GRRM on Game of Thrones Successor

Westeros

Over at the “Not a Blog”—which will soon be retired in preference to a new blog, we’re told—George R.R. Martin has taken the time to discuss the recent news that HBO has four pilot scripts in development for a potential successor to Game of Thrones. George’s post is very illuminating, clarifying some details and providing a few hints, as well as a couple of clear and categorical responses.

It’s worth reading, but below are some key points:

read on >>>

View the full article

Bryan Cogman seems like a good guess for the unnamed fifth writer, as speculated on the ASOIAF Reddit:

1. GRRM praised the writer's knowledge of Westeros, as he has done with Cogman in the past.

2. GRRM mentioned in his post that he's been meeting with the spinoff writers.

3. Cogman tweeted recently about meeting with GRRM.

I'm not sure that I agree with this bit of speculation:

That said, we’d guess Goldman or Wray is working on the one pitch from George that HBO has decided to go forward with

GRRM seemed to suggest that in a best case scenario, there may be five different shows, which suggests that all the spinoff script writers are all working on different ideas.

As I recall, GRRM was mighty keen on a Dunk & Egg spinoff in the past. I'm guessing HBO nixed it, and I can't say that I blame them.

Great to get an update from GRRM. Even if it doesn't reveal much, it is quite nice to hear some news from him. Interested to see what these successor shows might be, if not Dunk & Egg or Robert's Rebellion... Maybe Aegon's Conquest? The Andal Invasions?

GRRM said that Dunc and Egg was nixed because shortly they would run into the same problem as currently exists with GoT, that being that the series would quickly outstrip the books and "series canon" would become more important than "book canon".  That being said I have gone from being excited about this to just feeling "meh".  I'm not interested in Aegon's Conquest or the Andals or any of that stuff.  Personally I can't imagine anything duller than a series with Baelor the Blessed or Bran the Builder.  And the knowledge that some of this will deal with Essos, well, I just hate the whole idea of Essos storylines.  I know I'm in the minority here and for the folks who love these ideas great but as for me thank God for Westworld.

Archived