO Home Box Office; name of the television network/channel that produced theTVseries
HG Highgarden
HM Hooded Man
HM=C Hooded man is Septon Chayle
HM=T Hooded Man is Theon
HOBAW House of Black and White
HOBW House of Black and White
HOTU House of the Undying
HR Howland Reed
HS High Septon (orHigh Sparrow)
HtH Harry the Heir
IB the ironborn
IBB the Iron Bank of Bravos
IDHTBIFOM I don't have the book in front of me
IOF Isle of Faces
IT Iron Throne
JC Jon Connington
JonCon Jon Connington
KBTW King Beyond the Wall
KG Kingsguard
KITN King in the North
KL King’s Landing
KLT Knight of the Laughing Tree
KM Kindly Man, priest of the Many-Faced God
KOTLT Knight of the Laughing Tree
KOTP King of the Page, term jokingly used to refer to the first person to post on the games page
KS Kingslayer
LB Lightbringer
LC Lord Commander;rarely, Longclaw
LCKG Lord Commander of the King’s Guard
LCNW Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch
LF Littlefinger
LH Last Hero
LN 2.0 the second Long Night, invasion of the Others
LOAW Land of Always Winter
LOL either the Lord of Light,or else hah-hah hee-hee hoo-hoo
LS Lady (Catelyn) Stark,or her alias Lady Stoneheart
Mel Melisandre..
MMD Mirri Maz Duur
MOC Master of Coin
MTM Maelys the Monstrous
N+A=J the hypothesis that Ned and Ashara are Jon’s parents
N+W=J the hypothesis that Ned and Wylla are Jon’s parents
NCW Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (the actor)
NedBert Ned & Robert bromance
NF Nightfort
NK Night’s King
NOTW north of the Wall
NQ Night's Queen
NW Night’s Watch
OK Oathkeeper
OP original posting/poster
OT off topic
OTOH on the other hand
PL Pink Letter, the letter sent by[insert personal choice here]to Jon at the end of aDwD
POTD Path of the Dragon
POV point of view, viewpoint
PTP Pawn to Player
PTWP Prince That Was Promised
PW Purple Wedding
PWWP Prince Who Was Promised
QI Quiet Isle
QoLaB Queen of Love and Beauty
QOT Queen of Thorns, Lady Olenna Tyrell
QOTP Queen of the Page, term jokingly used to refer to the first person to post on the games page
R+L=J the hypothesis that Rhaegar and Lyanna are Jon’s parents
RS Robert Strong (unGregor Clegane)
RW Red Wedding
S&S The Sword & Stars, The Faith Militant
SanRion Sansa [stark] + Tyrion [Lannister]
SanSan Sansa [stark] + Sandor [Clegane] as a hypothetical couple
SASE self addressed stamped envelope
SB shadow baby or Slaver's Bay
SE Storm's End
SFW safe for work, can be viewed at work without embarrassment.
SOIAF Song of Ice and Fire
SOKL Sack of King's Landing.
SOS A Storm of Swords; third novel in the series
SOTH Sons of the Harpy
SOTM Sword of the Morning
SOTW south of the Wall
SSM So Spake Martin, a compendium of things that the author has said in writing
ST Shadow Tower
Stavos Stannis/Davos bromance
STMTW the Stallion That Mounts the World
Storm A Storm of Swords; third novel in the series
SWW She-wolves of Winterfell; fourth Dunk and Egg novella (unpublished as of this writing, April 2012)
TaH Tourney at Harrenhal
TD Theon Durden theory:http://asoiaf.wester...-winterfell-is/
TEC Three-Eyed Crow
TGOHH the Ghost of High Heart
THK The Hedge Knight; first Dunk and Egg novella
THOTU the House of the Undying
TKMNN “They killed my n***** Ned” [refers to a famous YouTube video of a viewer’s reaction to the show]
TKoSK The Knight of Seven Kingdoms - three Dunk and Egg stories published in one book
TKOTLT the Knight of the Laughing Tree
TMK The Mystery Knight; third Dunk and Egg novella
TOJ Tower of Joy
TOS Tower of Sorrow
TotH Tower of the Hand
TOTH the Tower of the Hand website
TPATQ The Princess & The Queen
TPTWP the Prince That Was Promised
TPWWP the Prince Who Was Promised
Trotw the rest of the world
TRP the Rogue Prince
TSOIAF the song of ice and fire
TSOTH the Sons of the Harpy
TSS The Sworn Sword; second Dunk and Egg novella
TSTMTW the Stallion That Mounts the World
TTTNE The Thread That Never Ends
TWOIAF The World of Ice and Fire (the World Book)
TWOP the Television Without Pity website
TWOW The Winds Of Winter; sixth novel in the series (unpublished as of this writing in April 2012)
VS Valyrian steel
W5K War of the Five Kings
WB The World of Ice and Fire (the World Book)
WF Winterfell
WH White Harbour
WM Wyman Manderly
WOS (Cersei's) walk of shame
WOT5K War of the Five Kings
WOT9PK War of the Ninepenny Kings
WOTFK War of the Five Kings
WOW The Winds Of Winter; sixth novel in the series (unpublished as of this writing in April 2012)
WW either Widow’s Wail or White Walkers
X+Y=Z in general form, the hypothesis that X and Y are really Z’s parents
XXD Xaro Xhoan Daxos
YG Young Griff
YMBQ younger, more beautiful queen
YMMV your mileage may vary

I'm planning to start the first round on Sunday. Sign up and have fun!

Thanks Julia, keen to play. 

However I don't understand rule 3:

Abbreviations are allowed, for which a list has been provided below. You can also create new ones - at your own risk. The first letter of the abbreviation must correspond to the acronym, but the whole abbreviation is counted for characters.  (e.g. WTF requires a W in the acronym and counts as 3 characters).

When did we ever count characters in words? I mean if the acronym is W A P H J U and I begin with WTF are people ... Does WTF count as one word, just like 'are' and 'people'?

6 hours ago, Castellan said:

Thanks Julia, keen to play. 

However I don't understand rule 3:

Abbreviations are allowed, for which a list has been provided below. You can also create new ones - at your own risk. The first letter of the abbreviation must correspond to the acronym, but the whole abbreviation is counted for characters.  (e.g. WTF requires a W in the acronym and counts as 3 characters).

When did we ever count characters in words? I mean if the acronym is W A P H J U and I begin with WTF are people ... Does WTF count as one word, just like 'are' and 'people'?

Sorry, I copied the rules in a hurry from the tweeting game, where characters were counted, and I forgot to delete this part. Of course, we are not counting the characters in this game. Thanks for calling my attention to this mistake! 

Welcome! :grouphug:

We have several players who have announced their interest in this game. If they all play, we will have enough players to start. Perhaps other players will join, too. 

Without further ado, let the first round begin!

ROUND ONE

The very first person to take advantage of the appearance of a dating website in Westeros (or even Essos) would undoubtedly be Tyrion Lannister. How would he approach the situation? He might use his wit to show himself in the best possible light. He might refer to the main attraction of all Lannisters: power and wealth. Would he mention his physical defects? We know he wants girls to be prepared for who he is, so it’s possible, but he may also decide that this piece of information may wait.

Your task is to find out how Tyrion Lannister would introduce himself on a dating app.

Your acronym: O R I A S M A C S K A

Your deadline: 10. p.m. (Central European Time) on Thursday 18th May. (Extension is possible if necessary.)

If you are interested, don’t hesitate to join the game!

Let me know if you need extension. 

I have already received some really great entries! 

If you have sent several ideas, don't forget to tell me which one you want to use (or if you want me to choose). 

Good luck!

The original deadline is over, but since I couldn't answer PM's all day long (until now), I will give you some more time to make decisions (or new entries) and send them to me.

The new deadline is 6 a.m. (Central European Time) on Friday, 19th May (tomorrow). It is about six hours and a half from the present moment.  

ROUND ONE VOTING

1. Only real imp! A small man, a creative, skilled kisser, acrobat.

2. One rich, intelligent, admittedly short man, attractively crooked, seeks kind admirer.

3. Outrageously rich, intelligent, alcoholic seeks mate.  A certain sexual knowledge's appropriate.

4. Offering rare IMPortunity, AUTHENTICITY!!! Sociable men advertise charming smiles, knavish artifice.

5. Open Relationship! I'm A: (Somewhat) Married, Alcoholic, Condescending, Smart, Knobby, Auspicious....

6. Orphan refugee. Ideally am seeking maiden, a childhood sweetheart. Knowledge appreciated!

7. Oenophile runt. If a sexy "monster" appeals, consider seriously kinky association! 

8. Oh reverie, I am seeking my absent crofter spouse. Killer anguish!

Please vote for your favourite three entries until Wednesday 24th May at 8 p.m. (Central European Time).  

ROUND TWO

Everyone expected him to choose her. Yet, he chose the other one. The Fat One, for gold. So Fat Walda married Roose Bolton, and Fair Walda remained at home, unmarried. She was disappointed. Very disappointed. Then came the Red Wedding, and she immediately realized that it was the worst possible publicity for any Frey girls hoping to get married in future. On top of that, when she considered Roslin’s fate, she understood that the vain old man could not be trusted to secure her future anyway. As a result, she decided to take matters into her own hands. She registered on a dating website and introduced herself like this: ……………….. (Well, this part still has to be written, and that is exactly your task.)

Your acronym: C S I N I B A B A

Your deadline: Wednesday 24th May at 8 p.m. (Central European Time).   

Have fun!

First:     3. Outrageously rich, intelligent, alcoholic seeks mate.  A certain sexual knowledge's appropriate.

Second: 5. Open Relationship! I'm A: (Somewhat) Married, Alcoholic, Condescending, Smart, Knobby, Auspicious....

Third:     6. Orphan refugee. Ideally am seeking maiden, a childhood sweetheart. Knowledge appreciated! (this one made me kind of sad)

16 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

i submitted now we shall see if our glorious host will accept...

greetings my fair Castellan :bowdown:

:smoking:

Rocksniffer, I'm very glad to see you here again :grouphug:, but the entry you sent me was a bit puzzling. Could you take another look at your PM?

Archived