Favorite Video Game Console?

drawkcabi

2. Commodore 64:  My first computer at the ripe age of 8ish, where I learned some basic BASIC (and also developed my distaste for all things coding), and was the first time I could play classics from the arcade that looked exactly like the arcade version.  Too many games to list here, but it was my first introduction to RPG's through the likes of Wizardry and Ultima series, and Zork was a favorite too.

Here here.  I realize the thread is about console gaming, but when talking about retro/favorite consoles, it's difficult to have that conversation in a gaming context without talking about the first home gaming PCs.   I was of a similar age, around 11 when I got my first C64, and then I got the 128 which did nothing the 64 didn't do except look "cooler".  SO many great C64 games, it truly launched the PC gaming craze we're still in today, as the Vic20 or PET computer (I had the PET too, my first PC, it was in Star Trek Wrath of Khan, and my uncle owned the first Commodore store in Canada back in the 80s).  I still mess with an emulator on my modern gaming PCs, when feeling nostalgic for some of the great C64 games, but it just isn't the same.  I only wish I'd hung on to the old PCs and consoles I've had over the years, I only have the Intelivision left, and that was by fluke as it was packed away in a box of other important things.

Yeah I'm in the home computer club, having never really had a console until I bought a PS2 which I barely played.

Started off with a Spectrum , progressed straight to an Atari St and then an Amiga, and then just have always preferred PC games.

Theres just something about PC games that seem to have far more depth and require a bit more brainpower, and aren't fast paced. I prefer them. 

Thats not to say I don't like consoles, my mates SNES was a real joy and Super mario world is still one of the most perfect games ever made. 

He also got a N64 which had a number of brilliant games like Mario or Goldeneye that meant I was round his more than he wanted!

But when I think about all the amazing games I had on my early Atari and Pc it doesn't come close. 

Elite, carrier command, north and south, populous , sim city, theme park, theme hospital, dungeon master, barbarian.. I wish I could play them all now!

Yeah, I've enjoyed my fair share of console gaming, and besides NES/SNES, PS2 was great fun too with the FF games, GTA in 3D games, Kingdom Hearts, Tekken, Colin McRae and probably another bunch that I've forgotten. But none of that compares to the Quake series, the SC games, WC3 and DOTA :D

Eta: Now I really wish I had a PC and time to play it :(

I can still pick up and play almost any NES or N64 game.  These two also represent the console's that I played the most when I first got them.  So I have to give it a tie between the two.

I loved my PS1, it was the first thing I bought when I started working in high school (well, gas and insurance on the old truck I was being allowed to borrow).  But I thought I would replay FF7 a few years back and it was AWFUL.  Long cut scenes and lack of save points made it unplayable.  Jetmoto was still pretty cool but not as repayable as any mariokart.

Ps2 for me as it had gran turismo 4 the imo absolute peak of the GT series and the first time i played with a steering wheel. Will never forget thrashing around the nordschleife tuning cars for hours at a time.

PS1, for better or worse, got me re-hooked on video games. I'd gone about a decade between Commodore64 and PS1 without really playing many video games at home (Mike Tyson Punch Out on NES was the only game I played briefly in that hiatus).

So I guess I have to go PS1.

Once I went PS I was more or less hooked in to PS, so I've never really given Sega, Nintendo or Xbox much of a look. It's hard to say whether I prefer PS2 or 3, though I probably lean towards PS3 because the best PS3 games of its generation I probably view more fondly than the best PS2 games of its generation. 

SNES is still the best console of all time. The amount of high quality games on that console is staggering.

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid and Final Fantasy 3/6 are among the best games ever.

Archived