It's so hard to say goodbye: TV Shows Canceled in 2017.

PetyrPunkinhead

All the cancellations and renewals for the networks' 2017-18 line-ups. 

American broadcast TV shows that have recently been canceled or aired their planned series finales:

2 Broke Girls (CBS)

APB (Fox)

American Crime (ABC)

American Gothic (CBS)

Aquarius (NBC)

The Blacklist: Redemption (NBC)

Bones (Fox)

BrainDead (CBS)

The Catch (ABC)

Conviction (ABC)

Doubt (CBS)

Dr. Ken (ABC)

Emerald City (NBC)

Frequency (The CW)

Grimm (NBC)

Imaginary Mary (ABC)

Last Man Standing (ABC)

Making History (Fox)

Mistresses (ABC)

No Tomorrow (The CW)

Notorious (ABC)

The Odd Couple (CBS)

Pitch (Fox)

Powerless (NBC)

Pure Genius (CBS)

The Real O’Neals (ABC)

Reign (The CW)

Rosewood (Fox)

Secrets and Lies (ABC)

Sleepy Hollow (Fox)

Son of Zorn (Fox)

Time After Time (ABC)

Training Day (CBS)

The Vampire Diaries (The CW)

Sorry to see Powerless, Emerald City, and especially Son of Zorn go. Emerald City was uneven at best but a guilty pleasure. There was a bit of a cliffhanger left there at the end and I would've liked to have seen that resolved. Son of Zorn was completely underrated in my opinion. Hilarious show. New Girl is "on the bubble," (click the article link for that list of shows) but my guess is it's money that's keeping them from closing. At least I hope that's it because I could use at least one more season of that show.

Dr. Ken is also canceled. It wasn't my cup o' tea, much more aimed at that TGIF audience of tweeners and parents, but I like Ken Jeong and he was only one of two Asian-American leads on a American network show. It's all on your shoulders again, Fresh Off the Boat. :/

Not from those networks but if we can talk about other shows ending this year, I will definitely miss Orphan Black. In this case it's probably a decision for the best before it sprawls further and gets messy, but I'll miss it nonetheless. But even more than the show itself, I will miss Maslany...and Evelyn Brochu's hair.

Just going through the Vox article and clicking some of the links... Comparing the ratings of some of those shows to others... ratings=/=quality, that's for certain.

1 hour ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

All the cancellations and renewals for the networks' 2017-18 line-ups. 

Sorry to see Powerless, Emerald City, and especially Son of Zorn go. Emerald City was uneven at best but a guilty pleasure. There was a bit of a cliffhanger left there at the end and I would've liked to have seen that resolved. Son of Zorn was completely underrated in my opinion. Hilarious show. New Girl is "on the bubble," (click the article link for that list of shows) but my guess is it's money that's keeping them from closing. At least I hope that's it because I could use at least one more season of that show.

Dr. Ken is also canceled. It wasn't my cup o' tea, much more aimed at that TGIF audience of tweeners and parents, but I like Ken Jeong and he was only one of two Asian-American leads on a American network show. It's all on your shoulders again, Fresh Off the Boat. :/

Grimm is the only one on that list that I watched, and was sad to see it end, but at least it's one show that got an ending.

Also, if we're including premium channels, then Black Sails needs to be mentioned.

the cancellation that bummed me out was the Knick... as much as I love orphan Black, and Black Sails (top 5 all-time for me) ... they are leaving us at the appropriate time...

.... on a side note... NBC just un-cancelled Timeless... I was never interested in it.. but I adore Abigail Spencer 

6 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

the cancellation that bummed me out was the Knick... as much as I love orphan Black, and Black Sails (top 5 all-time for me) ... they are leaving us at the appropriate time...

Agreed. I would've loved to see a season set in the 20's or 30's. Alas, 'twas not meant to be.

Also, 2 Broke Girls cancelled? Thank fucking GOD. I usually don't care about shows that I don't like that are still on television, but my god, that show was like a hot poker covered with cancer right in the eye. Just abysmal.

14 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Not from those networks but if we can talk about other shows ending this year, I will definitely miss Orphan Black. In this case it's probably a decision for the best before it sprawls further and gets messy, but I'll miss it nonetheless. But even more than the show itself, I will miss Maslany...and Evelyn Brochu's hair.

Just going through the Vox article and clicking some of the links... Comparing the ratings of some of those shows to others... ratings=/=quality, that's for certain.

I love orphan black so much I would happily have watched another 4 seasons of it 

was Orphan Black and Black Sails cancelled? In the case of Black Sails it felt far more like it reached a natural end-point and I thought a similar thing was true for Orphan Black.

Otherwise there's nothing on that list that I was watching but it still sucks when new shows are canned if people are enjoying them.

The only sure way of surviving cancellation on TV these days is being a DC comics property on CW. At the current rate they'll be able to change the channel's name to DCTV soon. They just need to incorporate Supernatural into the DC universe.

48 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

As much as I like Orphan Black, I'm interested to see what Tatiana Maslany does next. She deserves to be a huge star. 

Hey, she'll be available for a reboot of Dollhouse!  Imagine how much better that would have been with her in the lead instead of Eliza Dushku.

17 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The only one I was watching was APB, and even that I was only watching a few days after it aired, and mostly because of Natalie Martinez!

I watched the first couple of episodes, and realized that this show had no life in it, and no future. Fox has been trying to get some kind of SF procedural, and failing miserably, ever since Fringe ended. Almost Human was decent, and should not have been cancelled, but those execs have no patience with ratings.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

I watched the first couple of episodes, and realized that this show had no life in it, and no future. Fox has been trying to get some kind of SF procedural, and failing miserably, ever since Fringe ended. Almost Human was decent, and should not have been cancelled, but those execs have no patience with ratings.

Yeah, it was clear watching it that it had no future but it filled a dead spot in the week! I think I liked Almost Human more than this one. I definitely liked Limitless more than both combined.

Emerald City was a full on gem, no hint of guilt in that pleasure.  That one's a shameful cancellation.     Whereas Sleepy Hollow comes with some guilty feelings of sorrow, and a "yeah it was probably time for the axe," yet also I'm shedding a television tear.  APB insisted on making the boring aspect of tech babble their focus along with "we're a procedural and we follow police procedures don't you know," so that was doomed, too bad for the likeable heroine they didn't  quite have a complete product.   Bones was a lasting embarrassment for the nation.   Grimm was so dumb, so dumb and I watched it real hard.

The only one on that list I watched was Rosewood -- loved it, no matter that it was so incredibly fast moving, driven entirely, it felt, by seat of the pants, so loads of plot holes.  But the actors and the characters and the location were delightful.

Both Black Sails and Orphan Black had hit the end of their planned number of seasons.  It was good they stayed with it instead of starting to crowbar all kinds of inferior stuffings into it.

Archived