Varys didn't lie to Kevan

Falcon2909

6 hours ago, MostlyMoody said:

That's too meta for this book series. Character motivations aren't influenced by the readers in ASOIAF.

Anyone could be watching them. Rats can watch them, birds (literal ones) can watch them. Trees can watch them. Even once dead, Pycelle could conceivably be brought back to life and made to speak.

I'm not saying I believe that Varys was taking any of this into account. Who knows how much he really understands about magic? I'm just saying it's hard to say with any certainty that Varys knew for a fact he was unobserved.

4 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

The speech to Kevan was for the readers, not any character in the book. At the end of feast, Littlefinger spells out his plan to Sansa in private at the Eyrie. The Dance epilogue was the same, where Varys spells out his plans to to Kevan. Now the reader is fully caught up on all the plans of the two secret factions in westeros

IMO there are three factions, the third being run by Doran Martell. I lay basically every bad thing that has happened to the Lannisters at his feet (except the Purple Wedding and Tyrion killing Tywin, but I subscribe to the theory that Oberyn poisoned Tywin with Widow's Blood so he would have died anyway).

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

In that sense there is no reason to believe Pycelle had any special knowledge about Aegon that could become dangerous for Varys' plans. Not to mention that the probability is not that high that Pycelle actually was the physician of Rhaegar's children. The Prince of Dragonstone resided on Dragonstone after his wedding to Elia of Dorne, and their two children were born there and lived there. We don't know when Elia moved from Dragonstone to KL (presumably at some time during the Rebellion) but there is no hint that this led to Pycelle getting involved with the caretaking of her children. Dragonstone would have had a maester, too, a man that may have accompanied Elia and the children to the Red Keep to die there during the Sack (explaining how it came to be that Cressen ended up accompanying Stannis to the island when Stannis became Lord of Dragonstone). Another possibility is that the maester of Dragonstone returned to Dragonstone when Aerys II sent Rhaella and Viserys to the island under the protection of Ser Willem Darry.

If Aegon or Rhaenys had ever been seriously ill during their stay at the Red Keep Aerys II may have commanded Pycelle to take a look at them, but there is no reason to believe he did. Pycelle definitely wouldn't have been involved in the birth of either Rhaenys or Aegon. Not to mention that the idea that Aegon actually actually had some birthmark as an infant which should allow anybody to identify him as an adult is pretty much a longshot. Usually it is pretty difficult to say whether the picture of this or that infant is actually this or that adult man.

Crackpot: Maybe the Dragonstone maester is Haldon Halfmaester?

2 hours ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

Crackpot: Maybe the Dragonstone maester is Haldon Halfmaester?

The maester of Dragonstone would have been a proper maester which Haldon is not. He seems to be a veteran from the Golden Company who once made his way to Oldtown to forge himself some links there, perhaps even enough to make an entire chain, but ended up not becoming a maester, possibly because he simply chose not to take the vow (quite a few people did that - Lord Lyonel Strong back during the reign of Jaehaerys I, Prince Oberyn Martell).

2 hours ago, Praetor Xyn said:

IMO there are three factions, the third being run by Doran Martell. I lay basically every bad thing that has happened to the Lannisters at his feet (except the Purple Wedding and Tyrion killing Tywin, but I subscribe to the theory that Oberyn poisoned Tywin with Widow's Blood so he would have died anyway).

Meh. doran hasn't really done crap. His hot headed brother, yes. As for the poisoning, That could have been Oberyn or Varys 

3 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

I disagree. He's a master planner (watch preston jacobs's videos)

I have no need for that level of epic crackpot. They are extremely convoluted and are often based on a single line of text that he extrapolates to fit what he wants. It is an example of echo chamber think. 
What has Doran done? Nothing. He can't. Dorne is weak. He even states his 50,000 spears is a lie. Tyrion gives him an opportunity, and because he is too weak to go himself, he sends his badass brother. His brother gets killed and his only option is to send his son to marry a princess, the reverse of a plan put together years ago. The plan died with Viserys, everything else is just a scramble  

Archived