The Best Shipbuilders

The Commentator

Hard to say. There are several purposes for ships. Warships, fishing boats, trade galleys, one culture might be better at building one and inferior at another. The Ironborn are supposedly great ship builders, arguably among the best, but Stannis beat them all the same. Also, the Redwyne fleet is large and worth fearing, but Davos Seaworth managed to elude them and navigate his way to Storm's End. The same sea which destroyed Steffon Baratheon's best ship was conquered by a common smuggler.

Tldr; it's not just the make of the ship which makes a fleet successful, so naming the best fleet on that alone doesn't work.

Braavos.  They have a more advanced culture than the Ironborn and they are completely dependent on sea trade.  Qarth too is advanced but they could always purchase their ships from Braavos.  We don't enough about Ibben.  The Redwynes are traders but do they build their own ships or buy them?  Summer Islanders could possess a design technology that Braavos may lack but we have yet to see that.  I will say Braavos for now.

I vote for Braavos

A Feast for Crows - Arya I

The shadow lifted, the pine-clad ridges fell away to either side, the winds dwindled, and they found themselves moving through a great lagoon. Ahead rose another sea mont, a knob of rock that pushed up from the water like a spiked fist, its stony battlements bristling with scorpions, spitfires, and trebuchets. "The Arsenal of Braavos," Denyo named it, as proud as if he'd built it. "They can build a war galley there in a day." Arya could see dozens of galleys tied up at quays and perched on launching slips. The painted prows of others poked from innumerable wooden sheds along the stony shores, like hounds in a kennel, lean and mean and hungry, waiting for a hunter's horn to call them forth. She tried to count them, but there were too many, and more docks and sheds and quays where the shoreline curved away.

Well, it looks like the ironborn are good builders in the sense that they have to work with a limited amount of resorces. But Braavos has the technology. And Summer Islands has ships with proven rep of exploring.

So, I guess it comes down to from what factor you measure. Do we assume unlimited amount of resources? Do we assume some kind of golden standard when it comes to design? Do we just give it to the place with the best tech? Or do we argue that said tech gives and unfair advantage, which in turn means that they are not so good shipbuilders since said tech makes it easy for them to stay on top?

Archived