Favorite Video Game Console?

drawkcabi

I'm a retro gamer and it will show, but all consoles count.

Top 10 Video Game Consoles Of All Time:

1. NES
  2. Sega Genesis/Mega Drive
  3. Atari 2600/VCS
  4. SNES
  5. Nintendo Gameboy
  6. Nintendo 64
  7. Turbo Grafx 16/Turbo Express/PC Engine
  8. Colecovision
  9. Atari 400/800
  10. Sega Master System

Honorable Mentions:

Pong

Intellivision

Vectrex

Magnavox Odyssey II

Nintendo Wii

Atari Lynx

Sega Game Gear

I'll always be partial to the SNES. Technically the NES was my first system but the SNES was the first one where I played games that like...had a real plot and saved your progress. 

I also have a soft spot for the Game Boy Advance. It was aaalmost a portable SNES and had it's own library of great games. Plus it was the only console I ever programmed for. Though it was a pain in the ass as I had never used assembly before. It was still really gratifying to see your shitty little homebrew game boot up on an actual Nintendo portable. 

PS3 was the biggest jump in technology from the previous generation. PS3 and PS4 are pretty similar but PS3 was a huge jump from PS2. So I'm going PS3 number 1.

Number 2 - Nintendo 64 great system with endless great games.

Number 3 - NES, brought back home gaming with a vengeance after the Atari collapse.

Those are the only 3 I find remarkably more notable than the rest.

SNES hands down. Nothing else even comes close. Dreamcast in second. DS 3rd, NES 4th, Game Boy Advance 5th, Game Boy/Game Boy Color 6th, everything after that in a distant rear view mirror.

Was introduced to video games, and learned to love them on the SNES so hard to argue with that. The PS and PS2 were influential transitions for me. The first time I played Syphon Filter was eye-opening. Gameboy had Pokemon and 007. The Xbox 360 was my first experience playing online games with friends which had a strong hold over me. SNES, to answer OP, but every system I've bought over the years has given me something to fanboy over.

For Old School, I have to go with SNES. That was a game changer in that it was the first system that had games looked almost bang on like arcade games. It was a huge jump in quality when it came out. Colecovision was a close second for this, but it never had anywhere near the library that SNES delivered.

The next jump for me was PS One. Granted, it could be a pain in the ass in regards to reading and loading discs, but this was another huge jump in my estimation. It opened up a fuckton of genres and computer ports and whatnot that the old cartridge systems couldn't deliver. Also opened up piracy to console gamers in a way that wasn't possible with the old systems. Another true game changer.   

Old school is Pong, Intelivision, ColecoVision, and Atari, not SNES.  The Intelivision was the first console I was given, it had an additional voice synth device that was only supported by a few games, but I had all of them.  Atari was a decent system, and the famous Donkey Kong was on the Coleco system, but the Intelivision had some of the first role playing and other adventure type games, and IMO was the superior system of the three.  It also feature a controller with more than just a couple buttons, it had 4 buttons, and a full telephone type keypad which you could slip plastic control cards over that came with the games, giving thousands of possible control combos/etc.

Once PC gaming came around with the Commodore 64, I've only bought consoles for specific games that aren't available on PC.  The "NHL" hockey game series on Sega Genesis comes to mind, and of course the Halo series and some others like that.

I wouldn't argue with anyone placing the SNES as the number 1 on a list, that's for sure, it truly put console gaming on the "map".  In fact the OP post pretty much IMO says it all.

7 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

Old school is Pong, Intelivision, ColecoVision, and Atari, not SNES.  The Intelivision was the first console I was given, it had an additional voice synth device that was only supported by a few games, but I had all of them.  Atari was a decent system, and the famous Donkey Kong was on the Coleco system, but the Intelivision had some of the first role playing and other adventure type games, and IMO was the superior system of the three.  It also feature a controller with more than just a couple buttons, it had 4 buttons, and a full telephone type keypad which you could slip plastic control cards over that came with the games, giving thousands of possible control combos/etc.

Okay, that's fair. I guess I mean to say that the biggest jump in home consoles for my money was from 8k to SNES. I think the SNES was the first home console that could be realistically compared to Arcade.

1. PC - Master Race bitches

2. SNES - Just for the pure quality of the titles and the massive amount of time I spent playing them. It also represented a huge graphical and quality jump from the NES. There seemed top be a lot fewer just randomly crap titles that were released on the SNES as if Nintendo had much stricter quality control at the time.

3. N64 - I spent waaaaaay too much time playing Ocarina, Goldeneye, Mario Kart, and Smash Brothers. The amount of games was actually not that great (especially compared to the PS1, which I never owned), but it had some absolutely stellar games.

4. NES - Lots of classics but also lots of dross

5. X-Box 360 - The X-Box had a pretty stellar lineup of games, a great controller (shut up), and it allowed me to play online with friends, bringing back the party-style aspect of consoles... just without the pesky problem of having to have everyone in the same building. I also think both this and the PS3 represented a bigger jump in capabilities than the PS2 ultimately did, with online play included as a default option. The 360 and PS3 era really changed how consoles were both perceived and marketed... for better and for worse. 

6. Sega: Genesis - I liked the Sonic games quite a bit and some other random games I can't recall, but the Genesis just never grabbed me as much as the Nintendo systems.

7. PS2 - Honestly, I never really cared for the PS2 all that much. It had a few nice exclusives, but I didn't really care for the controller and most of the games didn't really appeal to me for some reason. Also, I might be slightly blaming it for the start of the console-ification of PC games that began happening around its release. This would've been a very impressive piece of hardware were I not a total PC gamer junkie at the time, but unfortunately the graphical fidelity and breadth of titles just didn't impress. It also did not help that it didn't have quite as many fun, party-style games that Nintendo was excelling at at the time.

8. Gamecube - Love Smash Brothers and the Mario Kart. Zelda was okay too, but I never finished it. Aside from that? Uhhhh... this was a perfect example of Nintendo being way behind the curve.

On 5/12/2017 at 6:27 PM, drawkcabi said:

I'm a retro gamer and it will show, but all consoles count.

I thought I was the only one in these parts!

I'll rank in my order of fondness, and not necessarily where I think they fall in the grand scheme of things.

1. Atari 2600.  My earliest memories of gaming, circa early 80's when I was 4 or 5 years old.  I burned up so many hours playing Asteroids, Missile Command, Space Invaders, Basketball, Pitfall, Battlezone, Night Driver, The Empire Strikes Back, Pac-Man (the blocky Atari version), etc.  

2. Commodore 64:  My first computer at the ripe age of 8ish, where I learned some basic BASIC (and also developed my distaste for all things coding), and was the first time I could play classics from the arcade that looked exactly like the arcade version.  Too many games to list here, but it was my first introduction to RPG's through the likes of Wizardry and Ultima series, and Zork was a favorite too.

3. NES:  All the rage if you were child of the late 80's early 90's.  
4. Gameboy
5. PS2
6. PS3
7. SNES
8. Sega Genesis
9. X-Box
10. PS4

PS1 is definitely my favorite.  Resident Evil & Final Fantasy is all I really need, but there were SO many other great games and genres that were initially developed on the PS1 that it's hard for me to not say it was the greatest of all time.  It was such a big jump from the 16 bit games too.

I think I have to say XBOX 360; I got it in 2009 and it was the console that re-introduced me to gaming after taking a 6-7 year break where the only games I played were Civilization III & IV. And there were so many good games too.

After that, probably SNES and then the PS1. I also had an N64 and a PS2 (for a couple years) but they didn't do much for me.

If the original Gameboy counts, I had fun with that too.

IIRC, those are the only consoles I've owned; though I've played others.

These days I'm all about the PC though. And it doesn't quite have the nostalgia aspect for me that those consoles did (I did play Dune II, Myst, and other games way back when; but that's basically a completely different machine), but there's so much that's fantastic about it.

2 hours ago, aceluby said:

PS1 is definitely my favorite.  Resident Evil & Final Fantasy is all I really need, but there were SO many other great games and genres that were initially developed on the PS1 that it's hard for me to not say it was the greatest of all time.  It was such a big jump from the 16 bit games too.

PS1 games generally haven't really aged well though, graphically at least. For example it's so hard for me to believe that the original Resident Evil ever scared me. Though I've been spoiled by the remake. I mean you could say the same thing about a lot of the retro systems but once you make the jump to 3D I find it a lot more off putting. 

I find the n64 games have aged the best among the older systems. Ur still going to be like "holy fuk these graphic are shit" but the button response and comfortable fluid movement was ahead of its time. I was playing 2k allstar baseball on it the other day it wasn't that bad. An mario kart 64 will never stop being fun. And Mario Party is still great and still underrated.

Nothing on ps1 or PS2 or SNES is still playable to me. I can play a few things on NES still and Atari games are becoming rather fun in grandpa status but that's about it.

Archived