Harrenhal squires?

One served a pitchfork knight (House Haigh), one served a porcupine (House Blount), and the last boy served a knight of two towers (House Frey)

Any ideas if we are familiar with the squires from the current books? 

eldest would be of age with Jaime, LF is right age too but would be a ward to the Tullys

Plenty of Freys to choose from Boros might be a candidate but he is bald and grey but not out of the question,  does not have to be the same house as the knights of course :)

To be honest I don't think that these people are of importance themselves and their Houses were probably chosen as they are "bad" Houses with bad family traits. So I think the squires were not characters we've met although I can totally see that the Blount knight would have been Boros who have not distilled much chivalry into his squire.

The sigils represent the houses of the knights they served, not necessarily the family where the squires came from.  It is not every squire who end up a knight.  Some make a career of squiring.  Lack of funds to purchase the right horse will end a career even before it begins.  

Some thoughts, just based on what we know of the dynamics among the houses. I can't guess about specific identities, but maybe GRRM's point was to give us some literary hints; the specific individuals aren't necessary for the foreshadowing or whatever he was trying to tell us through the attack by the squires on Howland Reed.

The Frey and Haigh families are pretty closely allied, so they may come from similar mindsets. We know that Little and Big Walder are openly contemptuous of crannogmen, based on their reaction when Jojen and Meera arrive at the harvest feast at Winterfell. And we know how we feel about the Frey notion of honor and their treatment of the Starks.

Haigh, with the pitchfork sigil, may be part of a hay and straw motif: Bran has a guard named Hayhead after he wakes up from his coma; Prince Tommen is "defeated" at jousting by a strawman at Joffrey's name day tournament (the straw practice dummy spins around and knocks him off his pony); and scarecrow straw men are used to try to fool the wildlings into thinking that the Night's Watch has more defenders than they can really muster. I haven't yet figured out a single, unifying interpretation that would explain these uses of the hay and straw symbols. (And maybe I've confused myself by assuming that hay and straw are related symbols when they should be two separate things.)

As you point out, Blount, from the Crownlands, doesn't seem like a match for the other two squires. I would assume House Blount was loyal to the Baratheons and that King Robert put Ser Boros into the Kingsguard. Because Ser Boros Blount is the only known Blount in the books, the participation of an unnamed Blount squire in the beating is probably intended to tell us something - symbolically - about Ser Boros and/or King Robert.

There isn't a lot of porcupine symbolism that would give us additional clues. I searched on hedgehogs once and found it associated with Starks and Karstarks, although I think there as also a wildling association. I don't know if there would even be a logical link between hedgehogs and porcupines, other than they both have prickly posteriors. There is a lot of symbolism around pines and pork, though. I would not put it past GRRM to unite these two symbols in a porcupine-associated character. Pines are associated with sentinel trees, I believe, so that would reinforce the idea of a guard. Pork is complicated, but I think it is associated with Tyrion when he rides the pig in Penny's jousting act. So that might tie in again with the "fake" warfare that is found in a tournament. Of course, pork and pigs are related to wild boars, and boars are associated with King Robert (and, I believe, with Robb Stark).

Tournaments tell us something about upcoming battles and other events. So here would be some initial guesses about the associations or symbolism of the three squires and the elements surrounding them:

• The Harrenhal tournament is our best source of clues for Lyanna's story, and her possible involvement with Rhaegar. The next scene that provides clues about these central but mysterious characters is the Tower of Joy. Howland Reed was at both of these locations. Maybe the squire interaction foreshadows the ToJ events or provides a mirror, inverted image of the ToJ events.
  • Three squires beat Howland before the tournament; Howland (and five others) fight three members of the Kingsguard at the ToJ.
  • Blount is associated with the Kingsguard and with Robert. (Later, he is associated with protecting Joffrey and Tommen.)
  • Whent is one of the Kingsguard members at ToJ. House Whent is associated with Harrenhal.
  • Harrenhal goes to ruin after the tournament; the ToJ is pulled down and used for burial cairns after Howland and Ned defeat the Kingsguard there.
  • If you include the guard "Hayhead" and the scarecrows in the Haigh / hay symbolism, there are "hay guards" assisting in keeping both Bran and Jon Snow safe. (There are six scarecrows with Jon in the Tower of the King, along with Deaf Dick Follard and Satin, so there is the six vs. three again.)
  • Lyanna was betrothed to Robert but was either kidnapped or she rejected him. Robb Stark was betrothed to a Frey but he reneged on his deal and married someone else.
  • Do the three squires at the tournament symbolize or foreshadow the three members of the Kingsguard keeping a prince safe? If Lyanna is the Knight of the Laughing Tree who protects the crannogman and avenges the attack on him, what does it mean that the (widely-believed-to-be) mother of the baby prince at the ToJ is attacking/defeating the knights associated with the three squires? Maybe she is asserting her rejection of the betrothal to Robert Baratheon - she will choose the man who will be the father of her baby. Here she defeats the three; in the "mirror" scene at the ToJ, she is on the same side with the three guards.
  • There may be other scenes from the ASoIaF books or from history or legend that contain some of these elements and could help us to decipher the clues:
    • three "guards" or squires or other attendants;
    • six opponents; (The guards and opposition could switch sides, so the six are guarding the prince)
    • a baby prince in hiding;
    • a woman warrior or woman giving birth (there is a conversation between Catelyn and Brienne in ACoK where they discuss the similarities between giving birth and going into battle);
    • a Howland-like character (hard to know, since we don't know much about him - I would guess someone exploring the world and without a violent motive);
    • a broken engagement.
    • a ruined tower or castle.
    • maybe also details such as blue flowers and a queen of love and beauty.

Archived