Robb Tully of Riverrun?

KarlDanski

I've had this idea in my head for a while. Robb is known for his honor, when he had sex with Jeyne Westerling, he dishonored her so he married her to save her honor at the cost of his own, and the deal with Walder Frey, honor before reason at it's center. I feel like Robb would make a better Lord of Riverrun than Lord of Winterfell. He has the right amount of military knowledge to help defend the Riverlands lack of natural borders, he has the Tully looks, he's respected by a lot of the Riverlands with the exceptions of Frey after the Jeyne incident. Anyway, I feel he would make a great Riverlord over Northern Lord, but that's just me, what do you guys think?

PS: This is just a little of fanfic headcanon that I've thought about, I've thought about who would be the best for becoming the next lord of a region of Westeros. Example like Robb Tully of Riverrun, Jon Stark of Winterfell, Harrold Arryn of the Eyrie, Joffrey Lannister of Casterly Rock, Gendry Baratheon of Storm's End etc, just little non-canon thoughts that are tinfoily. 

The reason for the Joffrey Lannister of Casterly Rock is because he is a Lannister in all but name, a cruel sadistic crazy, but a Lannister nonetheless. The reason for him being chosen is because he's apart of the "new" generation in ASOIAF. Robb, Jon, Harrold, Gendry, Joffrey, Quentyn etc are all around the same age, it's just weird headcanon that I've thought about.

Robb would make for a poor lord paramount of anywhere except his own tent.  He's good in battle but he's really bad at administration.  We read an obvious example of this when he killed Karstark and let Catelyn go unpunished.  Fickle justice results in the big picture having no justice at all.  I read on this very forum the similar criticism applied to the way Jon handled Slynt and Mance.  Consistency and impartiality are required for justice to take place. 

Many of the readers get swayed into thinking the Starks are fair and just because of the point of view style of storytelling.  Ofcourse Robb would think in his head that he's a good and just man.  He will think in his head that he's doing the right thing.  We should look at the actual results of his actions and not what goes on in the character's head.  He thinks he's fair but his actions say otherwise.  He should have let Karstark go because he let his mother go for doing something even more stupid and more wrong.  What Catelyn did was treason. 

4 hours ago, KarlDanski said:

PS: This is just a little of fanfic headcanon that I've thought about, I've thought about who would be the best for becoming the next lord of a region of Westeros. Example like Robb Tully of Riverrun, Jon Stark of Winterfell, Harrold Arryn of the Eyrie, Joffrey Lannister of Casterly Rock, Gendry Baratheon of Storm's End etc, just little non-canon thoughts that are tinfoily. 

Kudos to your honesty about your fanfic. Most folks here get extremely upset when folks call out their theories for the fanfic it is  

Edmure >>>>>>>> Robb

- Robb leaves the North at the mercy of the Ironborn and wildlings. Edmure goes against the grain and shelters his peasants in his own home.

- Robb breaks off a crucial betrothal because he couldn't keep it in his pants. Because of that, Edmure, though no fault of his own, has to marry a Frey girl and he actually goes through with it. 

- Okay, Robb defeated Jaime at the Whispering Woods and took some subpar Lannisters by surprise at Oxcross. Very impressive. Well, Edmure fought tooth and nail to defend his turf and his people and became the only character in the series who defeated Tywin Lannister in battle. 

Oh yikes... Edmure is a double-edged sword. He's got one of the best hearts in the series (up there with bleeding-heart-Daenerys), but that also ends up being a deficit in times of war. In the end, I would say he and Robb are two entirely different people with two entirely different skillsets. Edmure does not have the makings of a good war commander, which he proved over and over. He's a good man, through and through, so he would make an excellent lord during times of peace. Fair, just, open-handed, and kind. However, most highborns were not (as Davos' POV chapters in ACoK clearly indicate) suited to their stations at time of war, but politics dictated that they should be assigned important offices anyways. 

Considering that the Riverlands are historically a battleground for various wars that occur throughout the history of Westeros, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that Robb's character would be suited to life there in another life or time. He failed at the politics side of war, but he managed to do a lot with very little in comparison to Lannister resources. But I can't think of a war where politics didn't become important, so it's almost as if Robb and Edmure are foils for each other in that regard.

Please never compare Joffrey Waters to Tywin Lannister. Say what you want about Tywin but he is a political master mind who ran King's Landing as good if not better then any of the Targaryen Kings during his time as Hand especially under Aerys. Plus he is an accomplished battle commander and leader of men. 

I think Edmure makes the best lord of Riverrun! Why would you kick him out? I love both him and Robb, but I think Robb  Stark as the lord of Winterfell and Edmure Tully as lord of Riverrun is the best way to go. 

Robb was clearly admired and liked by most or the lords in the Riverlands, I still can't quite believe they chose to become part of the Northern Kingdom. But that doesn't mean they dislike Edmure or that he doesn't have the respect and loyalty of the Riverland houses. 

I never compared Joffrey to Tywin. Lannisters aren't all the same, but Joffrey is literally a Lannister in everything but name. 

I never said that they dislike Edmure or anything, but Robb's personality is more akin to Family, Duty, Honor than Winter Is Coming if you get the gist of it. He's more Tully than Stark, at least to me.

1 hour ago, KarlDanski said:

I never compared Joffrey to Tywin. Lannisters aren't all the same, but Joffrey is literally a Lannister in everything but name. 

I never said that they dislike Edmure or anything, but Robb's personality is more akin to Family, Duty, Honor than Winter Is Coming if you get the gist of it. He's more Tully than Stark, at least to me.

I guess we just see the character differently. To me Tully words fits with every house, Eddard Stark himself was all about honor, duty and protecting his family. It think all the houses has those values even if they are not their words. Robb's looks are more Tully, true, but even Cat says he is his father son. I just personally think that young wolf is the perfect king in the north..

10 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Please never compare Joffrey Waters to Tywin Lannister. Say what you want about Tywin but he is a political master mind who ran King's Landing as good if not better then any of the Targaryen Kings during his time as Hand especially under Aerys. Plus he is an accomplished battle commander and leader of men. 

Lol! That made my day. I'm guilty of calling him a Lannister (because he's certainly not a Baratheon) but, in the end, he's really a Waters.

The Tully words do not fit every house. Tywin's about Family, but not so much Duty or Honor. Eddard Stark is more about honor, and family, and does his duty if he can. Stannis is all about duty, but cares little if his honor is tarnished, and is willing to kill family. Cat may say he is his fathers son, but Eddard is more Arryn than Stark with his dominance of honor. Stark's traditionally had two types of personalities, wolf-blooded and ice-blooded. The grim, cold, and dutiful Starks and the jovial, alive, and reckless Starks. This is key with the difference between Eddard and Benjen vs Lyanna and Brandon. 

18 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Edmure >>>>>>>> Robb

- Robb leaves the North at the mercy of the Ironborn and wildlings. Edmure goes against the grain and shelters his peasants in his own home.

- Robb breaks off a crucial betrothal because he couldn't keep it in his pants. Because of that, Edmure, though no fault of his own, has to marry a Frey girl and he actually goes through with it. 

- Okay, Robb defeated Jaime at the Whispering Woods and took some subpar Lannisters by surprise at Oxcross. Very impressive. Well, Edmure fought tooth and nail to defend his turf and his people and became the only character in the series who defeated Tywin Lannister in battle. 

That was poor battle communications.  In war, you have to sacrifice to win the big battle.  Robb and his staff believe his ruse to draw the lions would have worked if Edmure had followed instructions.  We have to assume it's true for now.  Though it is hard to fault Edmure because communications was so bad that he did what made logical choice from his location.

On 2017-5-14 at 2:47 AM, KarlDanski said:

Edmure, Sansa, sure Harold, Tyrek, Edric, Sarella, Asha.

21 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Edmure >>>>>>>> Robb

Everything you say is true, but Edmure lacked wisdom in a major way.....Robb was much better able to see the big picture IMO.  Edmure should've known that by fighting tooth and nail to hold every inch of Riverlands soil that Lord Tywin was purposefully weakening all of Edmure's bannermans' forces.  Also, if Edmure had not disobeyed Robb's orders to hold Riverrun by going out and fighting the Battle of the Stone Mill, then Robb and the Blackfish may have been able to deal Lord Tywin a huge defeat in the Westerlands like they had planned.  

In reality, Edmure's disobeying of orders screwed everything up for everyone and allowed the Lannisters to become MORE powerful.  If he doesn't delay Tywin, then Tywin never gets word of Stannis marching on KL.  Then Stannis would've taken KL, killed Joffrey, and killed Cersei.  Robb may have been able to defeat Tywin on the Gold Road, and then Robb and Stannis could sue for peace.

2 hours ago, Saer said:

Edmure, Sansa, sure Harold, Tyrek, Edric, Sarella, Asha.

Edmure, Harrold, and Edrik I can get behind, but I disagree with all the others. Asha is acceptable, but why Sarella, Sansa, and Tyrek? We know very little about Sarella other than that she may be Alleras, Sansa is inexperienced and doesn't have the popularity, skill, or any traits that would make people follow her as shown in the TV show where she's been married to a Lannister, and Bolton or in the books where she's married to a Lannister and so to be to a Arryn/Hardyng. Tyrek has as much experience as Sarella and we know even littler about him than Sarella, all we know is that he disappeared and was to marry a newborn when that newborn comes of age.

Archived