NBA Playoffs 2017: Kawhi Did You Injure Me?

Manhole Eunuchsbane

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well I got that wrong. The Celtics are so over matched. I still think they'll win a game though. 

I'll add one caveat, I would absolutely trade the two picks for George if he'd agree to a sign and trade. 

Same. The certainty that he'd leave town  as soon as possible was my main objection to a pricey George trade.

I dunno if George would have made a difference last night, but I'm even more convinced that keeping the picks and drafting Fultz and aiming for two or three years down the line is the best strategy for the Celtics. 

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

They can just snap up Gordon Hayward in Free Agency, right? Given they have the cap room and he's willing. That seems like the better move to me. You give up nothing for a fairly comparable talent.

This is what I'm hoping for, yes. I hope the draw of his old college coach will be enough for Hayward.

14 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Same. The certainty that he'd leave town  as soon as possible was my main objection to a pricey George trade.

I dunno if George would have made a difference last night, but I'm even more convinced that keeping the picks and drafting Fultz and aiming for two or three years down the line is the best strategy for the Celtics. 

I agree that he'd leave unless you guys some how won a title. 

As far as making a difference goes, I think all he'd give you is losing in six instead of losing in four or five. That's not worth giving up Fultz and a top four pick next year for a year and a half rental. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Ok, then how many consecutive first round picks would I have to add to make you not do the deal? 

10? 20? As long as Dolan owns this team we are going to be losers. No matter how many first rounders you give us. 

The one competent person in the front office, who is responsible for some of our better draft picks in the last decade is interviewing for the Atlanta GM position. Once he's gone, its a total fucking shit show, on a micro scale of Trump's White House. 

15 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

3, but only if they're unprotected.

You lack the sufficient hatred of James Dolan to be able to answer this question. See below:

14 minutes ago, Relic said:

10? 20? As long as Dolan owns this team we are going to be losers. No matter how many first rounders you give us. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You lack the sufficient hatred of James Dolan to be able to answer this question. See below:

True, I'm not a Knicks fan, but I have hated Dolan ever since Jaime posted this a couple of seasons back...

/Take your hat off in church, you uncouth fuck.

10 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

True, I'm not a Knicks fan, but I have hated Dolan ever since Jaime posted this a couple of seasons back...

/Take your hat off in church, you uncouth fuck.

Fun fact, he makes his employees go to his concerts. 

Is it really any surprise that when real, legitimate smart business people buy franchises (and those people don't try to run the basketball side of things themselves), that those franchises start running circles around the family dynasty clown cars? Woudl love to be a fly on the wall when you've got hedge fund billionaires and tech guys in there with a bunch of mopey Dolan's, Irsays, Buss's etc.

Well....

I think the Caveliers play one more game in Boston and tell the folks see y'all next season.

And I think Danny will take Fultz and build for when LeBrons career is done.

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Holy ****, I can't believe what I just heard on the radio about LeBron:

1. He's the same size as Karl Malone

2. His PER with a weeks rest is over 42

3. He's the only guy in NBA history to be faster at 30 than he was at 25 (since they started measuring this)

4. He's averaging 35/10/8 on 55% shooting in the playoffs. 

Bow down.

The All-NBA Team lists have been released today. The most salient point to me is that Gordon Hayward did not make any of the teams. If he had, the Jazz would have been able to offer him way more money on an extension than any other team.  Paul George was also left off the list, but he can still get on the list next year. The numbers for these Designated Player Veteran extensions are ludicrous -- John Wall, by making the third team, is eligible for a 4-year, $168 million extension. Jesus Christ!

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/05/18/all-nba-team-awards-lebron-james-stephen-curry-paul-george-gordon-hayward

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

The All-NBA Team lists have been released today. The most salient point to me is that Gordon Hayward did not make any of the teams. If he had, the Jazz would have been able to offer him way more money on an extension than any other team.  Paul George was also left off the list, but he can still get on the list next year. The numbers for these Designated Player Veteran extensions are ludicrous -- John Wall, by making the third team, is eligible for a 4-year, $168 million extension. Jesus Christ!

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/05/18/all-nba-team-awards-lebron-james-stephen-curry-paul-george-gordon-hayward

I did not realize there were CBA contractual components to the All-NBA awards; that's pretty nuts. I'd assumed players sometimes have incentive clauses in their contracts, but to have specific extensions and exemptions only available on the basis of the results of outside voting seems real weird.

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Amazing Knick fact of the day - 

Let that sink in for a moment. Over the past 16 years, the only teams with worse average draft position than the Knicks were the Spurs, Mavericks, Heat, Lakers and Pacers. These are all successful teams that generally picked late because they were good at basketball. Not surprisingly, the Knicks own the largest average discrepancy between where they should have picked in the draft and where they actually picked.

Bad lottery luck has played a part. Since winning the Ewing sweepstakes in 1985, the Knicks haven’t moved up a single draft spot via the lottery 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-knicks-cant-even-get-the-draft-lottery-right/?addata=espn:nba:index

It's intriguing what Boston will do with that number 1 pick.

As good as he is, I would not mind the idea of them trading Thomas, if it nets them George or Butler.

Fultz looks excellent, and I just don't see how the combination Fultz/Thomas works. And I'd really like to keep Fultz if I'm the Celtics.

As for Hayward, good player but to me slightly less valuable than George or Butler. Supposing that they can lure him, keep Fultz and Thomas, that is an obvious improvement but I'd rather have George or Butler with Fultz, mid term. This due to the size of Thomas' massive next contract and I think he will decline in two seasons.

Archived